Old Wive's Tales and Symbols

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Anybody believe in them or have any good stories?

I have one. I used to be the assistant controller for a large industrial roofing company, many moons ago. I was the only women in the office and I only mention that because you can imagine how funny it was to see four or five men gathered around the window, all excited because there was a morning dove sitting on the pick-nic table outside. I laughed, said "oh, cute" then went up to my office, all the while wondering what had gotten into them. That was Monday and the same dove (or a least I think it was) was at that same spot, every morning (which was also directly under my office window) was there, on the table every morning until Friday.

Interesting enough, but that same Friday just happened to be the same day I found out I was pregnant. Which again is interesting enough and also made me forget all about the dove, until a few years later.

As I said, the dove never crossed my mind again, until I stumbled upon a book about symbols and omens at a local book store and, for some reason I remeber the dove. I looked it up and guess what?? Birth or news of a birth (I forget the exact wording) is the news that a morning dove apparently brings! Neat or what? I'm sure other meanings can be found, but that's what that book said.

Anyway, that's not all. Again, a few years later, I was walking down down my street one day, when my neighbour (who knows I like stuff like that) pointed the same type of bird on the roof of another neighbour's house and said she'd seen there for the last three days. I told her the above story and said she (the womean who lives there), or someone close to her must be pregnant - we laughed and I forgot about it. About a week later, the same neigbour who pointed to the bird out to me, told me the girl who owned the house was in fact pregnant! Probably just a coincidence, but still, I like that kind of stuff.

Anyone else have a good one?

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Old Wive's Tales and

Very cool, Said. Will have to think about it ... I'm somewhat superstitious and will have to ponder my best experience. :)

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Well this is not really a wives tale or omen or anything like that...

I had the news channel on but wasn't really watching it, as I was busy doing something else, but I half heard a story about how the ivory billed woodpecker had been rediscovered, after having been thought to be extinct for about 60 years...it did really interest me, but I stopped what I was doing to watch the rest of the story anyway...

The very next day, I was out for a walk with my daughter and I heard a woodpecker rapping away at my big old elm, and I pointed it out to my daughter...and damn if it didn't look just like the one they showed on TV...I ran in to get my digicam, but it was gone by the time I got back...I've seen it a few times since, and each time I try to get a picture of it, it disappears...

I've looked at hundreds of mugshots of woodpeckers and I'm convinced that the one that was pecking my elm was an ivory billed woodpecker, even though the one that dispelled the myth of its extinction was found in Arkansas...

Wierd but true...

Oh and then there was the time the grim reaper came a-knockin', but I sent the bastard packin'...

..by the way, nice cleavage Said...

8)

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
I had a preminition. In 1991
I was grabbing the treats from the easter bunny out of my closet. I hadn't turned the lights on, as didn't want to alert the kids. I got a mental pic as I opened the closet door of somebody, who was hanging from a rope. Dead. I didn't see a face , just dark hair, a shirt and jeans. I got a chill down, my spine and thought to myself ..how morbid, what's my prob? I told my hubby, while I was hiding the treats about my warpped mind. He just shook his head and told me I'm a weirdo. The next morning we got the ususal HAPPY EASTER phone calls. Then my friend called, and told me our mutual friend had hung himself the night before. I almost threw up! I was shaking and needed to lie down, it shook me to my soul. He gave no signals, just finished school, moved in with his G.F., was out with friends the day of and leading up to the end, had made firm plans for the following day???? His bro left him for 1/2, while getting smokes?????
I'll never understand if I got a signal from him, or if it was just a freaky coinsidence ................... I still get chills.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Old Wive's Tales and Symbols

bhoour said:
I had a preminition. In 1991
I was grabbing the treats from the easter bunny out of my closet. I hadn't turned the lights on, as didn't want to alert the kids. I got a mental pic as I opened the closet door of somebody, who was hanging from a rope. Dead. I didn't see a face , just dark hair, a shirt and jeans. I got a chill down, my spine and thought to myself ..how morbid, what's my prob? I told my hubby, while I was hiding the treats about my warpped mind. He just shook his head and told me I'm a weirdo. The next morning we got the ususal HAPPY EASTER phone calls. Then my friend called, and told me our mutual friend had hung himself the night before. I almost threw up! I was shaking and needed to lie down, it shook me to my soul. He gave no signals, just finished school, moved in with his G.F., was out with friends the day of and leading up to the end, had made firm plans for the following day???? His bro left him for 1/2, while getting smokes?????
I'll never understand if I got a signal from him, or if it was just a freaky coinsidence ................... I still get chills.

I've had similar experiences (while sleeping that it) but nothing that tragic. How terrible!

As for the added bold, my husband =
when telling him stuff like that!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I saw a UFO once.....(well I've seen a few of them, but this one was in plain sight).

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Jay said:
I saw a UFO once.....(well I've seen a few of them, but this one was in plain sight).

We're you subjected to the infamous anal probing? *runs out of room, dodging flying objects*

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
When my nephew was 5, he suddenly ran up to his mother and demanded that she call grandma, because they needed to make sure she wasn't hurt. His mother couldn't make any sense out of him, so she called her mother, who lived 500 km away.

It turned out that about 20 min before that, Grandma was rearended at the mall. Only minor scratches to the car, and no damage to her person.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

I think not said:
Jay said:
:lol:

Not that I remember....

Which probably means you were as they usually induce (according to reports :lol: ) drugs that cause memory lapse :D

You probbaly work for them.... :p

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

So you carry the biggest of the ass probes... :p

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Jay said:

So you carry the biggest of the ass probes... :p

If you look out the window, you'll see him hovering above your house.

ITN, wave hello to Jay will ya!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
When I was but a lad, my bedroom window opened up and I could climb out onto the roof of the garage, and on nice sleepless nights I would climb out and look at the sky. One night I was very startled to see, in the air, above the corn field behind the house, a very large solid black triangular "ship" that moved very slowly and didn't make a sound. I suppose that is why it startled me, because something of that size would defiantly make a lot of noise. So when I looked over the peak of the roof, boom, there is this very large black triangle almost hovering above the corn field. I had the pleasure of watching this object move slowly behind the houses, above the cornfields, all the way down the road till I couldn't see it anymore. I must have watched this object for at least 20 min.

So I suppose I believe in the "UFO" experience....What sort of surprised me when I was around 19, I read an article about UFO experiences and this "ship" turns out to be quite the typical sighting...large, completely silent, triangular black objects. The article I read said people had reported walking (wherever), and look behind them only to see this silent thing coming towards them. I hadn't ever heard of those types of "ships" before, so it confirmed my sighting (to me). I did tell my mother about it the next day, but she maintained I saw a plane. If it was a plane, it would have fallen from the sky, and would have made enough noise to wake up the entire town.

I believe the “ship" was doing some sort of information gathering because of the way it slithered behind all the houses above the fields....maybe it was looking for cows to mutilate...who knows.

I’ve seen others, but nothing like that.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
This could be just one of those urban legends,but remember all those tales of teens out "parking' in the winter,and leaving the heater on while they fooled around,were asphexiated. A cautionary warning to remain chaste,perhaps? i remember my gran telling me that dragonflies would sew up my eyelids if I got too close to them :)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
missile said:
This could be just one of those urban legends,but remember all those tales of teens out "parking' in the winter,and leaving the heater on while they fooled around,were asphexiated. A cautionary warning to remain chaste,perhaps? i remember my gran telling me that dragonflies would sew up my eyelids if I got too close to them :)

That is SO funny!

MY uncles used to tell me that a house with a white crushed stone drive way, near my grand-parents belong to the tooth fairy. All the white stones were actually teeth. I didn't fall for it though! :oops:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Said1 said:
That is SO funny!

MY uncles used to tell me that a house with a white crushed stone drive way, near my grand-parents belong to the tooth fairy. All the white stones were actually teeth. I didn't fall for it though! :oops:

You should have collected some of those stones and put them under your pillow....