Worst Smells? (Worst Smells)

missile
As there is a Best Smells thread,it is my perverse pleasure to introduce this one And my choice for the nastiest smell is: Wet dog!

no1important
Burnt coffee and burning flesh.

bevvyd
morning after beer or egg farts.

bhoour
a burst septic tank............ gag!

Jo Canadian
Dog poo

That's been stepped in

manda
Stomach bile, carrots and ginger ale, after being regurgitated

GreenGreta
Really old lady, possibly russian, in a dress, no underwear, legs open, hot day.....

Reverend Blair
When I was a kid we were throwing rocks at a dead bull that had been cut open for some reason. It had been sitting in the sun for a couple of days. We managed to burst the bowel open. That was the worst thing I ever smelled and I will never throw rocks at a dead bull again.

GL Schmitt
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

. . . I will never throw rocks at a dead bull again.

What about a Papal bull . . . Pastor aeternus, for example?

As for smells: Ever try to clean the vitriol from a cat's hide after it had an altercation with a skunk?

Reverend Blair
Quote:

What about a Papal bull . . . Pastor aeternus, for example?

As for smells: Ever try to clean the vitriol from a cat's hide after it had an altercation with a skunk?

As long as the Papal bull was alive, why the hell not?

I have cleaned cats after they've been sprayed by skunks. Dogs too.

The worst skunk incident was when Kari got sprayed. It was the middle of the night, we were dead asleep. Kari jumped into bed and sat on my chest. She'd been outside and got sprayed by a skunk. Her little doggie brain told her that if she jumped into bed everything would be better. The smell was so strong that I thought a skunk had actually come into the house.

That's not a good way to wake up. Not good at all.

bhoour
Quote: Originally Posted by GreenGreta

Really old lady, possibly russian, in a dress, no underwear, legs open, hot day.....

that is really......um.......sick. hope you caught a waft from a distance and weren't to close............eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!

mrmom2
Sour crude oil ,Settling ponds at Weyco mill holy feck my nose dosen't work anymore

Nascar_James
limburger cheese in the ventilation system ...

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Sour crude oil

I opened up an old motor once and got some of that. I sure as hell wouldn't want to experience settling ponds full of it.

Ten Packs
Quote: Originally Posted by mrmom2

Sour crude oil ,Settling ponds at Weyco mill holy feck my nose dosen't work anymore

I hear that - worked at the Esso Plant up the hill, once in a while Trans-Mountains sample point would get a shot of crude, in our Batch of Finished Product..... WOW!

Also hear you about the Mill, although I commend them for the multi-millions they have spent to clean it up since we moved here in '87. But some days going to the Dump can be a real challenge....

Ten Packs
Quote: Originally Posted by bevvyd

morning after beer or egg farts.

Worse than that are "Turkey Farts", like you get hours after Christmas dinner.

Blackleaf
The most vile-smelling substances in the world, according to The Guinness Book of World Records, are ethyl mercaptan and butyl seleno mercaptan. Each smells like a combination of rotting cabbage, garlic, onions, burned toast, and sewer gas.

Blackleaf
And that stuff (ethyl mercaptan, the world's smelliest substance according to the Guinness World Records) is the stuff that makes you smell the gas you use at home. Gas is odourless, and they have to use ethyl mercaptan so you can smell it if there's a gas leak -

Ethanethiol (common name ethyl mercaptan) is a colorless liquid that has a strong odor, resembling that of rotten eggs. The odor is familiar to many people who use natural gas and propane for cooking and heating, as it is used as an additive to give those normally odorless fuels a distinctive smell. The smell acts as an alert that there is a gas leak. The chemical formula for ethyl mercaptan is C2H5SH. It was discovered by Maxwell Burrows.

According to the 2000 edition of the Guinness Book Of World Records, ethanethiol is the "smelliest substance" in existence.

Ethanethiol is toxic and in large doses will cause headaches, nausea, and a lack of coordination, as well as liver and kidney damage. The doses of ethanethiol from natural gas are not toxic.

Butyl seleno mercaptan is the stuff that skunks spray to produce that awful smell.

Other awful smelling compounds are -

Smelliest Compound
These man-made compounds are more complex and arguably stinkier than the simpler molecules. They also have catchy names.

"Who-Me?"

Five ingredients are used to make this sulfur-based chemical, which smells of rotting carcasses. "Who-Me?" was developed during World War II so that French resistance fighters could humiliate German soldiers by making them stink. In practice, it was very difficult to restrict the application of the chemical to the intended target.

---------

"US Government Standard Bathroom Malodor"

American chemists developed this combination of eight molecules, said to emit a stench resembling that of human feces, to test the effectiveness of air fresheners and deodorizers.

mrmom2
Nope NCG gases are the worst Blackleaf fecking stuff smells so bad we get it on our clothes or gear straight in the garbage they goes.I can't stand that fecking job

Eh_Degray
Stink Bomb Recepie:

1 Glass Mason Jar
1 egg
1 cup of milk (any milk will do)
1/2 cup Mayo
(Basically anything else that will fit and smell bad when rotting for a week)

Directions: Blend together in a bowl untill nice and mixed. then pour into air-tight (MUST BE AIR-TIGHT) glass mason jar. Put in warm area for about a week (if you have a strong stomache test by wofting). When ready, bring it to your designated target - smash and run!
Have fun kids!

TenPenny
Factories that make fish meal have to be the worst.

DurkaDurka
I get exposed to all sorts of nasty smells on the Toronto Transit daily. Usually it's a mix of BO, Curry, cabage and diesel fumes... nasty

Twila
old cigarette smoke..by far the foulest.

Zan
I just finished washing out a peanut butter jar for the recyling, and every single time I have to do that I wonder why peanut butter smells so damn horrid when it gets wet? Gak!

Twila
hmmm, wet peanut butter smell. that's weird.

wet, moldy fish food is also rather gross. Especially when you take a shnozz full to see if it's ok. Glad I didn't give any to the fish...would have given them a stomach ache...poor fish

Zan
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

when you take a shnozz full to see if it's ok.

It's been my experience that if I need to take a schnozz full of anything to see if it's ok, it isn't. Milk cartons come to mind.... and anything in a plastic container lurking in the back of the fridge at work... do not, repeat NOT smell these things to see if they need throwing out. You will undoubtedly be sorry. (and nauseous)

and ya, wet peanut butter really is gross. Go on, try it.

Eh_Degray
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

hmmm, wet peanut butter smell. that's weird.

wet, moldy fish food is also rather gross. Especially when you take a shnozz full to see if it's ok. Glad I didn't give any to the fish...would have given them a stomach ache...poor fish

Ha! Add fish to the recepie!

Twila
Quote:

and ya, wet peanut butter really is gross. Go on, try it.

Now I'm going to have to try it....

Zan
My hunny just informed me that his name better not have appeared anywhere in this thread!
bwaahahahaa

Vereya
Now I know a nasty smell that nothing can equal

I had a cat once, who like to chew wires, you know, the computer wires, and TV wires, and staff like that. And once he chewed the plastic off one wire, and then the creature peed on it. And the wire started burning. So can you imagine the wonderful combination of burning plastic, burning wire and burning cat's pee? I couldn't get the smell out for several days....