Many Americans are Simply Dumber Than Bush

I think not
Polls Show Many Americans are Simply Dumber Than Bush

By Paul Craig Roberts

01/29/06 "ICH" -- -- Two recent polls, a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll and a New York Times/CBS News poll, indicate why Bush is getting away with impeachable offenses. Half of the US population is incapable of acquiring, processing and understanding information.

Much of the problem is the media itself, which serves as a disinformation agency for the Bush administration. Fox "News" and right-wing talk radio are the worst, but with propagandistic outlets setting the standard for truth and patriotism, all of the media is affected to some degree.

Despite the media's failure, about half the population has managed to discern that the US invasion of Iraq has not made them safer and that the Bush administration's assault on civil liberties is not a necessary component of the war on terror. The problem, thus, lies with the absence of due diligence on the part of the other half of the population.

Consider the New York Times/CBS poll. Sixty-four percent of the respondents have concerns about losing civil liberties as a result of anti-terrorism measures put in place by President Bush. Yet, 53
percent approve of spying without obtaining court warrants "in order to reduce the threat of terrorism."

Why does any American think that spying without a warrant has any more effect in reducing the threat of terrorism than spying with a warrant? The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which Bush is disobeying, requires the executive to obtain from a secret panel of federal judges a warrant for spying on Americans. The purpose of the law is to prevent a president from spying for partisan political reasons. The law permits the president to spy first (for 72 hours) and then come to the court for permission. As the court meets in secret, spying without a warrant is no more effective in reducing the threat of terrorism than spying with a warrant.

Instead of explaining this basic truth, the media has played along with the Bush administration and formulated the question as a trade-off between civil liberties and protection from terrorists. This formulation is false and nonsensical. Why does the media enable the Bush administration to escape accountability for illegal behavior by putting false and misleading choices before the people?

The LA Times/Bloomberg poll has equally striking anomalies. Only 43 percent said they approved of Bush's performance as president. But a majority believe Bush's policies have made the US more secure.

It is extraordinary that anyone would think Americans are safer as a result of Bush invading two Muslim countries and constantly threatening two more with military attack. The invasions and threats have caused a dramatic swing in Muslim sentiment away from the US.
Prior to Bush's invasion of Iraq, a large majority of Muslims had a favorable opinion of America. Now only about 5 percent do.

A number of US commanders in Iraq and many Middle East experts have told the American public that the three year-old war in Iraq is serving both to recruit and to train terrorists for al Qaeda, which has grown many times its former size. Moreover, the US military has concluded that al Qaeda has succeeded in having its members elected to the new Iraqi government.

We have seen similar developments both in Egypt and in Pakistan. In the recent Egyptian elections, the radical Muslim Brotherhood, despite being suppressed by the Egyptian government, won a large number of seats. In Pakistan elements friendly or neutral toward al Qaeda control about half of the government. In Iraq, Bush's invasion has replaced secular Sunnis with Islamist Shia allied with Iran.

And now with the triumph of Hamas in the Palestinian election, we see the total failure of Bush's Middle Eastern policy. Bush has succeeded in displacing secular moderates from Middle Eastern governments and replacing them with Islamic extremists. It boggles the mind that this disastrous result makes Americans feel safer!

What does it say for democracy that half of the American population is unable to draw a rational conclusion from unambiguous facts?

Americans share this disability with the Bush administration.
According to news reports, the Bush administration is stunned by the election victory of the radical Islamist Hamas Party, which swept the US-financed Fatah Party from office. Why is the Bush administration astonished?

The Bush administration is astonished because it stupidly believes that hundreds of millions of Muslims should be grateful that the US has interfered in their internal affairs for 60 years, setting up colonies and puppet rulers to suppress their aspirations and to achieve, instead, purposes of the US government.

Americans need desperately to understand that 95 percent of all Muslim terrorists in the world were created in the past three years by Bush's invasion of Iraq.

Americans need desperately to comprehend that if Bush attacks Iran and Syria, as he intends, terrorism will explode, and American civil liberties will disappear into a thirty year war that will bankrupt the United States.

The total lack of rationality and competence in the White House and the inability of half of the US population to acquire and understand information are far larger threats to Americans than terrorism.

America has become a rogue nation, flying blind, guided only by ignorance and hubris. A terrible catastrophe awaits.

www.informationclearinghouse....ticle11696.htm (external - login to view)

Blackleaf
That doesn't surprise me.

#juan
"Many Americans are Simply Dumber Than Bush"

Don't be so hard on yourself ITN......... :P

Haggis McBagpipe
Now reasonably speaking, how can that be true?

If you were to rate brains on a scale of zero to ten, with zero being 'empty', and you then give Bush the benefit of the doubt by rating him a low zero (as opposed to the only lower possibility: brain dead), it is clearly impossible to have less intelligence than Bush unless you're dead.

Now, assuming the research is, in fact, true, and since we know all those Americans aren't dead, we can only surmise that they are, in fact, zombies, in which case a made-for-tv movie should be made about it.

jimmoyer
What you all believe is no different in tone
and behavior than what others believe.

The behavior is mind numbingly repetitive, the
mantras of belief repeated daily until it has the
feel of total truth.

This behavior is no different than those you
disagree with.

zoofer
Rubbish.
A Noo York Times poll? Hilarious. Here is an example of the framers.

Quote:

When given a choice between more information about our intelligence-gathering methods and less safety, or less information about our intelligence-gathering and more safety, which do the public choose? The public tends to prefer more safety. The media prefer more information. And the media would prefer the public believe it agrees with them, even if it has to cook a few surveys to establish that canard.

A recent CBS News/New York Times poll brilliantly illlustrated how the public shifts sides on this question depending on how the question is framed. First question: "In order to reduce the threat of terrorism, would you be willing or not willing to allow government agencies to monitor the telephone calls and e-mails of ordinary Americans on a regular basis?"

"Ordinary Americans"?! The only Americans being tapped would be those suspected of helping wage war on America -- hardly "ordinary Americans." Who could support secret government surveillance of ordinary Americans? It's not surprising that this idea was rejected: 70 percent say they're not willing to allow that, and only 28 percent say yes.

Then the CBS/Times pollsters changed the wording to be much more precise in who is being monitored: "In order to reduce the threat of terrorism, would you be willing or not willing to allow government agencies to monitor the telephone calls and e-mails of Americans that the government is suspicious of?" When the targets are suspected terrorists or sympathizers, the poll numbers completely flipped: 68 percent support monitoring them, and only 29 percent say no.

This story is extremely politicized. Americans can't trust a liberal media, so partisan in this debate, to tell it to them straight.

Brent Bozell is President of Media Research Center, a Townhall.com partner organization, and author of Weapons of Mass Distortion.

Link to the facts (external - login to view)

I wonder who the 29% who oppose monitoring al Qaeda calls and emails really are? Why would they oppose it if they were not in fact Pinko Saddamites themselves?

zoofer
In Canada's paper today, the National Post stated that only a quarter of Emerson's constituents knew it was their MP.
Do we conclude that they are dumber than Paulie?

Quote:

Liberals more popular than Emerson in his riding

Poll done in October found only 25% knew he was their MP
Peter O'Neil, CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, February 08, 2006
OTTAWA - David Emerson, despite his high-profile national role as British Columbia's senior federal minister in Ottawa, wasn't known by most of his Vancouver Kingsway constituents before the 2006 campaign began, according to a poll obtained by The Vancouver Sun.

The Mustel Group survey conducted last October found only one-quarter of respondents could identify Mr. Emerson, widely criticized for abandoning the Liberals on Monday to join Stephen Harper's Tory Cabinet as a star recruit, as their member of Parliament.

"Perhaps as further evidence of the relatively low profile of David Emerson amongst voters in his riding, 90% could not name a single accomplishment since being elected to the riding,'' Mustel Group president Evi Mustel advised the Liberal party in her 22-page analysis of the October, 2005, survey results.

Jo Canadian
Quote:

I wonder who the 29% who oppose monitoring al Qaeda calls and emails really are? Why would they oppose it if they were not in fact Pinko Saddamites themselves?

It does seem easier to slap a label on people eh? It's much easier than trying to actually understand the reasons behind such opposition. Ignorance is bliss.

DasFX
Quote: Originally Posted by zoofer

In Canada's paper today, the National Post stated that only a quarter of Emerson's constituents knew it was their MP.
Do we conclude that they are dumber than Paulie?

Does being unaware of a fact necessarily mean on is dumb or stupid? I would just call those folks in Emerson's riding as unaware or apathetic.

Curiosity
The Times papers (LA and NY) are gradually eroding their credibility through silliness such as this polling....

The whole concept of Dumber than Bush is so flakey - I mean these are historically valuable and notable mediums in their news reportage, but in the last ten years they have both succumbed to some kind of ennui expecting to fool the hopefully "dumber than Bush" folk into believing them.

See the thing is for polls to come out being "smart" - they have to posit the actual questions asked and define the demographics of the polling group, ie: University students and teachers? It does make a difference and the pollsters know how to ask to get a desired result from a defined group who are a sure thing. And you all thought polls were fair? Talk about dumb!!

As for CBS veracity? Well thank you for Dan Rather and Walter Cronkite...and perhaps Katie Couric....all hacked from the same gnarly stump...

I don't know much about Bloomberg, but no doubt they'll take money for any poll....

Lotus eating having run amok.

I doubt that the intellect of the American people differs any from that of countries all over the world, given adjustments for ratio of population and questions asked.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Wednesday's Child

The Times papers (LA and NY) are gradually eroding their credibility through silliness such as this polling....

The whole concept of Dumber than Bush is so flakey - I mean these are historically valuable and notable mediums in their news reportage, but in the last ten years they have both succumbed to some kind of ennui expecting to fool the hopefully "dumber than Bush" folk into believing them.

See the thing is for polls to come out being "smart" - they have to posit the actual questions asked and define the demographics of the polling group, ie: University students and teachers? It does make a difference and the pollsters know how to ask to get a desired result from a defined group who are a sure thing. And you all thought polls were fair? Talk about dumb!!

As for CBS veracity? Well thank you for Dan Rather and Walter Cronkite...and perhaps Katie Couric....all hacked from the same gnarly stump...

I don't know much about Bloomberg, but no doubt they'll take money for any poll....

I doubt that the intellect of the American people differs any from that of countries all over the world, given adjustments for ratio of population and questions asked.

I think the American people are very intelligent, it,s not about intelligence though it,s about education and information.
see( Chomsky) Manufacturing Consent---- available at your local library, security clearance required.

Curiosity
Beaver

Let's use the word "bombarded with information".

The American people IF they absorbed all of the information given them in one hour in the public domain would go mad.

They have to turn off, be pleased by one or two items usually food and entertainment....and think about the other sad stuff if necessary....or if they "know someone" the news becomes focused on.

They could care less (the majority I mean) about cartoons in Denmark....they will however feel guilty if they become aware of the situation.... but even that will pass.

Intellect and/or intelligence have nothing to do with it.... for the average American it is the game of survival within the jungle of "spend your money here".

If the average American had a choice, they would invite all of us to enjoy a Ben and Jerry's sundae and have a few laughs.

tracy
Mmmm... Ben and Jerry's.... I also like the cold stone creamery, another amazing American place.....

Oh, what were we talking about? I think the title is insulting and wouldn't read much beyond that. If it makes me "stupid", that's fine with me.

darkbeaver

I think the American people are very intelligent, it,s not about intelligence though it,s about education and information.
see( Chomsky) Manufacturing Consent---- available at your local library, security clearance required.

Curiosity
Quote: Originally Posted by tracy

Mmmm... Ben and Jerry's.... I also like the cold stone creamery, another amazing American place.....

Oh, what were we talking about? I think the title is insulting and wouldn't read much beyond that. If it makes me "stupid", that's fine with me.

Tracy

That's my favorite place...but I didn't know if Canadians would think I am advocating getting stoned hahaha....

Ben and Jerry's is more well known...

Haggis McBagpipe
I think the article was probably written in jest anyway, sort of like those Salon articles. They look real but they're just satire.

Americans are good people, especially the American friends we have aboard the good ship CanCon!

darkbeaver

Beaver

Let's use the word "bombarded with information".

The American people IF they absorbed all of the information given them in one hour in the public domain would go mad.

They have to turn off, be pleased by one or two items usually food and entertainment....and think about the other sad stuff if necessary....or if they "know someone" the news becomes focused on.

They could care less (the majority I mean) about cartoons in Denmark....they will however feel guilty if they become aware of the situation.... but even that will pass.

Intellect and/or intelligence have nothing to do with it.... for the average American it is the game of survival within the jungle of "spend your money here".

If the average American had a choice, they would invite all of us to enjoy a Ben and Jerry's sundae and have a few laughs.

tracy

Quote: Originally Posted by tracy

Tracy

That's my favorite place...but I didn't know if Canadians would think I am advocating getting stoned hahaha....

Ben and Jerry's is more well known...

It is one of the many things I will miss when I move back to Canada. There is a Cold Stone about 8 blocks from my apartment. I pass it everyday when I walk my dog and it is just sooooooooooo tempting....

Oh, and I had an In & Out burger the other day that wasn't bad at all... I'm slowly exploring American restaurants

CanadaCowboy
All those polls you quoted and the sources are very very Democrat, and Bush is a Republican Duh?????????????

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver

We rely on your posts for education and information, I might get arrested checking out such a book.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

"Many Americans are Simply Dumber Than Bush"

Don't be so hard on yourself ITN......... :P

Heh

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

Now reasonably speaking, how can that be true?

If you were to rate brains on a scale of zero to ten, with zero being 'empty', and you then give Bush the benefit of the doubt by rating him a low zero (as opposed to the only lower possibility: brain dead), it is clearly impossible to have less intelligence than Bush unless you're dead.

Now, assuming the research is, in fact, true, and since we know all those Americans aren't dead, we can only surmise that they are, in fact, zombies, in which case a made-for-tv movie should be made about it.

Well Haggis, consdering Bush is a Yale and Harvard graduate, I guess that would make half of us...what?.....Columbia University graduates? Pace? NYU? Sounds like a compliment to me , I graduated from CUNY, Queens College.