Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if you are not afraid of irrepressible wit and foresight

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Ahhhh...big comfy chairs! As for centerists Manda , I generally find the most comfortable spot on the chair is near the center and a little smidgen to the left. :wink: :lol:

Shiva

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Toronto
I voted no, but not for the obvious reasons (it's not that I'm not liberal).

I'm a little concerned about the segregation of issues based on whether they're perceived to be 'liberal' or 'conservative'. Looking at some of the topics that are in the conservative section (strangely, that filled up first), you can see that they're topics relevant to everyone, regardless of political stripes. Breaking down the Canadian discussion forum on partisan lines would suggest to me that people who are not of a liberal bent will not come here to discuss those issues, even though they're nonetheless relevant to them. Or if they do come here, they'll definitely feel a chip on their shoulder that they're not welcome, and somehow being discriminated against because a Canadian issue is now 'liberal', perhaps not representative of their views. In my humble opinion, it'll create more alienation, and perhaps decrease participation when what is wanted is more discussion from all Canadians.

Just my two cents...;)

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
I think they are being liberal with the word liberal.If you'll notice the post dates on the posts in the conservative topic list they are before the thread was created. While this is something that was thrown out there after the threads were created. This in itself indicates more of a philosophical difference in how the two factions perceive things. But I digress...

My first post was actually a reference to King of the Hill. It was very vague ( intentionally ). It had more to do with standing around relaxing, having a few beers and just having a neighbouly discussion. It was not my intention to have a full blown serious discussion about liberal political ideology. More of a place to kick your feet up and have a little fun.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
More of a place to kick your feet up and have a little fun.

like that idea. A place just to "shoot the breeze".... tell of days events (if so inclined)......and just be....

first things first: Does this lounge have a virtual "bar"??? :wink:

A bit of music would also be nice. Something mellow perhaps..

A fire in the fireplace.....

Comfy , cozy convesation areas with big stuffed chairs one can sink into...

Anyone having thoughts .ideas for the Yule holiday?? Any plans?? How many actually acknowledge/celebrate the season.?? Or maybe something a little sooner.......Halloween?? Party time ??? or not a big deal???

idle chatter........and mellow down time.. :wink:

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
A bar?...definately...Juice, liqour & coffee...with a fully stocked eer fridge and a few kegs on tap. :wink:

A cabin in the country with a fireplace and a firepit...cause who wants to be indoors all the time?

Music ? We could all sing 8O :oops: ...hmmm maybe the sound of the babbling brook or a few crickets outside...toss in the howl of an occaisonal coyote or wolf.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm a little concerned about the segregation of issues based on whether they're perceived to be 'liberal' or 'conservative'.

Me too. It reminds me of a Catholic school I attended in Ottawa. The boys had to go in one door and the girls in another. We then walked down the same hallways and sat in the same classrooms. I'm not sure if the nuns were afraid that us little grade 3's might start doing each other on the way back in from recess or what, but that was the rule.

I'm also concerned about the negative connotations have for many of us on the left because of the poor name choice of the Liberal Party of Canada. They might have been liberal when I was a child, but they've moved pretty damned far to the right over the decades.

If we had to have two sections why couldn't we go with "progressives" and "men in suits" or something.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
zenfisher said:
A bar?...definately...Juice, liqour & coffee...with a fully stocked eer fridge and a few kegs on tap. :wink:

A cabin in the country with a fireplace and a firepit...cause who wants to be indoors all the time?

Music ? We could all sing 8O :oops: ...hmmm maybe the sound of the babbling brook or a few crickets outside...toss in the howl of an occaisonal coyote or wolf.

like your thinking zenF.;-) the place has atmosphere already.... :wink:

.........and anything BUT politics for discussion. Opens a whole new world , don't it??? :) :wink:

Ok......fire burning in firepit........ and people slowly straggle in. Self serve bar is open.......and marshmallows available for toasting/roasting.....

Come one, come all........and enjoy a wee respit from the trials of the world. and life.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That should be "ear fridge" Twila. Zen sometimes requires a place to keep his dismembered parts cool until a surgeon can sew them back on. If you'd ever seen the man weild an axe, you'd understand exactly why. ;-)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Rev, I kind of wondered if it was a spelling mistake. An ear fridge makes much more sense than an eer fridge. Unless he really did collected eeries in which case somebody should inform him they shouldn't be kept in the fridge. They'll...turn.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
a beer fridge without the beer??

I believe that may be blasephmous and even sacrileges to suggest a beer fridge without beer. One must always be careful when talking about beer with beer lovers. shhhhhhh....walk very very carefully....do not disturb the beer......

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Lounge rats

Twila said:
a beer fridge without the beer??

I believe that may be blasephmous and even sacrileges to suggest a beer fridge without beer. One must always be careful when talking about beer with beer lovers. shhhhhhh....walk very very carefully....do not disturb the beer......
:) :wink: :thumbleft:

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Me & John Prine... we're afraid of B's :p

Lyrics for Song: Fish and Whistle
Lyrics for Album: Great Days: The John Prine Anthology

I been thinking lately about the people I meet
The carwash on the corner and the hole in the street
The way my ankles hurt with shoes on my feet
And I'm wondering if I'm gonna see tomorrow.

Father forgive us for what we must do
You forgive us we'll forgive you
We'll forgive each other till we both turn blue
Then we'll whistle and go fishing in heaven.

I was in the army but I never dug a trench
I used to bust my knuckles on a monkey wrench
Then I'd go to town and drink and give the girls a pinch
But I don't think they ever even noticed me.

Fish and whistle, whistle and fish
Eat everything that they put on your dish
And when we get through we'll make a big wish
That we never have to do this again again

On my very first job I said thank you and please
They made me scrub a parking lot down on my knees
Then I got fired for being scared of bees
And they only give me fifty cents an hour.