Canal Hotel Bombing

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now, in Iraq, and around the world there has been 'this war on terrorism'. Now, terrorism has been going on for decades, you could even say centuries if you look at the tactics used by belligerants over the wars.

Since Sept 11, 2001, there have been numerous terrorist attacks, like Beslam, London, Madrid, the resort in Kenya, attacks in Egypt, attacks in Iraq (by Al-Qaida, and other groups that don't distinguish between non-combatants and 'liberators/occupators).

However, on August 19th, 2003 an explosion rocked Baghdad, now known as the Canal Hotel bombing. This bombing was directed at the United Nations and killed the UN representative to Iraq, and also the United Nations High Commisioner for Human Rights, the same person, Sergio Vieira de Mello. The explosion was carried out by a suicide bomber, who smashed his way through the fence guarding the compound with a cement truck.

Dead:

Sérgio Vieira de Mello, 55 (Brazil): UN Secretary-general's special Iraqi envoy.
Saad Hermiz Abona, 45 (Iraq): working for UN contracting firm
Renam Al-Farra, 29 (Jordan): an employee of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Raid Shaker Mustafa Al-Mahdawi, 32 (Iraq): United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission (UNMOVIC)
Emaad Ahmed Salman Al-Jobary, 45 (Iraq): Electrician for UNMOVIC
Omar Kahtan Mohamed Al-Orfali, 34(Iraq): Driver
Leen Assad Al-Qadi, 32 (Iraq): UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Iraq (UNOHCI)
Ranillo Buenaventura, 47 (Philippines): UNOHCI
Gillian Clark, 47 (Canada): Christian Children's Fund
Arthur Helton, 54 (United States): director of peace and conflict studies at the US Council on Foreign Relations.
Richard Hooper, 40 (United States): UN Department of Political Affairs.
Reza Hosseini, 43 (Iran): employed by UN Office for the Humanitarian Coordinator in Iraq
Ihsan Taha Husein, 26 (Iraq): UN driver for office of project services
Jean-Selim Kanaan, 33 (Egypt): Member of Vieira de Mello's staff.
Chris Klein-Beekman, 32 (Canada): UN Children's Fund's program coordinator.
Manuel Martín-Oar, 56 (Spain): naval captain, assistant to the Spanish special ambassador to Iraq
Khidir Saleem Sahir, (Iraq): Civilian
Alya Souza, 54 (Iraq): worked for the World Bank
Martha Teas, 47 (United States): manager of UN humanitarian coordination office
Basim Mahmoud Utaiwi, 40 (Iraq): Security guard for UNOHCI
Fiona Watson, 35 (Britain): Member of Vieira de Mello's staff
Nadia Younes, 57 (Egypt): Chief of Staff for Vieira de Mello

Suspects:

Iraqi Baathists
Militant Sunni branch of Islam followers
Militant Shiite branch of Islam followers
Organized crime
Iraqis angered by Coalition occupiers
Iraqis with tribal loyalties
Foreign agents (such as al-Qaida)
Members of Ansar al-Islam group

Responses:

The suicide bombing of the United Nations in Baghdad drew overwhelming condemnation.

Kofi Annan, United Nations Secretary-General, commented that the bombing would not stop the organization's efforts to rebuild Iraq, and said: "Nothing can excuse this act of unprovoked and murderous violence against men and women who went to Iraq for one purpose only: to help the Iraqi people recover their independence and sovereignty, and to rebuild their country as fast as possible, under leaders of their own choosing."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Hotel_bombing#Suspects

However, a conspiracy theory that has not been ruled out is that it was the United States, or 'friendly elements to the United States that committed this crime'. Why, because a man connected to the Oil-for-food scandal, Benon Sevan, was doing a press conference in regards to the scandal. However, there was no US press there, only four journalists, three arabs, and a Japanese reporter, could the US reporters been warned about a strike at the UN. It was getting more involved in Iraq and wanted more involvement in Iraq and Iraqi affairs, so who knows.

I don't subscribe to this theory myself, but I do not know for sure, because no one has been arrested for the crime. And the Bush Administration has a well known disdain for the UN.

I will leave it up to you to decide.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I don't subscribe to the US conspiracy theory but you never know, even if it is hogwash, it raises some good questions.

Why hasn't anyone been arrested?

Why weren't any American journalists there?

Why was the UN targeted?

I am looking for the link but an Iraqi man said after the attack on the UN,

"Look what the Americans did to us (pointing at the wreckage of the UN building".

So Iraqis still 'cared' about the UN, even though the Oil-for-Food Scandal?

And if Iraqis did attack the UN, what would they gain from it? The UN was trying to gain more influence over the U.S.?

And more interesting, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, an 'issue' not liked by most countries in this world, China, Cuba, Sudan, Russia, Eqypt, Iraq (Hussein and after) Mynamar, and Bush and his cronies was killed? He had no connections to America, was not supportive of the American forces and was watching them closely?
Just some questions. :D

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/20/1061261161626.html
picture of the destruction

more pictures of the destruction
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/08/21/iraq/main569431.shtml

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I think not said:
Thanks for that link, I'll add to the rest of my database of conspiracy theories never to be based on facts.

Well, the Americans did get a lot of experience bringing down buildings on 9/11, don't you know! :wink:

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
About Sept 11, not to put it in a sidebar or minilize it, the night before, the very night before I watched a T.V. movie where they flew a plane into the North Tower, and then on the day of the attack, US officials said they had no clue how something like this could of happened.

So if hollywood could do it, couldn't terrorists do it just as easy?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay here's my problem, conspiracy theories are cleverly put together, they can never be backed up by sufficient evidence, they are phrased in such a way as to be unfalsifiable and they are improbably complex.

I can ask many more questions on that article and there will never be an answer to it, they remain conspiracy theories because they are much more exciting than the obvious truth.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:
About Sept 11, not to put it in a sidebar or minilize it, the night before, the very night before I watched a T.V. movie where they flew a plane into the North Tower, and then on the day of the attack, US officials said they had no clue how something like this could of happened.

So if hollywood could do it, couldn't terrorists do it just as easy?

US officials don't care about watching TV unless they are part of the story/news :wink:

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Your probably right, but it would calm me if at least someone was arrested or if they had direct evidence to someone committing this act. No one has ever claimed resposibility for this crime, so until someone does, the conspiracy theories will still remain.

And even though they are probably untruthful, they do ask a few good questions.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
MMMike said:
I think not said:
Thanks for that link, I'll add to the rest of my database of conspiracy theories never to be based on facts.

Well, the Americans did get a lot of experience bringing down buildings on 9/11, don't you know! :wink:

I don't even know where to start on 9/11. When you debunk one theory an idiot with a video camera and Macromedia Director comes up with a new theory and you're back to the drawing board :?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:
Your probably right, but it would calm me if at least someone was arrested or if they had direct evidence to someone committing this act. No one has ever claimed resposibility for this crime, so until someone does, the conspiracy theories will still remain.

And even though they are probably untruthful, they do ask a few good questions.

There are thousands of every day events that go without being solved, this doesn't mean the "evil empire" had a hand in it. I guarantee you, we are nowhere near being that efficient :lol:

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
However, with some good hard work, at least a few questions could be answered. Per se, why wasn't any American journalists at the meeting. That could be answered by CNN or another media outlet.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:
However, with some good hard work, at least a few questions could be answered. Per se, why wasn't any American journalists at the meeting. That could be answered by CNN or another media outlet.

I don't have the answer to that question and I would suspect you will never get one because the theory would collapse, only to be reborn again with the same question, phrased differently.

If you have a quest to honestly seek this truth, write a letter to CNN, email it to me, and I will personally walk it in at their NY headquarters and make them acknowledge receipt of it. Then there PR will be forced to answer, fair? I'm game :D