What Happens After Death?

I think not
I don't think people believe there is something after death because of fear of dying.

If they believe in life after death then they have nothing to fear. Consequently, if they don't believe in life after death, they also have nothing to fear.

It is those who are not convinced of either scenario that have fear, they fear the unknown.

Twila
How this for the ugliest pet rat ever.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila

Why's that Jay?

I think it is discomforting that people believe they are no more than worm food....it's hard to explain.

I think not
The tail resembles Jay's ponytail.

Jay
That looks like a well fed rat....

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

The tail resembles Jay's ponytail.

Your going to have to do better than that ol' man :P

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by mrmom2

Are you religious Jay?

Yes, I'm a Christian. Always have been.

mps
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Those same logic and sciences have done absolutely nothing to indicate the existence of an afterlife, mps.

Nor were they meant to. Knightman suggested that humans are arrogant to believe they are special, and I showed why they can have just cause for believing so.

If I can run faster than you, and subsequently beat you in a race, would I be arrogant to say that I am a faster runner?

Quote: Originally Posted by Knightman

Yes, we are very good at devising ways to kill each other and over concepts that humans invented, most mammals are much more civilized...........

Most of our concepts are neutral. We've created the atomic bomb, but we've also created radiation treatment. I also don't know of any mammals that can be as benevolant as humans. We are capable of great evils, but also of great feats of altruism. Some folks, however, seem to focus solely on the negative. For shame.

Also note that you're using the internet, which was initially a military project meant to dispatch vital information over large distances during the Cold War. From military beginnings rose the ability to share ideas between individuals in distant nations. Don't be so short-sighted to believe that or invented concepts aren't of great value to our species.

Quote: Originally Posted by Twila

Animals do use logic (they think and problem solve). Many animals self medicate. I'm not sure what you mean by Advance their species. Humans seem to have created more problems then those they've solved. IT may just be that animals already know the problems inherent in "advancement" and so don't.

I think animals use simple trial and error to solve their problems, whereas human use logic, which is more complex. And what I meant by "advance their species" is that humans have created technologies and notions that can stave off extinction. Of course, we've also created technologies and notions that can cause our extinction. But again, you have to take the good with the bad, as opposed to focusing only on the bad.

Interesting that you brought up the problems of advancement. Life, it seems, favours the simplistic, and the latest workings of evolution have tended towards that. For every species that becomes more complex, 5 become simplier. The cockroach, for one, has not advanced much in its history, and its survival is more than assured because of that.

Bubble
I beleive that you may have eternal life if you love god with ALL of your heart and soul and you accept his forgivness. one of the reasons i'm a christian is because of all the religions in the world christianity is the only one that says that god died for our sins so we can live eternally in heaven!

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by Bubble

one of the reasons i'm a christian is because of all the religions in the world christianity is the only one that says that god died for our sins so we can live eternally in heaven!

Ummm...I'd do a little more research if I were you...

Bubble
try and proove me wrong

Canucklehead
Quote:

I think animals use simple trial and error to solve their problems, whereas human use logic, which is more complex.

I would say humans and animals both use the logic and trial and error methods. The difference would be that our ability for communication is superior in it's detail, and we have the added advantage of opposable thumbs to build things to overcome whatever the problem to be solved happened to be. Animals OTOH simply learned from it and adapted with what skills they inherently possessed. (I doubt a squirrel, for example, initially knew it could use it's front paws to hold a nut while it munched away)

Quote:

try and proove me wrong

Okeedokee; Your god didn't die for your sins, his kid did.

Bubble
ever heard of the trinity god jesus and the holy spirit are different yet one but i meant to say Jesus btw.

Canucklehead

After being force fed religious drivel during my formative years it's sometimes hard to pass up a cheap shot, my bad. For what it's worth I find it hard to believe that any one religious sect got it right seeing as each one was tailored to the people it served.

Bubble
Quote: Originally Posted by Canucklehead

: For what it's worth I find it hard to believe that any one religious sect got it right seeing as each one was tailored to the people it served.

what do you mean?

Canucklehead
Christians (along with all religions, imo) used their religion to reflect their general moral and societal beliefs. Proof that a religion is tailored to it's followers is the new push to modernise the catholic faith. A greater role of women in the clergy, gay marriage in some cases, the notion a priest be allowed to take a wife...That type of thing.
I'm not saying it's bad to do so, just that with all these different beliefs, it's impossible to say one is correct while the others are wrong particularly when religion changes. Look at something like adultery, as it becomes more societally accepted, the church doesn't harp on about it and parishioners won't be calling for the eternal damnation of offenders regardless of the fact it's one of the ten top rules of christianity.

Bubble
adultery may be socialy acceptable but when has it ever left anyone guiltless?

Vanni Fucci

try and proove me wrong

members.aol.com/MercStG/SavioursPage1.html (external - login to view)

www.skepticfiles.org/atheist/god-myth.htm (external - login to view)

www.infidels.org/library/hist...16/chap1.shtml (external - login to view)

Jo Canadian
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci

try and proove me wrong

members.aol.com/MercStG/SavioursPage1.html (external - login to view)

www.skepticfiles.org/atheist/god-myth.htm (external - login to view)

www.infidels.org/library/hist...16/chap1.shtml (external - login to view)

Virgin births?? Saviour? Chosen one?
Has anyone thought of adding Annikin Skywalker to the list.

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

One of the great certainty for everyone is death. Yet how many of us consider-let alone prepare for this major trauma?
What happens when we die? Nothing? Complete bliss-"eternal life? Or a vague, substantial something?
Materialists and atheists would answer nothing. For them life is a purely biological process; when the body dies the personality dies with it, just as electricity stops being generated when a battery fails, To such people life cannot "go somewhere else".
These rationalists frequently point out that the age-old belief in the afterlife is merely a reflection of Man's terror of death, of personal oblivion. Throughout history he has either avoided the unthinkable or surrounded it with ritual and a childish optimism. The materialist believes this to be craven and intellectually dishonest, we ought to face the "facts" - after all, it is true to say that the one fact of life is death.
What of the concept of "eternal life"? Nearly all religionists have preached that we survive the bodily death-in one form or another. It is probably true to say that the more sophisticated the religion, the more certainty it envisages some form of "life everlasting' for some deathless element of the individual, whether in a kind of paradise or amid the torments of hell.

Quote has been trimmed
powerful topic......and powerful , thoughtful post.

One might go so far as to say that consciousness is an energy form. All things are some form of "energy"......many of which are not (still) defined. So this begs the question: what energy form does consciousness convert to??? So many assume that the consciousness we perceive in life is the same as the one (if there is one) after demise. Consciousness and awareness would factor in here. Reincarnation has an interesting side concept to it as one can conclude that the consciousness of one person is converted into a consciousness of another......therefore obliterating the consciousness -awareness- of the original person.-being.

Some speak in terms of "soul"......but is not "soul" a form of consciousness.?? Consciousness -is awareness -is thought. Thoughts are "energy" too.

reality is that to date , no one KNOWS what happens after the transition from this life. (assuming there is a transition in the consciousness (or some level we have not defined yet)

very thought provoking.

( we know what happens to the physical aspect (body) ....and that is a dynamic process of physical change. Matter into different matter (energy into different energy- one could say)

Extrafire
Quote:

the notion a priest be allowed to take a wife...

Catholic clergy were married until about 800 years ago when a pope got it into his head that they shouldn't be, for some reason. Hardly a modern idea.

I've come very close to death a couple times, and don't actually know why I survived. Didn't have an NDE and really don't want to until my time comes.

I did know someone who had an NDE, and she said she subsequently had no fear of death.