I think not
Lets hear about your gardens. Please share

I think not
Well OK, I'll show off then (pats self on back) :P

My Tomatoes

My Sunflowers

My Squash

Ocean Breeze
Impressive ITN. truly. Love those sunflowers. gotta try something like that next year.

as I mentioned before, still very much a novice at this ....but finding it such a relaxation and time for fresh air and sunshine too.

Mine is more along the lines of flowering shrubs, Hydrangeas, Lilac bushes, a Dogwood tree, a new Magnolia bush, and a "burning bush" . Center has an arbor with two clematis crawlin g up both sides . Added lights to the arbor this year for added light effects..

Ocean Breeze
ITN......you mentioned living in Europe. Where abouts???

(interested ) ( yes, I know, not exactly a garden topic .....might we might work it in if we try..

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze

Impressive ITN. truly. Love those sunflowers. gotta try something like that next year.

as I mentioned before, still very much a novice at this ....but finding it such a relaxation and time for fresh air and sunshine too.

Mine is more along the lines of flowering shrubs, Hydrangeas, Lilac bushes, a Dogwood tree, a new Magnolia bush, and a "burning bush" . Center has an arbor with two clematis crawlin g up both sides . Added lights to the arbor this year for added light effects..

Hey I'm no expert either, I just like trying out new flowers and throw in an occasional fruit or vegetable when I can.

As for the sunflowers, they are very easy, just plant a few seeds, they pop up in a few weeks, just keep them from obstructing sunlight to smaller flowers (the smaller flowers get mad and jealous, yes you heard me right) and refuse to grow. Life is amazing!

And I love the "burning bush"

I think not

(interested ) ( yes, I know, not exactly a garden topic .....might we might work it in if we try..

Greece for several years and backpacking the rest of Europe when I was a strapping young lad (AKA another life).

Nothing can replace a personal experience. No books or TV can ever capture the essence.

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

Greece for several years and backpacking the rest of Europe when I was a strapping young lad (AKA another life).

Nothing can replace a personal experience. No books or TV can ever capture the essence.

absolutely understand that one. Only place (overseas) that I spent time in is England.....and immersed self fully into their life style, their culture and as you say.....nothing can describe it , and nor can one "learn" it from books or whatever. Greece has always fascinated me. Maybe soon.

Plan to try the sunflower next year. Think I would place them along the fence and let them have their own "territory"

I think not

absolutely understand that one. Only place (overseas) that I spent time in is England.....and immersed self fully into their life style, their culture and as you say.....nothing can describe it , and nor can one "learn" it from books or whatever. Greece has always fascinated me. Maybe soon.

I liked Britain very much myself. Although they drive on the "wrong" side of the road :P

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

I liked Britain very much myself. Although they drive on the "wrong" side of the road :P

aint that the truth?? Have friends in Scotland and he sends me videos of "family events" outings etc......and seeing those cars dash (wrong side of the road) on narrow roads that only accomodate one way.......is a tad frightening.....

(suspect Scotland will be the next place to visit. England took up a lot of time...... and it is amazing how MUCH there is in such a small geographical area. You and I are so used to vastness of land and country......where one state or province is larger than their country......

I think not

aint that the truth?? Have friends in Scotland and he sends me videos of "family events" outings etc......and seeing those cars dash (wrong side of the road) on narrow roads that only accomodate one way.......is a tad frightening.....

(suspect Scotland will be the next place to visit. England took up a lot of time...... and it is amazing how MUCH there is in such a small geographical area. You and I are so used to vastness of land and country......where one state or province is larger than their country......

I can honestly say that Scotland was amazing to me, maybe it was Kathy :P. All kidding aside, it has beautiful landscape.

I hear you on size. I think that's part of the reason Europeans interact with each other easier than us in North America. They are sort of forced to do so because of small areas, if you know what I mean. I remember being in a Parisian cafe and the couple sitting next to us may have just as well been sitting with us , that's how close they were. and it's common in Europe. If anyone sat so close to me in New York, I would think they would be upto something :P

Ocean Breeze
I have been "traversing" Scotland via the videos from my friends...and know what you mean about the landscape there. Not quite like being there and experiencing it......but seeing it via the lens of a friends camera as they go to various events, places etc.......it gives one a rather good feel for it. From what I have seen , I think that Scotland is prettier than England. They have no fences as such. .......yet each area is clearly delineated.(and very neat) Lots of sheep there too.

As he is married to a Swedish lass, I am getting a feel for Sweden too. A nice way to get exposure before going there.

they have some pretty gardens in Scotland too. All those castles !! England as well. Very manicured....

Gosh, I LOVE that Scots accent..

and of course the pipers. There is a piper meet in August (Edinburgh & Glasgow) where pipers from all over the world are attending a grand parade. Will be getting videos of this too. Interesting as some pipers from here are going to this event.

I think not
Yes, they do have a cool accent. Although admittedly there came times I couldn't understand them very much. :P

All in all Scotland was great, alot friendlier than the English, I found anyway, but I mostly stayed in London when I was in England, and people in big cities tend to "seem" a little less nice.

And bagpipes rock!

manda
I've been to England and Wales, a Loooong time ago to visit family, I'll get back sometime. ITN, we've got red sunflowers in our back yard too, and some lupins we planted to fill in the holes the dogs that lived there before us made. put in a yellow raspberry bush too. YUM!

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by manda

I've been to England and Wales, a Loooong time ago to visit family, I'll get back sometime. ITN, we've got red sunflowers in our back yard too, and some lupins we planted to fill in the holes the dogs that lived there before us made. put in a yellow raspberry bush too. YUM!

yellow raspberry bushes???? being the novice I am , have not heard of them. Are they available at garden centers for purchase??

thanks.

manda
yes they sure are, I believe it was found at Canadian tire of all places...go figure. The other half purchased them, I just try not to run them down with the lawnmower, well, kind of try tee hee,

mrmom2
I'm the King of growing cukes .I'll post a pic of the next monster I pick my neighbors are amazed .

I think not

Red sunflowers are cool Plants in general always amazed me since I was a kid. I've read about plant behavior, it's amazing!

Ocean Breeze

yes they sure are, I believe it was found at Canadian tire of all places...go figure. The other half purchased them, I just try not to run them down with the lawnmower, well, kind of try tee hee,

thanks manda.

Will check Canadian Tire tomorrow. (at least will find out when they are available etc. Those Red sunflowers are nice too. Will have to see about those as well. Would make a nice colorful addition to what I have in place now. The key factor I look for is "low maintainance." Anything fussy , I stay away from.

I think not
There are no plants with low maintenance. Talk to them, put some music on for them and you get rewarded

OK, so I'm a weirdo when it comes to plants. :P

Reverend Blair
My cactus is low maintenance. I don't talk to it, but I do sing the Cactus Song to him sometimes...I'd do that anyway anyway though. He just sits there on the window sill, photosynthesizing.

peapod
Seeds of change have a really good variety of sunflowers, best you can collect the seeds for next years blooms, but don't forget to leave a few up for the birds I really like the mexican sunflowers.

www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...ry_id=353&UID= (external - login to view)

yes! you will have to cut and paste

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

My cactus is low maintenance. I don't talk to it, but I do sing the Cactus Song to him sometimes...I'd do that anyway anyway though. He just sits there on the window sill, photosynthesizing.

The Cactus Song? Can ya hum a few bars??? It sounds like the sort of song that should be part of my repertoire, right along with "Cheeseburger in Paradise", "Bears" & "Jolly Green Giant" by the Royal Guardsmen and the Charmin song from the commercial!

I was going to buy a plant, but decided against it for two reasons. Moche has a penchant for eating them (had to put the boquet of flowers Pea gave us way up where she couldn't leap up and chomp at them) and because I already have a Jack Russell to look after and don't need to add more living things to my list of responsibilities.

I envy you gardeners ... looks like you actually ENJOY it. Can't quite get my head around that. Although I appreciate the results I have no patience for the process.

Reverend Blair
Will there be cigarettes in heaven?
How come cats don't like to swim?
Sittin' talkin' to my cactus,
Everybody needs a friend."

It's by David Wilcox. (external - login to view)

I think not
Try classical music, works wonders.