What are you doing to save $$ on gas?

Nascar_James
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze

save $$ on gas??

start using the public transit system more and use own car only when absolutely nec.

In some cities here in the US, particularly the southern states like Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky ...etc), public transit is virtually non-existant. You absolutely need a vehicle to get around.

unclepercy
Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

save $$ on gas??

start using the public transit system more and use own car only when absolutely nec.

In some cities here in the US, particularly the southern states like Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky ...etc), public transit is virtually non-existant. You absolutely need a vehicle to get around.

I think we must be neighbors! It's like that here too. No public transportation except downtown - and who goes downtown anymore? We use the truck for those deliveries you were talking about - just recently we picked up a freezer. It's sure handy.

Uncle

Nascar_James
Quote: Originally Posted by unclepercy

Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

save $$ on gas??

I think we must be neighbors! It's like that here too. No public transportation except downtown - and who goes downtown anymore? We use the truck for those deliveries you were talking about - just recently we picked up a freezer. It's sure handy.

Uncle

Yep. Nothing beats good old reliable way of doing things, Uncle.

Plus, even if public transit was readily available as it is in big cities such as New York and Chicago, a vehicle is still a necessity. It is required for any type emergencies (example ... to evacuate the city) or if the public transit workers were to go on strike for whatever reason.

Hank C Cheyenne
I think its like that in most cities. I really efficient if you live near downtown or where the transit systems goes, but otherwise you screwed. I live in south Calgary with no reasonable train access. Yes there are busses here but I wouldent want to spend 2 hours a day sitting on one. My truck is jsut a luxury I am willing to pay extra for!

I sometimes envy people who live downtown and can walk to work............... but then i rememeber i have a family so an apartment is out of the question. lol

..............nothing like the smell of deisel in teh mornin eh nascar.

PoisonPete2
Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

Answer - deisel eh! Then you've got it made cos it's not hard to convert to burning other oils (vegetable oil, hemp oil).

JomZ
Quote:

My truck is jsut a luxury I am willing to pay extra for!

You hit the nail right on the head there. Vehicles are now a luxury not a convenience ne more. With our society now built around the use of a car, to be without one is like perpetual torture.

I save by waiting for the gas prices to drop at around 9pm in the GTA. Their is a two hour gap where the prices are like 5-8 cents cheaper a litre.

I always figured its the gas companies' strategy. They get those who need gas during the day at a higher price, but at 9pm most people dont really need gas. So they drop the price a bit to most people who dont really need gas they percieve they are getting a good deal and pump like 40 bucks in the tank. And man the line ups are incredible, I try to get their just at the change but its not an exact timing.

So instead of having only 9-5 business its now a 8am-11pm business. Its brilliant financially. And boy does 102.9 a litre look like a good deal, what a sucker I am.

Nascar_James
Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

I think its like that in most cities. I really efficient if you live near downtown or where the transit systems goes, but otherwise you screwed. I live in south Calgary with no reasonable train access. Yes there are busses here but I wouldent want to spend 2 hours a day sitting on one. My truck is jsut a luxury I am willing to pay extra for!

I sometimes envy people who live downtown and can walk to work............... but then i rememeber i have a family so an apartment is out of the question. lol

Yep. Especially when stuck in heavy traffic, with the windows rolled down...

Nascar_James
Quote: Originally Posted by JomZ

Quote:

My truck is jsut a luxury I am willing to pay extra for!

You hit the nail right on the head there. Vehicles are now a luxury not a convenience ne more. With our society now built around the use of a car, to be without one is like perpetual torture.

I save by waiting for the gas prices to drop at around 9pm in the GTA. Their is a two hour gap where the prices are like 5-8 cents cheaper a litre.

I always figured its the gas companies' strategy. They get those who need gas during the day at a higher price, but at 9pm most people dont really need gas. So they drop the price a bit to most people who dont really need gas they percieve they are getting a good deal and pump like 40 bucks in the tank. And man the line ups are incredible, I try to get their just at the change but its not an exact timing.

So instead of having only 9-5 business its now a 8am-11pm business. Its brilliant financially. And boy does 102.9 a litre look like a good deal, what a sucker I am.

Diesel fuel here today was at $2.65/gallon! I remember just 3 years ago it was at only $0.99/gallon. Ahh, the good old days...

bevvyd
Well I had to give up my Grand Am the other year cause we bought acreage and brought our horse home to roost, don't tell him I said that. Well at the facilities where we were we could buy hay there and so we never needed a truck. But then we moved and let me tell ya hauling hay in a Grand Am sucks the big one. But my truck is new so I get good mileage and I'm keeping it tuned up, regularly checking the tire pressure, not running the A/C and a locking gas cap (It does so save on gas).

Oh and I've even got the kids car pooling.

Reverend Blair
Something that works well in a truck is to drop the tail gate or get one of those mesh ones, Bevvy. I reduces wind resistance a lot.

bevvyd
But then my tail lights aren't all that visible. Won't I get a ticket? But I do understand this aerodynamic stuff a little. How would a mesh one work?

Reverend Blair
The mesh ones are available at a lot of accessory stores, you can likely find them on line too.

There are two types:

The first is made out of nylon that's more or less a net. It's also more or less useless if you haul a lot of stuff.

The second is a hard gate made out of metal screening. It has a latch just like your present gate. They are available in either fifth wheel (dip in the centre for the gooseneck) or regular configurations. These are good for hauling everything but topsoil and other fine materials.

The idea of both is to let the air pass through.

I still find the best method is just to drop the tailgate. You can only do that when your truck is empty though, or you will get a ticket. If you have the back full of bales it doesn't matter if the gate is up though because the bales will block the air from the box.

Other options are caps and tonneau covers, which pass the air over the box. If you are hauling hay, they would be a serious pain in the *** though.

bevvyd
Well lucky for me there is a hay grower right across the street from me now and the horses love the hay. I have one that is a hay snob so I always have to look first before buying. He's a miserable SOB when he doesn't eat and he's hungry, and arguing/fighting with 1100 lbs isn't alot of fun.

I do like those vented ones, maybe I'll ask Santa for one for Christmas, he accessorised me the other year so I know he knows where the truck accessory store is. Not too big on the tonneau covers as I wouldn't be able to take it off by myself.

Jo Canadian