So it's Saturday Night

bevvyd
Whatchall doin?

Said1
Drinkin beer, still.

peapod
Heya island girl Well the day is over bevski...but I was on kuper island for the day...did ya ever go over to kuper island bevski??

bevvyd
Yup a couple of times. Beautiful island. So I'm sitting here drinking a lousy bottle of wine, what you up to?

Ocean Breeze
not much at this end. Been a busy day so time to decompress a tad......while the neighbors party

peapod
Ya it sure is bevski...but I gots to tell ya..I had the best piece of sockeye ever done with da cedar planks...but I tells ya the blueberry and peach salsa with it was so yummmmmmmmy!!!

bevvyd
I've been meaning to try those cedar planks. Do you have to use anything with them, like oil? And they would be for filets only right?

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Ya it sure is bevski...but I gots to tell ya..I had the best piece of sockeye ever done with da cedar planks...but I tells ya the blueberry and peach salsa with it was so yummmmmmmmy!!!

blueberry and peach salsa with salmone? Say it isn't so.

peapod
No bevski the boards are "untreated" you just soak for a few hours in water...are you sitting in your hot tub bevski??

Dexter Sinister
Those cedar planks are excellent, you just have to soak 'em in water for a while so they don't catch fire while you're cooking stuff on them. Best possible way to barbecue fish, especially salmon, which is best done painted with mayonnaise, drizzled with lemon juice, and wrapped in foil. Yummmmm....

As for what I'm doing this evening--or did, since it's over now--it was out for dinner and a movie ("Mr. and Mrs. Smith" with Brad Pitt and Angeline Joli, not great but worth a look) with friends, back to our place for drinks (12-year old single malt scotch) and conversation, and doing some drive-by posting at canadiancontent.net before going to bed, at which time I hope to jump on Mrs. Sinister...

peapod
Hey thats right dex about the cedar planks, how did you know that you lives on the priaire :P Said you gots to think bigger I am telling you that blueberry and peach salsa was otta this world..and the blueberries and peaches was grown right here on the rock

Said1

Said you gots to think bigger I am telling you that blueberry and peach salsa was otta this world..and the blueberries and peaches was grown right here on the rock

Sure, but with fish? Oh, and btw, I hate fish.

peapod
Have you had real fish?

bevvyd
OK I'm going to pick one up and give it a try.

I haven't had salmon in almost a week. Chowed down on a filet the other day at lunch. It was terribly good.

peapod
I know I don't have to ask you this bevski..but I am gonna anyway.. Its was not farmed was it

bevvyd
NEVER

Dexter Sinister

how did you know that you lives on the priaire

I get around, pea; I've spent many happy months on the wet coast at various times. I'm not just from the prairies, I'm thoroughly Canadian, I've travelled a lot in this country, and I know what's going on in your part of it. And I like to cook, so I make a point of finding out regional details of that and trying it out.

Quote: Originally Posted by Said1

I hate fish.

You poor deprived soul. If you truly hate fish, you've obviously never had good fish properly prepared. Fresh-caught salmon, lake trout and pickerel less than two hours out of the water, mingled with fine things like lemon, dill, basil, oregano, butter... It's almost enough to make me religious. Almost...

peapod
Said out here on the west coast we like the salsa..cept we make all different kinds..we mix and match everything...you name it..you can put it in salsa...its wacky I tell ya...my brother likes to soak smoked salmon in vodka and leave it for a few weeks and than strain it and use it to make his ceasars....you don't need to stir it either, you just use the pickled asparagus spear he gives ya.

bevvyd
Dex, we took relatives from Ontario out salmon fishing and had a BBQ westcoast style. They couldn't believe how different our salmon tastes from the canned stuff. I told them we don't even sell that stuff here.

peapod
My favorite fish is the disappearing halibut....but I tell you bevy I have had pickerel many times at grandma's house in ontario. Its a very tasty fish, a white and firm fleshed.....no not you bevski! the pickerel

bevvyd

My favorite fish is the disappearing halibut....but I tell you bevy I have had pickerel many times at grandma's house in ontario. Its a very tasty fish, a white and firm fleshed.....no not you bevski! the pickerel

Never had pickerel but I love halibut. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Dexter Sinister
Hate to have to tell you this folks, but Atlantic salmon is superior to Pacific salmon. It comes out of much colder water, has firmer flesh, and the taste and texture is to die for. And while I'm trying to let you down gently: Ontario and Nova Scotia apples are tastier than anything grown in British Columbia. But you have to go to Ontario to get 'em, they don't get shipped west.

And canned salmon, of course, is just the floor sweepings from the fish plant compared to fresh stuff, and barely qualifies as salmon at all. The taste is recognizably there, but it's a pale and lame imitation of the flavour of the real thing.

peapod
I hate to break this to you dex...well the best "apple" around is this one...

http://www.bctree.com/fruit/varieties/ambrosia.htm (external - login to view)

And you know by its name...well its the food of the gods...I have also heard it has the power to bestow immortality Top that

Dexter Sinister

the best "apple" around is this one...the food of the gods...

Mebbe the food of your gods, but my gods eat Annapolis apples.

manda
I took the boys to the stock car races...first time for the little guys...my 5 year old is as hooked as I was!

Ocean Breeze
as Sat night draws to an end.........into day seven of no smoking. Stopped on Monday. So far so good.

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze

as Sat night draws to an end.........into day seven of no smoking. Stopped on Monday. So far so good.

good luck..I'm not so brave as to stop....yet give me time...I have cut down

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by manda

good luck..I'm not so brave as to stop....yet give me time...I have cut down

it's quite interesting ....the whole process of nicotine detox ....(if you will)....... and is getting easier with each day. Can breath better too,

You will know when you are ready... and when the decision is made..... just go with it. Build in an incentive (continuous ) program...... and this helps. ( I count the money I did NOT spend (on smokes) and it is amazing how fast the total grows.

Ocean Breeze
rational.org/why.html (external - login to view)

found this to be a very useful article. (replace drugs / substance / with nicotine .......and the principle applies.

Not exactly a fun Sat evening was it???

Cosmo

Congrats congrats congrats! The damn cigs are the hardest thing to quit!! I've done it a dozen times, but always go back. Quit for 18 months, one time.

There are so many reasons to quit -- beyond the obvious health stuff. It's expensive, it stinks, it limits me since I can no longer enjoy a puff after a nice dinner out, my dog hates it, my doctor nags me, and the single biggest reason I would like to quit is that I abhor being a slave to it! I do not have the freedom to not smoke without quitting entirely. I am forced to smoke every hour or less if I do not wish to experience withdrawal. That pisses me off! I hate being a slave to anything, feeling like my free will has been stolen.

Good for you, Breeze. Keep us posted on your progress. Every time I hear someone succeed it strengthens my own desire to quit.