The Baby! Look at the baby!!

davtel

Dec 26, 2005
Leeds, England
Often when you see a baby, a girl would, most often than not, overreact with joy and happiness while exclaiming,
"oh my gawd! oh my gawd! Look!! S/he's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!! Awww..... The nose! The nose! Oh, the hands... so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuTE!!! They're so tiny and cute!!"

That would probably be the longest "cute" you've every heard from anyone!

On the other hand, guys don't react like the girls, do they? I highly doubt so. Can you imagine if both of them switch role, where the girl will remain seriously calm and affirming matter-of-factly with a few head nods saying, "hmm, yes, s/he is cute."?? Period.

I wonder if hormones are responsible for such two opposing dramatic reactions.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I dunno... I'm a girl, but I see babies all night at work so it takes a pretty cute baby to get that kind of reaction from me. I have seen a lot of funny looking babies in my time, but even they have a certain cuteness to them.

I work with two men who absolutely fawn over the babies, but they do seem to be the exception. Other than the fathers of course who are all convinced their baby is the cutest, smartest, best baby in history!

davtel

Dec 26, 2005
Leeds, England
If you have watched "The longest Yard", you would probably remember the tough football player, who thought was still taking his steroid pills, but in fact were estrogen pills, got all so emotional?

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: The Baby! Look at the

Dunno, Davtel ... I got the female hormones but babies never get that reaction from me. Puppies, yes. Babies, no. They all look like ET to me. The idea of a wrinkled up, not quite fully formed human being and "cute" in the same sentence just doesn't compute.

I've never heard my biological clock tick, not even once, and have never had any interest or desire to have a baby.

Don't think you can blame it on hormones. ;)

davtel

Dec 26, 2005
Leeds, England
Re: RE: The Baby! Look at the

Cosmo said:
I've never heard my biological clock tick, not even once, and have never had any interest or desire to have a baby.

Don't think you can blame it on hormones. ;)

Well, then I suppose to point a finger at hormones could be wrong. Then I guess it all comes down to a person's degree of desire to have her own baby [for the first time] that will drive that person off the caps.

I use gender neutral noun, person, because men have known to behave in such a way too. However, we all know only women can bear children. I hope technology will never suggest that men can have wombs.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I'm afraid of babies that are under say....9 months. They leak, throw up, and cry for no apparent reason - and I'm always afraid I won't hold them properly without their heads snapping off.

how I made past those first few months with my own daughter is a mystery. I guess something kicks in with your own kids, but I just don't have it with other infants.

I do love toddlers though. They're pretty cool.