I finally got my office moved

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Last week I got this room patched and painted. I got most of the crap out of here, although I lost knick-knack battle and there are porcelain dust collectors on the built-in shelves instead of books.

Today I went all out. I tore down the computer and all the crap attached to it. I untangled the many cords. I moved the cable. I packed up the books in the hutch over my desk. I even wiped the dust off my Dale Earnhardt action figure. I tossed papers into the recycling bin and discovered that I still had six ribbons for my old IBM Selectric in the back of drawer. I wondered if there was a museum that might be interested, then fired them into the garbage.

I dismantled the huge metal desk that makes my existence possible. I took the drawers out and vacuumed them. I washed my ashtray. I found a coffee cup that could have proven evolution and the origins of life, but I was in a hurry, so I tossed it away.

I transferred the desk in here and reassembled it. I put the hutch up, restocked it with Hunter Thompson books, and spiked up the decapitated doll that has become my mascot. I retangled all the wires while frying Kolbassa and eggs for supper. I plugged it all in.

I installed the beer fridge, moved the stereo and CD's over, and found my stapler.

I laid out my ashtray, sunglasses, leather Saskatchewan Wheat Pool hat, tobacco can full of pens that don't write, 9/16 wrench, and my shiny white rock.

All I have to do now is move the filing cabinet.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I was getting worried reading that Rev 8O Then I got to the line installed the beer fridge and everything was okay :lol:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: I finally got my offi

If I would have kept that coffee cup, it would have undoubtedly evolved into a race of three-eyed alien sasquatches, Zen. I have no idea how it got to the back of the drawer and why it didn't spill, but you what my office is like.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I finally completed the fence I was building to keep the dog in the back yard...to congrats to us both!!

:cheers:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Cedar wood. It is quite the spectacle IMO. I love the colour...dark blends into light...It will turn grey over time though…

Those post holes aren't fun to dig...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Those post holes aren't fun to dig...

There's a trailer you can rent that has a post hole auger on it. It's a bit like a ride at the fair...the Zipper maybe...but it does a dandy job. There's also a one-man self-propelled one that works pretty well. The best trick is to get a tractor with a front-end loader on it and just force the posts in, but it sucks to be the guy holding the post when that bucket slams down. 8O

Did you back-fill the holes with 3/4 down limestone?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
The posts were dug in at 3 feet...and I used a "quick dry" cement...don't tell me I have to dig those back up... 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: I finally got my offi

You don't have to dig them back up, but you will find that the posts don't last as long as you'd like. Concrete holds moisture against the posts, promoting rot (yes cedar does rot). Concrete also abrades the posts more when it expands and contracts with the freeze/thaw cycle, which also promotes rot.

Limestone gravel hardens almost as hard as concrete (concrete mix is made mostly of limestone after all), but allows better drainage and tends to expand and contract without damaging the posts so much.

It's also a lot easier to remove damaged posts if you use gravel.

That's the carpentry/landscaping lesson for today kids. Tomorrow we'll cover how to open a beer on a wheelbarrow.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Good advice...a little late...but for next time.

"Tomorrow we'll cover how to open a beer on a wheelbarrow."

I hear people in Manitoba use their teeth sometimes....is this true? :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Oh ya, I forgot....

It is really something they do in Northern Ontario...