The Grinch is stealing Christmas earlier every year

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Ok, yesterday's date was November 12/2005. I swear to you at 8 oclock last night I watched the Grinch that stole Christmas.

Why is this on so early? It's a great show, I love the Grinch and I truly enjoyed it (as I have 400 times before) but why the hell is it on right now. It was 16 degrees at the time also. It's still warm out, I still wear sandals, my winter coat is in hiding. Why the hell did someone put this on last night? People are screwed.

Bahu Borays my ass.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Ahhh ... Christmas is just around the corner. About 6 weeks away. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas is a true Christmas Classic. I watched it myself many times as a child. I do prefer watching other Christmas Classics as well such as my all-time favorite "A Christmas Carol". I really enjoy watching the original 1951 version where the late Alastair Sim plays Scrooge.

It wouldn’t be Christmas for kids without the likes of the Grinch ,Santa, Charlie Brown, The Little Drummer Boy, The Nutcracker and Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: The Grinch is stealin

I like the one where Santa is a misanthropic bastard who uses x-mas to drive his retail empire. In the end the elves rise up against him and put his head on pike right beside the North Pole.

Oh, wait...that's not published. At least not yet.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: The Grinch is stealin

Reverend Blair said:
I like the one where Santa is a misanthropic bastard who uses x-mas to drive his retail empire. In the end the elves rise up against him and put his head on pike right beside the North Pole.

:scratch: I can't quite remember properly there was a big difference between the 19th century St. Nick and the modern santa, wasn't the modern (red suit and white fluff) Santa created by coke in the early 20th century for advertising?? Now I wish I actually didn't sleep through art history class.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That's where our version of Santa comes from, Jo.

Fat guy on a sled, my ass. More like a sweat-shop owner forcing 12 year old girls to work 16 hour days.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:

That's not very Christmassy on your part, Rev.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
That's where our version of Santa comes from, Jo.

Fat guy on a sled, my ass. More like a sweat-shop owner forcing 12 year old girls to work 16 hour days.

like this analogy better . Much more realistic.

(only those that love fantasies (or live in a fantasy world).......maintain the fat dude on the sleigh .........blah, blah , blah.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Personally......I like the idea of buy nothing. ........and have been doing that for a coupla years. Don't buy into the Xmas thing anyhow.......from either the "religious" view OR commercial view.

IF I wanna buy someone something.......I do just that ......and when it is appropriate...... not because some 'holiday' says it must be done. ( gifts of obligation are not gifts)

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005

Commenting on the name only, it's a great idea, Jo. Unfortunately, anyone who buys nothing... or very little... at X-Mas is considered a Scrooge and generally derided by others... trust me on that one :roll: Lots of people SAY they are buying less...which may be true in $$ amounts but they also seem to be buying more cheap stuff that's sure to break within days or be obsolete by June. (speaking only from my social circle at least)

oh, and btw... awesome TLJ/MIB quote :)

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Considering that I have three kids, it's nigh impossible for me to implement too. The concept is interesting though, and it's there to counteract with exactly what you were talking about, "anyone who buys nothing... or very little... at X-Mas is considered a Scrooge and generally derided by others... " In this case, I've always wondered why someone is socially stigmatized by not following the mob? When our culture espouses freedom of choice.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
"anyone who buys nothing... or very little... at X-Mas is considered a Scrooge and generally derided by others...

like that matters. There is always some jerks that will brand people into categories (negative)......if they are outside the "usual" mob mentality. Big deal. Don't they have anything more constructive to do like..........shop until they drop??? :wink:

The Yule is a time for winter celebrations.(a break between fall and the renewal of spring)....and the Xmas thing is based on a religious extension. The Yule is a fun time for people......... while the xmas thing is one of obligation and conformity.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005

Jo, having lil'uns does make it impossible to follow but an alternative is to instill an appreciation as opposed to an expectation/entitlement to X-Mas gifts. That's a large part of my disdain for X-Mas aside from the blatant consumerism involved. Don't ask me exactly how to do this since I have no kids of my own, that I am aware of.

Ocean, Ya get used to being outside the mob mentality looking in but most people, or sheeple, are far too afraid to break step with their peers. I completely, 100% agree with the obligation aspect of your comment. That most are too weak to resist is not my concern or problem but with the rising opposition to excessive marketing of the "holydays" ( a misnomer if ever there was one ) it's only a matter of time before vindication is ours! bwahahaha