Getting to know 'you'.- Members' interests.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
After seeing our newest member post his/her interests.....thought it might be an idea for us to do the same.

totally voluntary /optional. :wink:

mine: Sports cars, Music ....Classics, contemporary, Computing, ongoing learning programs. Medicine, Psychology, Psychiatry, Pets , Criminology, Nature walks, Snow shoeing. Interior design, Reading. Ladies fashion.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
RE: Getting to know 'you'

Ok, I'll play! :)

Music is my biggest interest. I don't play anything, but I love listening to all kinds of music, from punk to jazz, metal to classical and everything else in between. Music is my passion.

Other interests include: reading (mostly non-fiction), astronomy, native studies, environmetalism, eastern philosophy, mmorpgs (games like world of warcraft, dark age of camelot), evolution and anthropology, mythology and world cultures, poetry, drawing and painting, home-cooking, sewing, and I'm currently learning how to knit. I should have my first scarf done by sometime in mid-July. :|

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
well, some of mine are:
mathematics (systems theory, chaos theory), psychology (clinical, cognitive, social), philosophy, theoretical physics, running, cycling, rock climbing, kayaking, snowboarding, snow leopards, and of course caracals.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Oh my.

Wife and family (son, daughter, daughter-in-law, step grandson.....and new grandson as of August.)

History, the study of and the making of................all history, but especially modern history.

politics.

Reading.....anything. But mostly non-fiction. Biographies, history, personal accounts of war and/or adventure.

Music.....Good old hard-core R&R, with some other thrown in....Zepplin, Tull, CSN, the Beatles, Joni, Aerosmith....

Good friends.....people I've known for decades....especially my "third brother" since I was 13.....world traveler, adventurer, citizen of the world.....as well as ex-womanizer (he's 50), artist, antiques restorer, magical musician, collecter of fine guitars....and as loyal and true a friend as one could find. Man, did we used to get STONED together (admirers of Dr. Leary)

Chess, even though I rarely play any more.

Political forum that takes up way too much of my time................ :D

Edited to say:
Good Lord!

I left out firearms.....the collecting, use, and defense of........

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: Getting to know 'you'.- Members' interests.

the caracal kid said:
well, some of mine are:
mathematics (systems theory, chaos theory), psychology (clinical, cognitive, social), philosophy, theoretical physics, running, cycling, rock climbing, kayaking, snowboarding, snow leopards, and of course caracals.

I had never heard of caracals! They are incredibly beautiful! Found a great pic of them at Wikipedia ...

Caracal Pic

Very cool

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Colpy ... congrats on the upcoming grandpa status! If I could have skipped straight to grandkids, I would have done so but I hate to share my toys so never had any babies. :)

Ocean, great thread! I'm enjoying hearing about people.

Ok, here's my interests ...

I used to be a total adrenaline junkie. Skydiving, riding my Harley, raves, parties ... then I got sick and my life has done a total 180. Now I like to watch TV, quilt, crochet, bead, read (I read about 4 or 5 mental junk food novels a week ... Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, Spider Robinson, and any kind of verry scarry killer type books), I spend a ton of time with my Jack Russell, writing, computer games, and, of course, forums.

I love music. My partner is a musician and I especially love her stuff (she has one CD with her old band and one demo), I love techno/dance music, metal, some pop, classical (especially chamber music), and almost anything live. Except jazz and opera. *shudder* If someone wanted to torture me, they could get anything out of me by forcing me to listen to either one! :)

One of my biggest interests is people. I am fascinated by them. People watching in Victoria is great! I have this crazy curiousity about why people do and think what they do. As a result I have friends from every walk of life and thoroughly enjoy them.

I dislike obligations, particularly family ones, but that's cuz my family is like the Waltons on crack. Or most of them ... my sister is cool, tho. I hate lying and lose respect for people who bullshit, even online.

And of all the wonders life has to offer, three of the very best are dark, rich chocolate, napping and my chick. :)

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)
Great idea for a thread!

Let's see.... my interests include reading (practically anything, though I'm heavily into science fiction, mysteries, science, and history) and writing, primarily science fiction, general essays, poetry, song lyrics.... I haven't been published yet but give me time! ;) I also sketch, cartoon and occasionally paint, I sometimes sew, and I'm learning to play the Irish whistle. I love to cook and bake as well.

I dabble in hand drumming and percussion, and sing whenever I get the chance - I did a lot of choral and musical theatre stuff in my high school and college days, have some classical vocal training in the formal sense, and used to sing in a couple of rock bands and once in a reggae group (very briefly!). I'd like to get back into performing again, and probably find a vocal teacher to help me deal with some of the changes in my voice over the last 20 years - I've lost some of the high end, that's for sure. :? My musical interests for both performing and listening to include classical, classic rock, some alternative (think 10,000 Maniacs style, etc.), Celtic, Blues and Jazz.

I'm also extremely interested in language, and plan to return to university to pursue and advanced degree in Historical and Comparative Linguistics, with an eye to working for the preservation of languages that are in danger of extinction. For purely personal interest, I'm planning to learn Gaelic (Scottish and Irish), Russian, Spanish, Swedish, German and maybe Chinese. I'm working right now to brush up on my French, which I haven't used much in the past couple of decades despite having at one time been fluent.

On the wish list for 2006: piano and/or guitar lessons, swing dance lessons, improve my skiing (lots of room there!) and take up snowboarding.

Edit: Cosmo, Spider Robinson ROCKS! But I wouldn't call his stuff "mental junk food". ;) BTW, have you ever visited any of the virtual Callahan's Places on the web?

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
I play quite a bit of playstation. Watch news a ton, but mostly for the amazing live footage. I have looked up everything that interests me in an encyclopedia and will not turn down a trashy novel. I love my imaginary goat.

I smoke, a lot. I drink four tim horton coffees a day. I also drink bottled water. I like trail mix and licorice allsorts. I like to bake cookies.

I like to cause sh*t whenever possible. I have been called hilarious by a great many people. I have been called smart and pretty. I have been called "that bitch from accounting". I have also been called "the cheque nazi" (personal fav)

I have a 17 year old son who doesn't leave the house. He is pretty cool and we get along most of the time.

I like music, but only when I 'm alone. But other than that I don't really like noise, IE, vacuum cleaners, lawnmovers, leaf blowers and that squeely noise trucks make. I don't like crying, coughing or complaining. I hate when children say "I'm bored"

There, that is me.. I expanded the thread.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Cosmo said:
Colpy ... congrats on the upcoming grandpa status!

Thanks Much Cosmo!!!!

But it was LAST August.

PICTURES IN THE POST YOUR PIC SECTION!!!!

Yep, I'm a proud Grandpa, although completely computer illiterate. Had to get my daughter to post the pics after weeks of trying myself.....didn't take her 5 minutes.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
Hi it's me. Like Greta I like to cause sh*t too. I like to read pretty much anything and get somewhat paniced if I have nothing available. A crossword will do in a pinch, but they are usually too easy.
:book:
I was a Mom at 16 and I have 3 kids. 2 boys who are 19 & 16 yrs old and I also have a 3yr old daughter, she was the best surprise I ever got. Yes.... :roll: .... all from the same marriage. I know you were wondering.

I feel I'm relatively smart, mostly self taught.
I can be a real b#$*h , if provoked, so don't eff with me, ( for your sake). :cussing:
I love music and try and listen as much as possible.
I enjoy cooking, again self taught. The Joy of Cooking saved my life.
I like the outdoors, canoeing, camping, swimming ,walking etc.
The beach is my favorite location, and I hope to one day to be able to travel to as many as possible, where ever possible.
My favorite smells are campfires, bbq, musk, and jasmine.
Favorite colour orange.
I drink tea by the litre, and I am trying to quit smoking ( down to 2 a day) ARRRGh!!!! it's so hard and I'm so weak!!!
I think mean people suck!
I love how opinionated you all are!

Some people call me strange, but I prefer the term unique!

beks

Nominee Member
Nov 14, 2005
france
Ocean Breeze said:
After seeing our newest member post his/her interests.....thought it might be an idea for us to do the same.

totally voluntary /optional. :wink:

mine: Sports cars, Music ....Classics, contemporary, Computing, ongoing learning programs. Medicine, Psychology, Psychiatry, Pets , Criminology, Nature walks, Snow shoeing. Interior design, Reading. Ladies fashion.

interesting colletion, ummmmmm mine are:

reading, writing kids stories, listening to pop, heavey metal and rock music, watching movies, (especially disney and action stuff), astronomy, art&craft, computer games, and hanging out in forums, lol

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Interests? I have no time for interests! Feels like that sometimes.... :wink: I live out in the 'burbs of Toronto & both my wife and I work full time. We've got 2 beautiful kids - my daughter is 9, my son is 4. So our daily life is a blur of activity - get up, get dressed, get kids ready, make breakfasts, lunches, drop them off then off to work. I have a brutal commute - an hour each way to downtown. Get home and its the same rush - pickup kids, put dinner on table, help with homework, finally get to relax at around 7 or 8.

In what little spare time I have, I like to read a lot (mostly non-fiction: I want to know everything about everything before I die), chat on this board for a while, play with the kids. On weekends during the summer I love to hit a small beach nearby within a 10 minute bike ride. Go camping a few times a summer. Vacation in northern Quebec every year. Watch a little TV, play hockey twice a week.

And that's me!

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well I like Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Hiking and basically anything to do with the Outdoors. I like going for long drives. I also like computers and trying to create web pages, I am workingon my fourth incarnation of web sites. I will have pics up soon, will do more work after Boxing day.

I also enjoy cooking and of course eating. I love my Tim Hortons coffee, enjoying debating, going to the Harness Races (both betting and watching), Love watching Vancouver Giants, I enjoy a good rye and coke, Kokanee beer or Peach and Necterine cider.

Man this is starting to sound like my ad at lava life.

I enjoy the weird, paranormal and unexplainable, I enjoy viewing the planets and stars and eagerly look forward to the day we recieve a radio transmission from another planet.

I am not religious, I smoke about 15 cigs a day more if I am drinking and do enjoy the odd cannabis and yes I do inhale.

I am also very left leaning political wise, and dam proud of it. :)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
MMMike said:
Vacation in northern Quebec every year. Watch a little TV, play hockey twice a week.

You live in outer Toronto and you don't vacation in northern Ontario? You go to Quebec!!? tsk tsk tsk.... :p :)

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
no1important said:
I enjoy the weird, paranormal and unexplainable, I enjoy viewing the planets and stars and eagerly look forward to the day we recieve a radio transmission from another planet.

:toothy6:

no1important said:
I am not religious, I smoke about 15 cigs a day more if I am drinking and do enjoy the odd cannabis and yes I do inhale. :)

:hippy2:
me too, all the way down to my toes........!

i love you, sweet leaf......oooooh yeah.

Suzique39

Dec 27, 2005
Well I love to read, mostly non-fiction. I enjoy the computer, and politics. We have a huge kitty that we both love. We recently moved here and we are really enjoying being in a town (rather than a small community)even if the town is small. I spend a lot of time cooking, altho' I wouldn't say it is a hobby, it's just Timetrvlr loves to eat, and I love him. I might add that he is the brains of this outfit.So thats how that goes.

Beanie

Dec 22, 2005
RE: Getting to know 'you'

I like rap,r@b.,chess,rainy days,and for a guy this might sound unusual but I like to garden.There's a certain meditative quality to it.
Old,hip and metro-sexual.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
What an eclectic group !!
I "used" to be a hippie,lol...and so have some of that "old" stuff still rattling around.
And,I'm old enough to STILL be amazed by computers and the internet and all the possibilities for human connections found here. It certainly has enlarged my world, and shrunk the greater world.
Playing competitive badminton is a passion...and mentally developing figure skating choreography routines(along with watcing it endlessly on t.v.) remains an unfulfilled dream,lol.Soduko has become a great interest,but I guess staying in touch with family and ever diminishing friends is tops on my list.