Hmmm...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
So I mowed and mowed today. Had to fix the walking tractor three times. The motor almost fell off the first time and after that it kept blowing pulleys. I took a flying belt to thigh once too. A few centimeters over and and a little higher and I'd be singing the castrati parts in the Johnny Cash CD I have on. 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
We aren't even planting taters this year. It's so wet that they'll rot in the ground.

I greased up the rototiller attachment for the tractor, but I haven't even thought about putting it on.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't have a chipper, although I'd like one.

Here's some advice from my friend's dad about potatoes. If you are going to plant a lawn, put in potatoes for at a year first. It will loosen up the soil.

He owned a landscaping company for most of his life.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It's kind of funny...I used to spend a lot of time on a tractor trying to keep grass from creeping into the summer fallow. Now I'm supposed to mow it and weed it and feed it? Not bloody likely.

I keep it cut on a more or less regular basis, but mostly I just stay away from it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
We kind of need some kind of ground cover in the back...it keeps the dogs from getting even muddier. I've been encouraging the creeping charlie though. I doesn't get so high, so it doesn't need to be mowed so often.

There are also no rocks in Winnipeg. In fact they expect you to pay for them at the garden stores here. When I was a kid we spent half our lives picking rocks...I refuse to pay for them.

So when I built the fire pit, Zen and I had to go driving around in the country drinking beer until we found some suitable rocks for fire-pit building.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
What is creeping Charlie rev? is that related to creeping Jenny?? Really!!! no rocks! cannot imagine that....nothing but rocks everywhere here....I know a real cool place that has tons of shale...really nice thin stuff...perfect for lots of things....

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
There are also no rocks in Winnipeg. In fact they expect you to pay for them at the garden stores here. When I was a kid we spent half our lives picking rocks...I refuse to pay for them.

:lol: you can always just let it go and go for the Au Natural motif. What kind of maintenance does a forest floor need anyways besides making sure it cannot catch on fire?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
What is creeping Charlie rev?
It's a low-growing, broadleaf weed. Quite hardy, which makes it perfect for yards with dogs. It's kind of pretty too.

Really!!! no rocks! cannot imagine that.

I know, it's bizarre. You have to get out of the Red River Valley before you find rocks here though. Once you get up into the Interlake, there's nothing but rocks. Something to do with glaciers and where the melted or something.

you can always just let it go and go for the Au Natural motif. What kind of maintenance does a forest floor need anyways besides making sure it cannot catch on fire?

Forest fires are maintenance though. I could just burn the grass I guess...that's good for it...but then my house would catch fire. 8O

Why don't you let the goats loose on your lawn?

I should get some goats. I have a friend who raises them. The city has all these rules though. When the people down the street got a couple of steers, we all had to sign a petition saying that it was okay.