Have you ever met a famous person?

bulldog
Tell us who and where - and what did they say?

I was sitting opposite Jimmy Dean at the airport. He was reading a book with reading glasses, and when I looked at him in recognition, I smiled and he winked.

I also met Larry Hagman at the 1996 Olympics. He was on the tram with us at the Atlanta Airport. He had had his liver transplant, and was looking pretty healthy. He spoke to everyone who struck up a conversation with him, and I was behind him in line to check my luggage. Very likable and nice.

Bull Dog

zenfisher
I met Tom Brokaw ..sold him some film. I met Ichiro, showed him a tripod. I met Bill Clinton at his book signing. I met Jerry Doucette waiting to be interviewed backstage.

Haggis McBagpipe
I briefly met - and kissed! - Pierre Trudeau in '68... by 'meeting' I mean to say I was a Trudeau Action Girl and a part of the greeting committee sent to the Vancouver Airport when he arrived to town. We all had to wear our Liberal Action Girl uniforms (bright orange mini-jumper with white blouse and go-go boots). We stopped at McDonalds for lunch before arriving to the airport, and all the girls saved their McDonalds apple pies to give to Trudeau (I wonder what he did with all those pies), but only one in the group was a brazen enough hussy to actually grab a kiss. And damn, I am glad I did. 8-) 8-)

zenfisher
Cool story Haggis...

Ocean Breeze
Some "famous " people I have met:

Nana Mouscouri, Harry Belefonte, Roslyn Carter, Margaret Mead, Bill Cosby, John Denver, Frank Sinatra, Ann Murray, Gordon Lightfoot. Andre Rieu, Pavarotti., Bryan Adams. and a few others that escape at the moment.

*met and shook hands with.

Would have LOVED to meet P.Trudeau. ( green with envy)

GreenGreta
I have curtsied before the queen. Yes, I was chewing gum at the time.

Haggis McBagpipe
As a child, I also met the famous - or should I say infamous - W.A.C. 'Wacky' Bennett, Premier of BC (who officially referred to himself as 'Prime MInister' of BC). Only fellow BC mouldy oldies will recall that character, I suspect. Anyway, Trudeau trumped the hell out of that meeting.

Zenfisher, was Clinton as charismatic as I've heard?

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by GreenGreta

Bad manners! Sheesh! :P

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

As a child, I also met the famous - or should I say infamous - W.A.C. 'Wacky' Bennett, Premier of BC (who officially referred to himself as 'Prime MInister' of BC). Only fellow BC mouldy oldies will recall that character, I suspect. Anyway, Trudeau trumped the hell out of that meeting.

He was apparently to Monica Lewinsky

GreenGreta
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

From Belfast, what can I say....

I think not

Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

From Belfast, what can I say....

I probably would have handed her the gum myself :P

bulldog
As I thought about it more, I remembered that I also spent a day with Jermaine Dupre, sat in his Bentley, met Janet Jackson - his girlfriend at the time. What a day that was!

Also, I spent a day with John Andretti and met his father and brother. Another spectular day at the Brickyard.

Bull Dog

Slurpie
I lived with joe sakicks sister for like a day when i was younger. My mom's boyfriend is related to william shakespear and my grandfather was related to royalty

Extrafire
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

I've also met the infamous W. A. Cecil Bennett when he was premier. Very outgoing, personable, and friendly, even to a peon like myself at the time. He quite impressed me, even though I didn't much like him at the time and wouldn't vote for him. I also met Phyin' Phil Galiardi about the same time. Didn't like him at all. Short little guy with an attitude. Had delusions of grandeur

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Extrafire

I've also met the infamous W. A. Cecil Bennett when he was premier. Very outgoing, personable, and friendly, even to a peon like myself at the time.

Yes, actually, he was awfully nice... not nearly as kissable as Trudeau, though. 8-)

zenfisher
Yes Haggis Clinton is extremely charisamatic. It was all I could do to hold Edge back from falling all over him. He seemed quite overwhelmed by all the attention.

Ted
Shook hands with Fidel Castro after a lecture.

GreenGreta
Hey Zenfisher I was going to ask who Haggis Clinton was but instead I will ask who Edge is. You have mentioned Edge before. Just Curious

Dexter Sinister
I met Pierre Trudeau. I was surprised by what a small person he was, I towered over him. I found him to be very personable, very knowledgeable, intimidatingly intelligent, and tough as Hell. Handshake like a vise too.

And I met David Suzuki. I was totally underwhelmed. Not a nice man, and I'll just leave it at that, the libel laws being what they are...

I met hordes of academics in my youth who were famous and highly regarded within their fields of expertise but pretty much unknown otherwise, with a few exceptions, because my Dad was one of them and he kept bringing them home for dinner. Generally, however, my life has not had famous people in it, and I'm not famous either, and as Martha Stewart (haven't met her either, and don't want to) would no doubt say, that's a good thing.

But I used to smoke with Ralph Goodale out behind a downtown office tower here. We made fun of Stockwell Day a lot.

Vanni Fucci
My wife's best friend Jacquie's husband is Gary Robichaud, the former leader of the NDP in PEI...he resigned on the 23rd of this month due to his on-going battle with cancer...

p106_peppy
I'm at degree 2 in 7 degrees of kevin baccon.

I've met Stephen Haper, John Torry, and Bernard Lord.

I had communion from desmond tutu once.

I walked by nelson mandellas house once.

my parents know paul henderson and he held me as a baby.

Vanni Fucci
My mother went to school with Tommy Douglas' daughter Shirley...but I've never met her...

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by p106_peppy

Whoa, now there's a serious one. Wanna tell us a little more about that? I'm quite irreligious myself, but not without feelings. That's a story I'd like to hear.

zenfisher

Hey Zenfisher I was going to ask who Haggis Clinton was but instead I will ask who Edge is. You have mentioned Edge before. Just Curious

:P ...Thanks for keeping me on punctuation duty GG. Edge ...short for edgerunner... aka also known as my everloving wife. The apple of my eye, the sweetest most wonderful woman I have ever met and...The reason the Rev is the Rev. She occaisionally makes her way onto the board to play a couple of games. At the moment she is eagerly building a little business for us, allowing me to escape the shackles of my employer and cut our own little niche into the world.

Please, Peppy telll us more. There are very few religious leaders I hold in high esteem.Tutu is one of them.

GreenGreta

p106_peppy
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister

Quote: Originally Posted by p106_peppy

Whoa, now there's a serious one. Wanna tell us a little more about that? I'm quite irreligious myself, but not without feelings. That's a story I'd like to hear.

Well, I went to an anglican church in south africa (now I go to a wesleyan church becuase the canadaian anglican church is boring). and anyway, all the anglican churches had some sort of get together-rally thing in a stadium, and anyway, when it came time for communion, my familly got in the shortest line. Turns out most people were too modest to get it from him.

anyway, the important thing that happened taht day was that I had a bag full of toys, and I lost them all

Judland
One Saturday afternoon (this is when I lived in Sudbury) was when I got to rub elbows with two T.V. personalities.

I was at the gym, in the middle of my regular workout routine, when a guy with an Australian accent asked if he could use the machine I was using in between my sets. Of course, I said sure.

Then, his cousin came by and they chit chatted a bit with me. A few minutes later I finally recognized them as the WWF wrestlers, "The Bushwhackers."

I spent the next half hour working out with The Bushwackers. Really nice, down to earth guys. Nothing like their characters they are "in the ring."

We worked out and talked about how they enjoyed coming to Canada when they had the chance, familiarizing it to life back in Australia.

Luckily it was a quiet day in the gym. And, besides, with them not acting the way they did in the ring, I'm sure the few people that were there probably didn't even recognize them.

They were on tour and the previous night they had a show in Sudbury and wanted to get some exercising in before leaving later that day.

Twila
Got to party with Skid Row at Club Soda in Vancouver. Had Rod Stewart step on my foot at the same bar (he apologized)

My uncle was Harry Jerome. Not famous...but well known in the track and field sector....

Spoke with Drew Barrymore and Tom Green at the Molsen Indy here in Vancouver....

TenPenny
Almost ran into Stephen Harper...literally. I came down a staircase in a hotel in Niagara Falls, and missed plowing into him by about 6 inches...the RCMP were surprised....remember when he stood by the falls and talked about all the jobs flowing South, as he pointed North? It was about an hour before that.

I sat in Trudeau's chair in the House of Commons once....and the Speaker's chair....

Dexter Sinister
One of my sisters met Stockwell Day in the elevator of the building she lives in in Ottawa. He introduced himself and she said, "Really? I didn't recognize you without your wetsuit."

She's about as respectful of these guys as I am...