One Good Reason why you should quit smoking

roseman

Oct 21, 2005
quitting smoking is never easy, second quitting is depend on yourself, your the only one who can help yourself, this nosmoq is a one form of help which you can quit smoke for just a week..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
roseman

I have no doubt the smoking is bad for your health but unless you've smoked so much that you have destroyed your lung function or damaged your heart, the effect on sexual function is going to be quite subtle. In other words, you are talking up your hat.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: One Good Reason why y

6 months, no smoking for this chic-o-let! Yay me.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
(Advertisement)

I quit a twenty-five year cigarette habit in three months using the nicotine patch.

I had been trying for years, but weak will-power and an office place filled with smoke kept me tied to my habit.

Ten years ago, when the office became an official (enforced) no smoking area, I gave it another try.

I checked with my doctor and he suggested that in my condition the nicotine patch would probably work best for me, and made certain I understood the instructions, and the risks of not following the instructions.

I nearly had to employ the most desperate use of the patch (over the mouth) but I did make it.

I have been smoke-free for 10 years.

Rev,

The coughing doesn't stop for six months. By that time, one feels great and smells sweet. One can start chasing women, again. (In your case, Mrs. Rev.)

(Advertisement)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
NIce going GL

Your story sounds like me except I had quit many times, only to fail when I could somehow convince myself that smoking was really good for me and that it was wrong to put so much pressure on myself to quit something I enjoyed. As quitting smoker I was a fickle, bullshitting, bastard who would have sold his grandmother for a cigarette. I did eventually quit almost twenty years ago and you know, when I see someone lighting up that first one with a cup of coffee I still feel a little pang of envy.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: One Good Reason why y

when I see someone lighting up that first one with a cup of coffee I still feel a little pang of envy.

I get this as well. But I hate that my addiction controled my actions and I remember the stink of smoke in my car and on my clothes. And the control it had over me. That's what keeps me from " just one drag".

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: One Good Reason why y

Twila said:
6 months, no smoking for this chic-o-let! Yay me.

Good for you!!

ony THREE months of no smoking for YT. .....but doing very well ....( I think :wink:

Most impressive feeling is the FREEDOM from being so "attached" to "having a smoke". another realization is what a time waster it is. Have so much more time now. A lot more active now too.

So many changes with one change of habit. (or losing a "habit)

Went "cold turkey".........with several" gimmicks" in place to deal with the "cravings" and other habit strength behaviors that accompany the smoking habit . How about you??

Interested in What motivated people here to quit. ( main reason.......or reasons)

Mine: "Realized" one day when buying the things......that I was "BURNING" $10.00 (min.) per day. .... and had nothing to show for it. So it released all this MONEY to do something constructive with..........(like pay a credit card bill off sooner.;-)

............and the STINK it creates in the home, on ones clothes and one's person.

(now I can "smell" a smoker from a far........;-)

Quite curious that it had nothing to do with health.......even though my profession was in the health field. 8O

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
#juan said:
. . . Your story sounds like me except I had quit many times. . .
About twenty of those twenty-five years were spent trying to quit, and failing.

It was the combination of an enforced, smoke-free office environment and nicotine patches that I managed to quit, and then just barely.

I still know all the alibis and rationalizations off by heart.

As it was, I spent two years breaking myself of reaching into my cigarette pocket every time I was stressed, or bored.

One fine spring, afternoon six months after the last patch, while walking in the local park a fellow walked by exhaling a huge cloud of smoke, and I came within Ames’ ace of mugging him for his cigarette.

Nicotine is a tenacious addiction.

Now as I am getting older than dirt, I only hope that sex proves to be equally difficult to quit.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005

Ocean Breeze said:
Quite curious that it had nothing to do with health.......even though my profession was in the health field. 8O

It's always surprising how many health professionals smoke. I know a few who do - you'd think they'd know better (pressures of the job, I suppose). Having said that, everyone who smokes knows the risks, nowadays. They must consider the pros outweigh the cons.

Or maybe they're just violently addicted.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
GL: What was your MOTIVATION (reason) to quit???

Interested in the reasons people want to quit or do quit.

BTW: Yes it is tenacious......and that is the control it has over a person. ..........IF one allows it.

When I get an "urge" or wee craving........I have to stop, take a deep breath and ask myself.........Who/what is in control here??? Me or the habit??? Do I want to be a slave to this???

Some inner dialogue really helps to get past those moments. Interesting that is one persists with this type of inner dialogue ......the cravings weaken noticeably. .......to the point they have NO power over one. (in this case YT)..

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Nicotine is a tenacious addiction.

About 25 years after my grandfather quit, it still used to drive him up the wall if somebody lit a cigarette in the truck at harvest time. For some reason that just made him crave a cigarette.

The last time I was up to see him he wasn't sure who I was (he's got Alzheimers and is in a home now), but he suggested that we leave the old people inside and go out for a smoke because you can't smoke around old people.

That'd be my guess.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Hard-Luck Henry said:
Ocean Breeze said:

It's always surprising how many health professionals smoke. I know a few who do - you'd think they'd know better (pressures of the job, I suppose). Having said that, everyone who smokes knows the risks, nowadays. They must consider the pros outweigh the cons.

Smoking is a substance addiction like any other "drug" that is addictive. It matters little what profession one is.....what color , what age , what gender. And when one quits.....it is important to realize that what one is going through is a DETOXIFICATION process..... just like any other addictive substance. The body has to detoxify from the substance .......and ergo the cravings and other symptoms. There are many valuable tools to use during this detox process. The KEY factor is MOTIVATION . A built in "reward " system is a good idea too.

LIke any addiction..........it is a psychological addiction ....in addition to a physical addiction.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi Ocean Breeze

I am one of the youngest sibblings in a very large family. Smoking was a kind of "right of passage" when boys reached fifteen years old. My dad said, "If you are man enough to smoke, you are man enough to pay for your own". So I could smoke if I earned enough money to buy them. Finally, years later, I watched one of my older brothers cough to death with lung cancer. It was a long painful death. On that day I started to quit smoking.