What is your favorite store? What stores to you hate?

Sassylassie
I love HOME HARDWARE, Canadian Tire, Lee Valley. I don't know what half the stuff is for but I love tools. I hate Walmart, Home Despot the "Worst Customer Service Award" goes to this store. The dollar store, they sell junk.

Haggis McBagpipe
I like Winners, and, for some reason, London Drugs. I like sports stores, computer shops, and hardware stores. Like you, I despise Walmart and Home Despot.

the caracal kid
the B&O Store
the Apple Store
Sur la table
REI
ferrariquebec
dizzy's cycle
ecomarine ocean kayak centre
y franks appliances
the cat hospital

missile
Coles Books, CDPlus, Canadian Tire, The City Market, and Cyber Solutions

Curiosity
Any book store - anywhere - anytime

Tuesday Mornings

Cost Plus World Market

Starbucks - anywhere - anytime

I don't hate any stores - I just ignore them and don't visit

Said1
Giant Tiger and Pharma Plus. I can't live without either. Impossible.

missile
I don't hate; but United Book Stores isn't on my good side I went in and signed up last year to one of their subscription services and ordered a number of periodicals. for 5 months,I went in to check if something had come in for me & Nothing! So, basically I told them to stuff it and cancelled.

Curiosity
Missile

That would have had me in a spin - waiting five months shows you have the patience of Job.

I have none.

unclepercy
Well, we like Walmart. Not my fav. But I used to like Kmart until they closed all their stores in my area. I don't care much for Target, but I like Best Buy better than any other store.

Uncle

I think not
Barnes & Noble Bookstores, they never bother you when you pickup a book from their shelfs and hang out with a cup of coffee and read. Love it!

Everything I else, I buy online.

missile
That's one of the nice things about the book stores in my little city..two slightly retarded people,a brother & sister,go to every mag and book store here and read everything for free and no one has ever kicked them out[except me once] or had them arrested.

Sassylassie
I see there is alot of fellow readers. I belong to several book clubs (No not Botice rippers, gag) but I to love book stores.

missile
I like when you walk into a shop and the clerk asks if he/she can help you find something..the first time! After the second and third attempt to "help" me, I just walk out as they really do not want my business. Sometimes,I just feel like looking around and browsing

Sassylassie
I love Used Book stores, I can browse for hours. I often pick early addsions up at Antique Auctions for mere peanuts.

Toro
Pretty much any store with alcohol in it.

unclepercy
Quote: Originally Posted by Sassylassie

I love Used Book stores, I can browse for hours. I often pick early addsions up at Antique Auctions for mere peanuts.

I love these too. We have a small chain in our city, and I have to discipline myself about going in there. I have books that are 10 years old that I haven't been able to get to - I need to catch up first.

Uncle

Soupkan
Well not a big time Wal mart lover no no no!
I do like Giant Tiger in our small town but in the city I enjoyed Pier 1

Toro
I love Borders and Barnes and Nobles.

Then I buy all my books on Amazon.

Soupkan
I am not a big Wal mart lover no,no,no.
I like Giant Tiger it;s all we have here in our tiny little town but when in the city I enjoy Pier 1 and Reitmans.

Curiosity
Bookstores - especially ones with coffee bars attached are great places to meet prospective dates.... a lot better than bars.

I especially love used book stores too....where you can find out of print books you loaned ten years ago to someone who never returned them.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Wednesday's Child

I especially love used book stores too....where you can find out of print books you loaned ten years ago to someone who never returned them.

Abebooks is one of my favourite online stores. www.abebooks.com (external - login to view)

They pretty much have every book in the whole world listed in there, I think just about every secondhand bookstore anywhere lists there. I have found books so rare and out-of-print that I despaired of ever finding them, and *poof* there they are, at ABE.

Sassylassie
Yep I am a reading junky. Wednesday, the other half gets crumpy when I pick up dates. My favorite part of the day is when I can quietly sit in the sun room and read a book undisturbed. I hate anyone talking to me when I read. Now if the heat only worked in the sun room, burr it's cold in there today. -27 outhside with the wind chill, now that's not human.

Curiosity
Haggis

Thanks so much - I didn't know about ABE.....will check it out....

I have pretty much stopped lending books to people because they don't understand my death threats after a year has gone by.

Sassy

Hehe.....caught ya about flirting did I?

Books are my best friend in addition to my refrigerator. Although I am having some restful snoozes "watching" curling at the Olympics... :P

Haggis McBagpipe

I have pretty much stopped lending books to people because they don't understand my death threats after a year has gone by.

Oh boy, I sure know what you man. I've lost a few of my favourites that way. Now I don't lend out books to anybody unless they use their first-born for collateral.

Curiosity
Haggis

I lug my books around with my as if they were family. Actually they give me more peace than some family members!

Years ago I had a garage sale and decided to put out some of my books I hadn't read or reread in a while. I sold quite a few and while helping one gal pack some into a plastic bag, I started to pull some back and tell her I'd changed my mind. Ha! She thought I'd lost my few marbles.

Even then I cried when she trundled away to her car with MY books!

One of my best buds works as a volunteer in our local library. She eyes my bookcases (eight of them) with a gleam in her eye and I have to steer her away from reading the titles. She would love to donate some of them to her "cause".

I think I will make a sign "NOT FOR SALE OR BORROWING"...to end all requests!

Dexter Sinister

Any book store - anywhere - anytime

Yep, I'm with you on that one, though I have a preference for the small independents and second hand shops over the big chains. You should see my study: wall to wall, floor to ceiling bookcases on two walls, and I'm eyeing up a third wall for more. And any stationery store; I love all that fresh clean white paper, and all those fancy pens and pencils, and geometry sets, and fresh crisp manila folders, and all those cool little desk organizer thingies...

Also Rona, Canadian Tire (despite that annoying know-it-all in their ads), Sears (just the tools department), Office Depot, and a little photo shop near where I live called Bird Films, which has some of the most knowledgeable, helpful, cheerful, friendly, most professional staff I've ever encountered anywhere.

I don't hate any stores, but there are some I refuse to enter. Wal-Mart, The Gap, American Outfitters, and Tip Top Tailors. The reasons: sometimes personal conviction and principle--Wal-Mart runs exploitive sweat shops in Mexico, for instance--and sometimes because I or a friend have been so ill-served by the staff in them that I decided never to shop there again. I haven't been in a Tip Top outlet for over 30 years because a very bad-tempered salesman once tried to throw a friend and I out of the store. My friend was looking for a suit, he asked the guy which were the suit racks, the guy showed us to racks of jackets, my friend reminded him he'd asked for suits, not jackets, and the bozo started to argue with him belligerently, called him names, called him stupid... Intolerable behaviour, poisoned that place for me forever.

Edited to add this, after I saw the other posts above:

I don't lend books either. If I feel strongly that someone I care about ought to read a book I care about, I'll buy another copy as a gift rather than lend mine. I once destroyed a book I found, because it had absolutely no redeeming characteristics at all, it was the most execrable crap, called Summer Camp ****, so you can imagine what it was about. I used it as fire starter, which was certainly a better use for its paper than what was printed on it. But still... It was a BOOK. And I BURNED it. Felt guilty for weeks. In fact I still feel a twinge remembering it.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister

[ I once destroyed a book I found, because it had absolutely no redeeming characteristics at all, it was the most execrable crap, called Summer Camp ****, so you can imagine what it was about. I used it as fire starter

You know you've just broken Zoofer's heart, right?

Sassylassie
I'll check and see if I can find a copy in my Archives for Zoofer. Wednesday, I once had a garage sale and I put out seven tubs full of books to sell and it broke my heart. I wanted to say goodbye to each book, many tears were shed that day. Haggis, holding the first born hostage, brillant? Wait, I'm afraid of babies.

Curiosity
Bibliophiles all!

I feel so at home here instead of nagging about Muslims.... do you think we are all descended from one family way back????

Sassy I don't feel such a wimp now for crying....I think it's nice to care about things. Some people think books are for decoration or to promote their "literary taste" and never crack one book !!

Summer Camp **** was probably written by Zoofer! He is such a bad boy and if he didn't author it, no doubt was a consultant on the project hahaha....

Books are best friends - they will cheer us, make us cry, make us think, educate us, reaffirm our personal thoughts and desires, and inspire us to better goals....they rarely let us down and never mistreat us as we sometimes do to them.

Dexter.... I secretly love stationery stores too....and it is the only thing I miss about our new computer world. I loved creating personalized stationery and cards to send to my family .. something special only for that person... now it is so easy to produce things in an instant, it has taken the fun out for me....
and I am not very good at cyber things.

This has been a really pleasant interlude because I have been in trouble all day visiting the dark places in my heart with all the topics on Muslims... and visiting the "Tax Guy"..... so thank you all for the best time reading all of your messages....

Haggis Have you ever written a novel around a collection of forum members? You have a wonderful cast to draw from here at CanCon.

Cosmo
One of my favourite stores in the world is Lush (external - login to view) ... I can't even walk by one without going in! Amazing products!!!