Five Years Ago Today...


Ten Packs
#1
Also a Thursday (coincidentally) October 13th 2000, at 4:30 pm Pacific (7:30 Eastern) -
I drove out the gates of my Plant for the last time!





And before anyone asks; "Do you miss it?"

YES - about the way I miss a toothache, after I have left the Dentists'.
 
no1important
#2
I am glad you are enjoying retirement. you deserve it.
 
Ocean Breeze
#3
Happy retirement !! Ten !!!

............and happy anniversary of same..
 
no1important
#4
Do you still go camping this time of year Ten Packs?
 
Ten Packs
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

Do you still go camping this time of year Ten Packs?

Nope - just closed up the 5th wheel weekend before last. We COULD, I guess, but I don't like wearing a coat and shivering around a campfire at only 9 pm. We could stay in, turn on the furnace and watch DVD's.... but then why not be home? What's the diff?

My wife kept track on the calendar out there, of every night we stayed - 61 nights! That's TWO MONTHS! Works out to less than 23 bucks a night - not bad....
 
Reverend Blair
#6
You should get a job, Ten Packs. I mean, you're such a drag on society by being retired. Hey, Maybe Wal-Mart needs greeters.

Sorry, had an hallucination that I was a rich guy from Detroit.

Congrats, man. Hope you have as much fun for the rest of your retirement.
 
Ten Packs
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

You should get a job, Ten Packs. I mean, you're such a drag on society by being retired. Hey, Maybe Wal-Mart needs greeters.

Sorry, had an hallucination that I was a rich guy from Detroit.

I have often thought that the "rich guy" is only a former employee of some other "rich guy" - he knows his stuff about the Trade - I know a bit about it too, and have asked a few questions that he answered correctly.

But who is to say he is not some disgruntled guy, living alone in an apartment? You and I have had "Offers".... what does that mean? Did you ever get a physical confirmation, like a ticket?
Nah....

I've run across (and been aquaintences with) several folks with serious "F-You Money" - so has my Dad.... he used to regularly play golf with Tommy Ford, who (STILL) owns Kal Tire! I bet you have heard of them, right?
I cannot think of an exception; they have ALL been the most UNpretentious folks I have run across.... and why not? What do they have to prove to ME?



NAH-h-h-h..... someone like our "dear friend" still has a chip on his shoulder - something to prove, even at his advancing years - to WHOM, I have no idea. Nor, I suspect, does HE.
It does not fit the bill of a "rich guy".....
 
Reverend Blair
#8
 
Ten Packs
#9
Sorry Rev - lost a HUGE post that I had created, because of being sloppy with c/p ..... had to do it all again! ARGGGH!

I HATE THAT SHYTE!!!
 
Reverend Blair
#10
Quote:

But who is to say he is not some disgruntled guy, living alone in an apartment? You and I have had "Offers".... what does that mean? Did you ever get a physical confirmation, like a ticket?
Nah....

Nope. The closest I got to confirmation was when he offered to fly out here and "show me" his gun. That's when he thought he could a permit from the "Canadian ATT". Remember that?

Quote:

I've run across (and been aquaintences with) several folks with serious "F-You Money" - so has my Dad.... he used to regularly play golf with Tommy Ford, who (STILL) owns Kal Tire! I bet you have heard of them, right?
I cannot think of an exception; they have ALL been the most UNpretentious folks I have run across.... and why not? What do they have to prove to ME?

I dunno. Most of the rich people I've run into have been unpretentious, but I've met a few who really like to lord their wealth over others.

I have no idea who Tommy Ford is, but if he owns Kal Tire then I've bought tires from him.

Quote:

NAH-h-h-h..... someone like our "dear friend" still has a chip on his shoulder - something to prove, even at his advancing years - to WHOM, I have no idea. Nor, I suspect, does HE.
It does not fit the bill of a "rich guy".

Whether he's rich or not, he definitely displays symptoms of a long-term personality disorder.
 
Ten Packs
#11
Quote:

Whether he's rich or not, he definitely displays symptoms of a long-term personality disorder.

Well, THAT I'm not so sure about - - - wouldn't he have to have one, first ? ? ?

 
Reverend Blair
#12
You've got a point there, Ten Packs.
 
Ten Packs
#13
Quote:

I have no idea who Tommy Ford is, but if he owns Kal Tire then I've bought tires from him.

As of the last I heard, Kal Tire is still privately owned, entirely by Tommy (although his family may be in on it, too). He may not be Jim Pattison - but with over 190 stores, 1600 employees and who knows what revenues (as a private company, it doesn't have to be made public).... I would say he could give Pattison a few interesting stories.
Yet Dad said playing golf with him was just like playing with the Grocer down the street.

(ps, I goofed his name the first time - there's TWO "o"'s in Foord.)
 

Similar Threads

7
63 years ago today
by Walter | Jun 7th, 2007
11
More problem children today than 50 years ago
by marygaspe | Feb 23rd, 2007
0
Dr. Dino gets 10 years+ 3 years probation
by Tonington | Jan 19th, 2007
no new posts