Attempted Suicide/Suicide/Murder

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now I am a usually a happy person. And I have a lot of friends at the DND, and from my cadet days. However to look back on the moment some of my friends have actually passed on at very young ages because of the three reasons I list above.

First off, I had a friend (the security guard) who witnessed a home invasion reported to the police and then was gunned down outside his home as his parents watched t.v.

Then I had a friend of a friend have his head blown off as he was dancing at a school dance in Alberta.

Then another friend hanged himself.

And another one, a small little guy attempted to hang himself but his parents came in and cut him before he ran out of oxygen.

So hopefully none of my other friends try any of that stuff because I might get suspicious if more of my friends keep dying. Even though all those incidents were 4 to 5 years ago.

<edited to correct a tiny typo in subject line>

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Re: Attempted Sucicide/Suicide/Murder

the death rate from unnatural causes does seem to be higher than average amoung your friends- probably just a coincidence

or maybe you subconsciously attract people who are unstable-

its probably not that your doing anything to push them in that direction

as for the murder--how did that happen
dont hear much about albertans going beserk like that- thats becoming a toronto trade mark though

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Re: Attempted Sucicide/Suicide/Murder

Jersey; my father had five young men crew his boat one summer season. These men were under the age of 21, of these five-four committed suicide over a period of 5 months. The survivor told Dad that after the first suicide the others became depressed and a ripple effect of depression trickled to the other three. One shot himself, the second a drug over dose, third hung himself, and the forth slit his wrist at the grave of the first suicide. It was a very grim time for the families, and I still wonder could we of stopped it.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
RE: Attempted Sucicide/Suicide/Murder

apparently the highest per capita suicide rate in the world is finland not sweden
its generally thought that its the very long winters- ie the lack of daylight which results in low melatonin production by the pineal gland in the brian.

south america- as a region has the lowest suicide rate in the world - that is attributed to the strong anti-suicide ethic of roman catholcism- but the weather might be a factor as well- apparently it is harder to kill yourself if its bright and sunny outside.

i think its true that suicide can be infectious, despite freedoom of the press-its generally understood by the media that its not good public health policy to publish occurrances of suicide-many people on the brink are actually encouraged to procede with their own plans when they hear that others have had the courage to finally do it.

somewheree in my vast library of books- most of i havent read yet theres actually a collection of peoples actual suicide notes the book is called
---or not to be---
isnt that weird

some people who are contemplating suicide may sometimes start to talk about the topic as a disguised attempt to seek consolation

i hope your not thinking about it

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
the death rate from unnatural causes does seem to be higher than average amoung your friends- probably just a coincidence

or maybe you subconsciously attract people who are unstable-

its probably not that your doing anything to push them in that direction

as for the murder--how did that happen
dont hear much about albertans going beserk like that- thats becoming a toronto trade mark though

Thanks, I feel better from what you guys said. It is amazing about Alberta, I think my friend had ticked someone off, and he got his head blown off. Don't know what happened to the guy who pulled the trigger.

And it is possible that the one who hanged himself did it because that guy was his friend.

The other two who attempted murder and was murdered, didn't know the guy who got his head blown off.

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
I had an aunt commit suicide back in 1996, she had shot herself in the mouth, she had attempted suicide in the past, we know why she did it because she left a note.

I have another aunt who's attempted suicide many times as well, she has Bi-Polars.

I also have a best friend who's attempted suicide many times, I've had to talk to him and try to talk him out of doing it.

I've also attempted suicide as well.

glossprincess

Electoral Member
Feb 5, 2006
That's very brave of you to admit that Riyko and you know you have everyone's support here if you wanna talk about it. I think at some stage of their life, everyone feels like nothing is going right and that it would be better if they just werent around anymore. But the truth is, things could always be worse! And even if things really are shite, its up to the individual to change that, instead of focusing on the negatives. This may sound harsh, but I find suicide to be a form of weakness. It is simply giving up, not wanting to try anymore.

The worst story I ever heard was that a colleague of my mum had a baby, got post-natal depression and killed herself. Her husband then got so depressed that he killed himself as well. Their baby, as well as their 7 year old son will now grow up without any parents. Is that not the most horrible, selfish and weak thing you can think of?!?!

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
That is selfish of them to do especally with kids that they should of been taking care of.

It's the first time i've actually said anything about it, but I do agree with you that people do think that at times they feel like their worthless and don't feel they should be around anymore. After my aunt committed suicide I saw that it does affect people yet a couple of times I attempted it.

Naci_Sey

Apr 30, 2006
Paradise - Vancouver Island
Re: RE: Attempted Suicide/Suicide/Murder

Riyko said:
I had an aunt commit suicide back in 1996, she had shot herself in the mouth, she had attempted suicide in the past, we know why she did it because she left a note.

I have another aunt who's attempted suicide many times as well, she has Bi-Polars.

I also have a best friend who's attempted suicide many times, I've had to talk to him and try to talk him out of doing it.

I've also attempted suicide as well.

Hello Riyko. I'm new to the board...

It's important for you to know that it is definitely NOT the case that people who are clinically depressed and thus susceptible to suicide are somehow weak or to blame for their condition. Clinical depression is equivalent to depression of the will.

Telling someone who is depressed or suicidal that they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps is like telling another who has a broken leg that it will heal if they walk on it. You can no more fix a broken will with a broken will, than you can fix a broken leg with a broken leg.

People who are depressed/suicidal need help! Going it alone or trying to put on a brave face is not the way toward recovery. Riyko, it's not a weakness to recognize that you have a medical condition or to seek help for it. In fact, taking this step is one of the bravest things a person with suicidal thoughts can do.

Please PM me if you need to talk. I've been where you are and done substantial research in the field.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Very true words Naci. (welcome btw..)

People who are clinically depressed are often not even able to identify this fact... so seeking help is often done by having others intervene on their behalf... it is a terrible situation, with much stigma still associated with it, complicating the process even further. If one has ever known someone who has suffered from this debilitating health issue, one would quickly see that this is not something one 'chooses'. Living with a complete loss of interest in all things that once brought joy or fulfillment makes for a very bleak existence, particularly if the sufferer is being judged by those who do not understand the reality of depression.

If anyone reading this knows someone who just doesn't seem themselves, and it's been going on for any length of time, I would urge them to reach out and encourage that person to seek medical assistance. People with depression can function for great lengths of time with few outward symptoms that would be apparent - gradual withdrawal from friends, family, social activity can take awhile to become noticible - until it is too late, or the person has completely isolated themselves in their world of pain.

What I'd like everyone to know is that this is a treatable condition.... people can and do come back to fully functioning lives with help. This is also much more common that most people realize. Chances are that someone you know, work with or socialize with - maybe even a fmaily member - is being treated for depression and because the treatment is often so successful, you would never even know.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I wont get into my own personal past its no longer important. But my SoulMate drives a train and in the past 2 weeks alone 5 people have committed suicide via train. I personally feel this is a horrendous and selfish way to go. The drivers are crushed emotionally and it takes months for them to regroup. Personally if your in that much pain I feel its up to you whether you want to take your chance with Karma (Ive recently come to the realisation that nothing is worth going through any of this again) or not BUT noone has a right to drag anyone else down with you.

To the point about suicide being contagious the answer is yes.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/suicide-publications.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000009.htm

These links are for the Center for Disease Control and they talk about prevention (especially among teens)

Ive enough stories to fill a book (might write it some day) Zans post deserves a second read and I'll add that if you or someone you know is seriously contemplating suicide and dont want to "bug" your friends (or they dont) then call your local suicide hotline. People who are willing to talk will usually come through. Its the ones that dont say a word that we loose.