Spelling it out for parents of internet chatting children

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I was at lunch the other day and some of us got to talking about kids chatting on the internet and this seemingly foreign language that they talk in. So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread which just spells it all out for us parents to read and understand.

I'll start:

POS - parent over shoulder
ROTFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my a** off

sarahis4lsu

Aug 4, 2005
RE: Spelling it out for parents of internet chatting childre

IDGAF - i don't give a f***
PW- people watching

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Speaking of chatting, we had a babysitter in one evening. The next morning, our kids told us that she spent a lot of time on my computer (???? never asked permission, it's in a separate room). I discovered that she had installed MSN messenger, which I never use, and, unbelievably, set it up to auto log on. So for the next week, I really, really confused her friends.

Why would anyone feel they had the right to use someone else's computer like that?

sarahis4lsu

Aug 4, 2005

you should have changed her password also, that would have really confused her

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC

I got the family thing happening with XP so everyone has their own account and visitors don't get one.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: Spelling it out for parents of internet chatting childre

I'm a raging maniac when it comes to censorship, but if I had kids you can bet the parental control would be activated on my Norton. Too much risk for minds that haven't experienced enough of the real world. I get suckered now and then by online people -- how can a young person be expected to protect themselves?

Here's a list of all the little acronyms:

http://www.cknow.com/ckinfo/categories/Acronyms/

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Spelling it out for parents of internet chatting chi

TenPenny said:
Speaking of chatting, we had a babysitter in one evening. The next morning, our kids told us that she spent a lot of time on my computer (???? never asked permission, it's in a separate room). I discovered that she had installed MSN messenger, which I never use, and, unbelievably, set it up to auto log on. So for the next week, I really, really confused her friends.

Why would anyone feel they had the right to use someone else's computer like that?

That is strange...they don't call them PCs for fun.

I always leave my screen at a log in promt, with a 3-minute delay.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

My 7 year old knows where she is and isn't allowed to go online, and only when she has my permission. I never thought that a 14 year old, hired to babysit while we were out, would have the gall to turn on my computer, and install msn messenger, and use it.....it just never occured to me that someone would do that. But she wasn't bright enough to cover her tracks, anyway.

I didn't realize that people were that brazen. It's comparable to her taking the car out for a drive. I guess that's the next step: if you leave your car keys in the house, you shouldn't be surprised if the sitter takes the car out for a spin.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Re: Spelling it out for parents of internet chatting childre

I didn't realize that people were that brazen. It's comparable to her taking the car out for a drive. I guess that's the next step: if you leave your car keys in the house, you shouldn't be surprised if the sitter takes the car out for a spin.

Sometimes they lend your car to their boyfriends so the boyfriends can go buy beer. At least they used to when I was a lad. :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Spelling it out for parents of internet chatting chi

TenPenny said:
My 7 year old knows where she is and isn't allowed to go online, and only when she has my permission. I never thought that a 14 year old, hired to babysit while we were out, would have the gall to turn on my computer, and install msn messenger, and use it.....it just never occured to me that someone would do that. But she wasn't bright enough to cover her tracks, anyway.

:lol:

No shit.