What do you drive and why do you drive it?


Sassylassie
#1
It is said that what a person drives tells a lot about this person. What, I haven't a clue. I drive a Ford F150 extended cab truck, and I hate this truck with a vengence. I can't park--it I abandon it, my feet don't touch the pedals and I have to clean the wind shield on a ladder. Why do I drive it, because the other half has to have a truck for his golf clubs.
 
thulin
#2
My last, private, car was a Smart cabrio, really fun and nice to park down town.




My last car, a company lease, was a BMW 3-series coupé, boy I loved that car...

 
Jersay
#3
I have to walk to the military which is 10 min away unless I can get a lift.
 
Haggis McBagpipe
#4
For awhile we drove a Citroen 2CV . . .



. . . but now we drive a plain old Volvo. A brick.
 
Jay
#5
I like the Chrysler line up of cars and I have for awhile, so we drive a silver one of these....





But I really want one of these....


 
#juan
#6
I drive the Miata because it is the best handling car on the road. The car I drive the most, is a Toyota Corolla, which is also a remarkable car.
My Toyota iasn't as new as the one in the picture.








 
Haggis McBagpipe
#7
When I am feeling dutifully environmentally friendly, I would love to have a Smart car. Otherwise, I want one of those cool Crossfires. Yum. Who'd've thunk I'd ever like an American car again.

Oh wait, I told you what we drive but I forgot to say why. Volvo bricks are basically a Vancouver Island standard, I swear. Since moving here I am blown away over how many bricks there are on the road. But wait, that's not why we drive one. We drive one because we like bricks.

The Citroen 2CV we drove because we were totally insane. There could be no other possible explanation.
 
thulin
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

When I am feeling dutifully environmentally friendly, I would love to have a Smart car

Well, apart from low fuel consuption itīs a pretty nice car to drive in and around the big city. I actually drove mine 1 000 km to and from my dads summer house every year during the three years I had min - fine & dandy!


Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

Oh wait, I told you what we drive but I forgot to say why. Volvo bricks are basically a Vancouver Island standard, I swear. Since moving here I am blown away over how many bricks there are on the road. But wait, that's not why we drive one. We drive one because we like bricks.

Brick! In Sweden cars like this one:


...used to be call "containers". Because 60% of them were red at that time (along with the people) they came to be known as "sossekontainer". "Sosse" is a nickname socialist, you figure out the rest..!

But Volvo is better now a days huh? Just take a look at this new C30, I could have one of those!




Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

The Citroen 2CV we drove because we were totally insane

Isnīt it those moments, lacking reason and rational thought, that makes the best memories? She is a BEUTY! My danish neighbor had one you could crank start in the front..!
 
#juan
#9
I've thought about the "Smart Cars" and the gas mileage they get is very attractive, but a couple weeks ago I saw what a Ford F-350 pickup could do to a small car. Both occupants of the small car were killed when the moron in the big pickup simply ran over them. I think a Volvo might be my next choice as well.
 
I think not
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by thulin

My last, private, car was a Smart cabrio, really fun and nice to park down town.


If you ran into a bicycle with that car you're in big trouble.
 
Curiosity
#11
Update - here is my real car - I finally found a picture of it. It only had 40 miles on it and there is a great service warranty for me because I know zip about cars. If there are any problems between annual servicing - I just drive it in and they take care of it while I watch television in a coffee lounge.



My first "new" car - I have a Sports Coupe because it is easy on gas and I like a small but safe car. As I keep my cars for ten years I was hoping to buy one which would hold it's price well for a while anyway.

My only complaint is it has way too many gadgets to learn. I doubt if I'll use a quarter of the features....the A/C is so fine in the heat
tho.
 
manda
#12
I drive a 92 Saturn, and a 92 Olds cutlass Cierra. I would prefer to have one or no cars here, but with the transit system still in it's infancy, we really need to have two...June is when the routes should be expanded to include us in the transit
 
#juan
#13
Quote:

If you ran into a bicycle with that car you're in big trouble.

They might do better if the airbags were on the outside as well
 
Jay
#14
So, WC...wanna buy me dinner tonight?
 
manda
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

Quote:

If you ran into a bicycle with that car you're in big trouble.

They might do better if the airbags were on the outside as well

I thought that it was built from the same materials as airbags!

Thoses things would be crazy to own here with the drivers and the winters
 
I think not
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

Quote:

If you ran into a bicycle with that car you're in big trouble.

They might do better if the airbags were on the outside as well

#juan, I dunno if you have ever seen one up close, I saw them all over when I was in Europe last year. These cars would be a death trap in North America, I swear when I tell you, you feel as if you can pick it up and put it in your pocket.

Good idea on the airbags
 
Curiosity
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

So, WC...wanna buy me dinner tonight?

Bad boy... yup - Wendy's????
 
Jay
#18
As long as I can drive your car!
 
thulin
#19
Regarding Smart Cars and collision safety.

The car is actually pretty safe, believe it or not! The engine is in the back and if you get hit from the rear the engine will move in under the sandwich constructed floor - thus absorbing part of the energy (there are many bigger cars that donīt do that). In the end, if all the energy is not absorbed this way, you have a "safety cage" (see picture) resemble those in rally cars - and this metal profile wont brake. If you smash into a concrete wall it will be hard - but you will not be crushed.
If you collide with another, heavier, car the entire 800 kg Smart will move - and thus absorbing much of the collission energy.




In the front of the car (where there obviously is no engine) there are a "crash box" (see picture), simply made to absorb enery in a collision (as the motor does in the rear).

Actually, a guy in the swedish Smart Club (that I and two other blokes founded) frontal collided with a Volvo 440 at highway speed (both doing 70-90 kmh) and he got off with two broken legs. My guess would have been that booth drivers died actually... His Smart flew some 15 meters out in a field beside the road - a light but hard car moves instead of beeing crushed!
 
#juan
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

Quote:

If you ran into a bicycle with that car you're in big trouble.

They might do better if the airbags were on the outside as well

#juan, I dunno if you have ever seen one up close, I saw them all over when I was in Europe last year. These cars would be a death trap in North America, I swear when I tell you, you feel as if you can pick it up and put it in your pocket.

Good idea on the airbags

These little cars have been in Canada for a couple years now. I haven't driven them but I have sat in one. They are weird. They are probably a bit safer in Europe where cars are generally smaller but as you say, in North America, a violent encounter with any full sized car would likely be fatal, let alone a big pickup.
 
JoeyB
#21
I err... Don't drive.... instead I do stuff like this in the back yard when my Rennsport / Pirelli dragon race compound tyres go bald.

Oh I ride it to... mostly responsibly, except for the odd speed related indisgression.
Attached Images
burnout_shot4_181.jpg (32.9 KB, 367 views)
 
thulin
#22
Socks on, socks off

If you decide you like Smart, and always have been looking for a car that ainīt usefull, or practical, in any way and virtually impossible to drive duting the winter - you should try to get your hands on one of these:


The Smart Crossblade, only some 2 500 were made

I took one for a test drive a couple of years back and that was a really odd experience. Have you, during 20 minutes of testdriving a car, ever laughed your socks off, and I donīt mean for like 2-3 minutes, I mean - the entire testdrive..?!
Thought so. Neither had I, thus defining the experience really odd (and earns the crossblade a seat at my "cars wanted" table along with Porsche 911 Carerra 4S, Aston Martin Vanquish and BMW M5).
 
Cosmo
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Sassylassie

It is said that what a person drives tells a lot about this person. What, I haven't a clue. I drive a Ford F150 extended cab truck, and I hate this truck with a vengence. I can't park--it I abandon it, my feet don't touch the pedals and I have to clean the wind shield on a ladder. Why do I drive it, because the other half has to have a truck for his golf clubs.

Gawd, I hope what I drive doesn't say anything about me. I drive a monster Ford F150. It's a "practical" vehicle. I used to drive fun cars ... a 62 Austin Healy Sprite convertible, a 69 Old Cutlass Supreme convertible, an original Austin Mini.

The one vehicle that actually mattered was a 1992 Harley, straight out of the shipping crate. If it has four wheels, it's transportation. If it has two wheels and wakes the neighbours when you rev it, it's a personal statement for me.
 
#juan
#24
In a perfect world with perfect people, little "Smart Cars" would be the way to go. Unfortunately, it is not a perfect world and we are not perfect people. A lot of us drive big, powerful, full sized cars and even bigger, over sized, pickups that would smash a smart car flat along with anyone who had the misfortune to be in it. I don't drive a full sized car or a pickup, but nor am I going to endanger my family in one of those upholstered rollerskates.
 
Jay
#25
I would drive a Smart Car in the city I live in. I would be about as safe in it as I would be walking around....I wouldn't take it out on the 400 series highways though...

I'm just not willing to shell out 16K for one. They are highly over priced IMO.
 
thulin
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

In a perfect world with perfect people, little "Smart Cars" would be the way to go. Unfortunately, it is not a perfect world and we are not perfect people. A lot of us drive big, powerful, full sized cars and even bigger, over sized, pickups that would smash a smart car flat along with anyone who had the misfortune to be in it. I don't drive a full sized car or a pickup, but nor am I going to endanger my family in one of those upholstered rollerskates.

I canīt see why there canīt be monstertrucks in a perfect world..?

The Smart will not be crushed if colliding with a 3 000 kg Ford pick up.
 
thulin
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

I would drive a Smart Car in the city I live in. I would be about as safe in it as I would be walking around....I wouldn't take it out on the 400 series highways though...

In the city the car is WONDERFUL. I, 187 cm long, actually sat better in my Smart than I did in my 1999 VW Golf I had prior to the Smart. The bad thing with Smart on the highway is windsensitivity. Also, mine was limited to 135 kmh, but with the AC on full speed it wouldīnt go faster than 115-120 kmh . I felt that was enough though, only got a speeding ticket one with that car (67 kmh at a 50 kmh road in Stockholm).

Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

They are highly over priced IMO.

I wouldīnt say they are expensive, but they do cost alot (there is a difference). I gave 23 500 $ for my Smart cabrio with most equipment, got 14 300 $ for it after three years, 55 000 km. So worth it!

Here is a picture of me with my brand new 2002 Smart Cabrio!
Attached Images
smartjt1_133.jpg (205.2 KB, 375 views)
 
Haggis McBagpipe
#28
HI Thulin,

Quote: Originally Posted by thulin

...used to be call "containers". Because 60% of them were red at that time (along with the people) they came to be known as "sossekontainer". "Sosse" is a nickname socialist, you figure out the rest..!

I love the term sossekontainer, and the reason for it! We have admired and owned Volvos for a long time, if I could, I would own one of these increasingly rare P1800 ES (I even found a rare on to post, ha ha!):



Quote:

She is a BEUTY! My danish neighbor had one you could crank start in the front..!

Thanks! Ours had that crank as well, all 2CVs did. It really is a masterpiece of design when you think of it. Your battery dies, your starter dies, you're still going where you want to go with that crank. Excellent for getting out of sticky situations.

We did love our 2CV, the only thing that was wrong with it was us buying it too late in our lives. It is a car best suited to the young and insane rather than the old and insane, which we found out on a road trip with her.
 
Jay
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by thulin


Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

They are highly over priced IMO.

I wouldīnt say they are expensive, but they do cost alot (there is a difference). I gave 23 500 $ for my Smart cabrio with most equipment, got 14 300 $ for it after three years, 55 000 km. So worth it!

Here is a picture of me with my brand new 2002 Smart Cabrio!


I agree with what your saying, but for just a little more I could purchase a Honda Civic, and the resell on it would be similar...I don't but Civics though.....

The picture of your car is great, though it looks like some crazy guy is just about to drive away in it!!
 
Haggis McBagpipe
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

Quote:

If you ran into a bicycle with that car you're in big trouble.

They might do better if the airbags were on the outside as well

The Smart car might just surprise you in that regard:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...480&q=crash%20

 

Similar Threads

3
CD/DVD-RW combo drive
by hermanntrude | May 25th, 2008
15
I lost my D drive!
by Bubble | Jul 7th, 2007
90
What do you drive?
by Frappuccino Dibs | Jan 20th, 2007
5
CD/DVD RW drive
by Said1 | Feb 7th, 2006
no new posts