It's tax time, who's getting RRSP.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Well it's tax time, the other half has been in the basement a week. He says he's doing the taxes, I think it's called the Olympics. So I am off to the bank tomorrow to get this years RRSP's, any one got any good suggestions. LOW RISK please.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Sassylassie said:
Well it's tax time, the other half has been in the basement a week. He says he's doing the taxes, I think it's called the Olympics. So I am off to the bank tomorrow to get this years RRSP's, any one got any good suggestions. LOW RISK please.

Low risk? Can't help you there. Check out Morningstar.ca, it should have lots of info to help you. Why low risk, if I can ask? Are you retiring or taking out money soon? I've got a good 30 years until retirement :cry: , so my stategy is maximum aggressive. Anyone with a long timeline until they will withdraw I'd always suggest aggressive mutual funds or other holdings. Yeah, they go up & down a lot more, but over the long run they will deliver great returns.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
After September 11 we lost over $30,000 in our portfolo, My husband stayed with playing the market and has since recovered the loss. I changed to Bonds that have 3% interest anually. I am a nervous nelly when it comes to money. I am now ready to invest in more risky investments.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Low risk? What's the point in that?

We've always put money away over the course of the year, and we tend to go 60% equity / 40% bond/money market....this method has done us well over the last 15 years.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
:lol: Everybody lost after 9/11! If you had of kept the money in, you would have made it back and then some by now. The key is to have a strategy and stick with it. Anybody more than 20 years from retirement I'd recommend going 100% equity, lots of foreign content, thrown in some more aggessive plays like sector funds or small or micro caps. Gradually shift more into bonds, money market etc... as you near retirement. You are focused on the risk of a downturn in the market but there is another important risk too: inflation. If the return on your investments aren't keeping pace, that is going to dramatically cut into your earnings post-retirement.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Sassylassie said:
Well it's tax time

Now listen here, this is a pretty brutal topic for a nice family board like this. Considering how many times I see the ta*** word in this thread I just about had to delete the whole thing. Now, clean up your language, Missy Sassy! :lol:

Now I am all upset and thinking about the sordid subject. Tsk.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Haggis; I refer to this time of year as Plucking criminal. Why doesn't the government take it all and just give me a cardboard box and show me where the food banks are. Really there is very little left when they are done with me.