Weather

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Hey important and ocean...I hears you gots nuttin but rain rain rain...over there on the mainland...ehm...the sun is shining here in lotusland...me thinks I will wear cut offs over to yea old starbuck :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
raining here now.........looks like the monsoons may have started. Could sure use a latte..... :wink:

gosh, even the doggies are not interested in going out for their daily constitutional. ( which suits me just fine..;-)

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
peapod said:
Hey important and ocean...I hears you gots nuttin but rain rain rain...over there on the mainland...ehm...the sun is shining here in lotusland...me thinks I will wear cut offs over to yea old starbuck :lol: :lol: :lol:

is it nice and warm too?? That was what yesterday was like here.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
We got snow once pepper, tons of fun. Yes I must toddle and hey de hoe hoe all my fans. :p I am tellin ya its hard being me :lol: :lol: :lol:
See what happens when you brag :twisted: :twisted: the sky has gone all dark now...its gonna rain...hey :idea: I love da rain..I almost forgot 8)

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Weather

no1important said:
Hank C Cheyenne said:
you folks get snow out in Victoria?

very very rarely.

and when it does..........it is like a holiday. No one can get around.........so we all stay home and build snowmen.

but (sigh) it only lasts for such a short time. (so we take photos of the snowmen......for proof of the snow here.) :wink:

(it's a west coast "cultural " thing :wink:

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada

no1important said:
Well it has stopped for the moment but rain in forcast for next 4 days anyways. Well pick up up a starbucks too while you are there, thanks. :)

How about sharing that with us? We are 10 inches below normal and our house foundations are cracking. Blow it southeast!
Thanks.

Uncle

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It was sunny and cool here today. Perfect for getting work done outside. Unfortunately I had to stay in a dark room and type...not being a lottery winner and all.

You can keep foundation cracking due to dry weather to a minimum by watering your foundation, then placing straw bales around your house to minimise evaporation, Uncle.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada

Reverend Blair said:
It was sunny and cool here today. Perfect for getting work done outside. Unfortunately I had to stay in a dark room and type...not being a lottery winner and all.

You can keep foundation cracking due to dry weather to a minimum by watering your foundation, then placing straw bales around your house to minimise evaporation, Uncle.

Well, we do water around the foundation, but using straw bales is out of the question. We have shrubs all the way around our house. It still doesn't prevent the ground from shifting downward or apart. There are cracks in our ground you could put your leg in.

Sure you be simpler if you could share some of your unwanted rain with us.

Uncle

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Pea, do you remember the winter of '96?

That was no 'little" snow!

We have sun here in Surrey! Yippee.. course the sun is followed by overcasting and drizzle, booho, but that's followed by sun! yeah! it's windy here so the wind blows away some clouds and blows in others...

BC weather guide: Don't like the weather? Wait 20 minutes, it'll change.

I hear Tofino got mothball size hail yesterday. I remember sometimes in Saanichton it would hale so bad it looked like it snowed.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Well, we do water around the foundation, but using straw bales is out of the question. We have shrubs all the way around our house. It still doesn't prevent the ground from shifting downward or apart. There are cracks in our ground you could put your leg in.

Keeping the ground moisture as constant as possible will reduce ground shifting. Shrubs ("Bring me shrubbery!") don't really do much to reduce evaporation...their roots suck up the moisture and excrete it as oxygen. If whole bales are impractical due to plantings, then breack the bales up or use a mulch. Grass clippings are free. Bark costs money, but looks pretty. The important thing is that you keep the ground covered.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well I just walked to the doctors and then the liquor store and it feels like a typhoon is blowing through. Windy windy windy and now rain. :)

Yeah I remember that winter of 96, I drovr down from Fort St. John to Kamloops for Christmas and was not bad then on Boxing Day I drove to my moms in Surrey and the snow and wind reminded of up north. White outs and all.8O That was the worst winter I remember in the lower mainland. It even went -10 to -15 which was unusual for down here.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
ditto over here in lotusland...its raining...lovely stuff....I hear the winds might pickup big time tonight! great stuff eh? especially along the seawall....ho ho and a bottle of rum...don't forget the crab trap 8)

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Reverend Blair said:

Keeping the ground moisture as constant as possible will reduce ground shifting. Shrubs ("Bring me shrubbery!") don't really do much to reduce evaporation...their roots suck up the moisture and excrete it as oxygen. If whole bales are impractical due to plantings, then breack the bales up or use a mulch. Grass clippings are free. Bark costs money, but looks pretty. The important thing is that you keep the ground covered.

The bushes provide important anchoring in the ground to avoid erosion - we live on a hill. Plus they are so tall, they provide shade against the blistering sun. Not to mention - they bloom and are pretty. Everyone has extensive landscaping in our neighborhood.

Other places are flooding with 20 inches of rain, and we are dry as a chip. Also we have an acre/so it's tough to cover and water that much.

Uncle