U.N course

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Well, I guess most of you know by now that I like the U.N very much. And I plan to go on a ton of U.N missions either as an aid worker for UNICEF or as a U.N soldier for Canada.

So, right now I have been taking a course on U.N security and it is showing me alot about the U.N which is extremely interesting. And with 6 out of ten lessons done, I am doing well with a 85% average. I need 75% average to pass.

So I might explain more to you guys about the structure of the U.N later if you want.

However, I will just like to say;

I know all about the Oil for Food, the Sex Abuse, the Rwanda and Bosnia tragedies, I understand and I am saddened by it, but this is only a small fact of actual U.N life.

There are 30,000 employees for the U.N and an average of 80,000 peacekeepers each year under the U.N, and aid workers number about another 10,000

so around about 120,000 people, and 95% of these people were not involved in these incidents at all. It was mostly done on the diplomatic level, diplomats decided what should be done, and restrained their workers.

And finally, to note, the U.N is a humanitarian organization, the largest the world has ever known, and if it wasn't for these political restraints, if it wasn't restrained by political forces it would probably be the best in the world, but I believe and always will believe that it is the best organization that the world will see for a long time.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Jersay said:
I know all about the Oil for Food, the Sex Abuse, the Rwanda and Bosnia tragedies, I understand and I am saddened by it, but this is only a small fact of actual U.N life.

Jersay said:
and if it wasn't for these political restraints, if it wasn't restrained by political forces it would probably be the best in the world,

See above quote.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I just read an interesting lesson.

As a U.N peacekeeper, you are not allowed any fire arm unless issued by the U.N.

Because of its humanitarian nature.

Also, if you are off duty, you are most likely not going to be in uniform so if you are met by armed men of any kind you;

raise your hands and don't make any sudden moves. And clearly state that you are a member of the United Nations.

Also, if you are kidnapped and taken hostage as a U.N peacekeeper, there have been 120 hostage takings, 80 U.N peacekeepers have been killed after being taken hostage.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Jersay

I gotta say it....you are breaking my heart .... you have such a positive inspired attitude.

I think you are way too good for the U.N. as it is now.

You see what is was "meant to be" not as it is.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Jersay

I gotta say it....you are breaking my heart .... you have such a positive inspired attitude.

I think you are way too good for the U.N. as it is now.

You see what is was "meant to be" not as it is.

But maybe, I am what the U.N needs.

I like the U.N very much, for what it has done, and I believe it has done a lot of good for a lot of people. UNICEF and the aid workers for the U.N do alot of thankless jobs as well as the peacekeepers who only get recognize basically in the media, if a whole bunch of them get killed, or if a few do something wrong, or if they can't act to save civilians.

That is why when my parents and sister ask me why I want to join the U.N I don't have an answer, its hard to answer that question, and I think with this course that I am taking its helping me to see some parts of the U.N that people rarely if ever see or recognize.

The U.N had to do something right if it got the Nobel Peace Prize in 1988.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Well Jersay

You just go out there and make things right - and come back here and say: "I told you so"!!!

I would love to hear it!

I hope your time spent in the U.N. is everything you wish for.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Well Jersay

You just go out there and make things right - and come back here and say: "I told you so"!!!

I would love to hear it!

I hope your time spent in the U.N. is everything you wish for.

Thank you;

I just hope I don't come home in a body bag.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Jersay

The odds are in your favor you will be back here giving us all the scoop on your life's wonderful adventure.

Then you can write a book!

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Jersay

The odds are in your favor you will be back here giving us all the scoop on your life's wonderful adventure.

Then you can write a book!

Yeah, you know you are right.

Besides just quickly looking at my course, it says that even if you do become a casualty as a U.N peacekeeper, 75 of the time you survive, or in any combat situation, 75% of casualties survive.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Jersay said:
I just read an interesting lesson.

As a U.N peacekeeper, you are not allowed any fire arm unless issued by the U.N.

Because of its humanitarian nature.

Also, if you are off duty, you are most likely not going to be in uniform so if you are met by armed men of any kind you;

raise your hands and don't make any sudden moves. And clearly state that you are a member of the United Nations.

Also, if you are kidnapped and taken hostage as a U.N peacekeeper, there have been 120 hostage takings, 80 U.N peacekeepers have been killed after being taken hostage.

I too am a little taken by your enthusiasm to do good.

However I do not believe that the UN issues you weapons. I know for a fact that when the US went to Somalia they didn't trade in their weapons for UN issued ones.

So basically when you are confronted by hostile forces, surrender immediatly to be taken away and most likely killed. 80 dead out of 120 isn't odds that I would want to gamble with.

You are too good for the UN. Join you country's military and serve proudly as I once did, but don't put your faith in a group like the UN.

Just ask the families of the Belgium soldiers who, after surrendering, were mutilated and tortured in Rwanda. Their light blue helmets couldn't save them.