Is English law applicable in Canada? (career-wise)

davtel

Dec 26, 2005
Leeds, England
Any law graduates/lawyers in the house? I'm seeking a direction as to how would I be able to practice law in Canada when I'm going to graduate with a law degree in the UK.

Any comments/opinions are appreciated.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Is English law applic

Dave, English law hasnt been applicable in Canada since 1982, and before that it was quite loose, I'd actually like to find this out also, whether or not english degree's are recogniesd in Canada, I'm also due to work in toronto with my degree

davtel

Dec 26, 2005
Leeds, England
Thanks, it's good to know a little historical background on what changed.

I was just looking around for some answers just earlier and stumbled across some websites about courses on conversions of [foreign] law degree if the graduate wishes to practice law in Canada. If this is already true, then I must go through another year doing conversion before becoming a professional practising lawyer.

However, if there is an alternative to that, I might save a year's time to develop necessary skills professionally. This is, eventually, the answer I'm seeking to validate. Anyone?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
davtel said:
Any law graduates/lawyers in the house? I'm seeking a direction as to how would I be able to practice law in Canada when I'm going to graduate with a law degree in the UK.

Any comments/opinions are appreciated.

Many unwritten proponents of our constitution have not changed since the BNA act, there might be something there for you?