Canadian pre/misconceptions about Americans/America

Twila
Because of this:

Quote:

We have had threads about misconceptions others (usually Americans)have about Canada, maybe we need a thread about the misconceptions we Canadians have about Americans and America....might be good for a laugh and some education

You can now consider the above mentioned thread official started...

What things about Americans/America do you believe to be true?

I believe that all Americans live in America or were born there.....(yeah, try and refute that!)

I think not
A good portion of Americans need to get on a diet. Fast!

Twila
You've not been to here then ITN? lol

Jo Canadian
Misconceptions eh? Well, I'm at a loss. I was thinking about some stereotypes about Americans but true as some may be, they've also been discounted by having met americans while in the states.

Some misconceptions may be...

Americans are loud and obnoxious.
This one has been debunked by having met many americans and the ratio would be about 1:20

Americans don't know Geography.
Ok, I have met a few that actually thought my Northwest territories license plate was the state next to theirs and had a long chat about that particular state. However most usually comment on the strange shape and ask about where it was.

Americans don't know History besides their own.
I found that our school system pays more attention to american history also. With my parents it was said to be even more prevalent. I never knew of Canadian history courses until I went to college.

Americans are enthnocentric.
Those that say that their system is the best in the world and we should all copy them because we are wrong...Well I've met a few of them, they go under the same stats of the loud and obnoxious quote (which is thankfully low). Anyone who disagrees with them is a goddamn hippie or communist.

peapod
They like brittney spears

Twila
and think Paris Hilton has talent....

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila

and think Paris Hilton has talent....

She does......the under the cover kind of talent

Twila
I was trying to figure out a way to nix the bed reference and couldn't...not having watched the tape and not having slept with her myself I had no idea whether she had any talent what's so ever. I see now that she does....have a talent....other then posing.

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

They like brittney spears

Well maybe this is why

www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/britneysubliminal.html (external - login to view)

...at least for the young boys. :P

GL Schmitt

. . . I see now that she does....have a talent....other then posing.

Hey! Don't knock posing,

Posing is an important life skill for a poseur.

Toro

I believe that all Americans live in America or were born there.....(yeah, try and refute that!)

If you're born to American parents living outside the US, you are an American citizen whether or not you live there. Same as Canada.

Azalie
Stereotypes I've come across:

Americans think that everyone else in the world wants to live in America.

Americans think that the USA is the best country on earth.

All Americans own guns.

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Azalie

All Americans own guns.

You mean none of this is true? :P

Laika
They all speak in a rural, southern twang.

Or should I say: Y'all taaawk real funnay!!!

I think not

Ocean Breeze
"All Americans are FAT"

(hey, we are discussing misconceptions, aint we. Nothing personal)

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze

"All Americans are FAT"

(hey, we are discussing misconceptions, aint we. Nothing personal)

Well that's not exactly a misconception though breezy...

www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/mor_obe_cap (external - login to view)

According to this, US has the 5th highest rate of obesity related deaths per capita, compared to Canada's ranking of 15th...

So from a Canadian perspective, they are fat...

...but we shouldn't say that, because it's just rude... :P

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

Well that's not exactly a misconception though breezy...

no offense intended. Aware of the obesity problem.....but the generalization is still a bit of a misconception. Particularly when many in N.America are fitness oriented now. And then there is the "Image" factor.....which is based on Hollywood "stars" etc.

(IMO)

canadian_cindy
Well if any of you have watched Bowling for Columbine.. it really changes your perspective on Americans and gun control. The stereotype about americans all owning guns... there is actually a city where its law..you must own a gun.
Americans think we live in Igloos and are burried under snow year round!!
Sad to think that there are those who REALLY believe that!

peapod
I dunno cindy..an igloo does not have much up keep

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by canadian_cindy

Well if any of you have watched Bowling for Columbine.. it really changes your perspective on Americans and gun control. The stereotype about americans all owning guns... there is actually a city where its law..you must own a gun.
Americans think we live in Igloos and are burried under snow year round!!
Sad to think that there are those who REALLY believe that!

Hi cindy. ( welcome aboard )

Bfor C was an insightful docu.......on the culture of the US. Reality is that the US values its guns. When I saw Ch. Heston on there and realized how ARROGANT he is......sure was an eye opener. Big difference between the man and the roles he has become noted for.

Personally< I could care less how much the US knows about CA. In fact the less they know the better. If they want to believe we live in Igloos, tents , do ritual war dances, don't have indoor plumbing and chew blubber , that is fine by me. "they can live with their "misconceptions/conceptions " as what we are is essentially our buisness. If they don't care enough to learn more....that is their problem.

Would bet anything,that they know even less about Iraq. .....and yet take much glee in being able to invade them. Go figure. Just a very different mindset in operation. "They " live in their own little world of self grandization. Let them.

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

So from a Canadian perspective, they are fat...

...but we shouldn't say that, because it's just rude

not too concerned about being "rude". Facts speak for themselves. But will employ the word "obese" if it is more politically correct.

peapod
kinda like being a little bit pregnant .

Ocean Breeze

canadian_cindy
I definitely agree with you on the whole C.Heston thing. I was totally discusted at his lack of respect for those who had just endured such tragedy.
I too feel that if Americans are too ignorant to educate themselves on those countries most affected by them..it is their problem but it is also sheer ignorance. Its almost like to the Americans they are all that matter... sad really.... there is so much better...so much more out there. But ignorance is bliss.

Andygal
I know one that's not true...

they all think we live in igloos.

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

Its almost like to the Americans they are all that matter..

Hi Cindy. Not "almost"......that is the way it actually is. It is all about them,theirs , and their world. In some ways, to many , theirs is the only world that exists.

and you are right. It is sad.

maybe if they knew more, were more informed about other nations, and the populations of same.....they might not be so gung ho to treat them like crap or invade them just because they want something from them. (and then lie about doing said nation a bid "US " style favor. ( sheesh)

In "their " minds .....the US Is the .....most powerful ..blah blah blah and the usual rhetoric that they regurgitate with nauseating repetition. ( so they continue to reinforce their own beliefs about themselves with little if any regard to anyone outside of themselves.

sadly too, these are not misconceptions , this is reality.

interesting that they feel that MONEY Is everything....and yes they dump buckets of money into nations that are needy......but there is always something in it for them too. True humanitarianism is not popular in the US. You don't see many of them leaving the comfort of their homes for a year /six months to go into these desperate nations and work with the people there , and assisting them in obtaining a better life.

( a friend of mine just got back from six months in an underdeveloped nation .....where she/they assisted in building better water supplies to a region. They came back so much more aware of the reality there. Every little bit helps as many of the impoverished simply survive from day to day. Americans don't expose themselves to the real life of these people......and just send MONEY....*usually with strings attached.

A friend who is a physician takes six months every two years to work in Africa. and assist them with medical programs....working with what they have and working to improve the situation. Educating them.....without being overbearing or arrogant...is part of his strategy.

totally different mindset.

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by Andygal

I know one that's not true...

they all think we live in igloos.

hey, don't tell them that. Let them think what they want. If they want to remain uninformed .......let them.

( Knowledge is power.....

Diamond Sun
Quote: Originally Posted by Azalie

All Americans own guns.

The first one is true for most American's I've met. My sister in law claims they were taught in School that everyone wants to be like them. Which leads right into the second one, doesn't it?

My personal experience, if you tell American's anything (that Edmonton has Polar Bears, that toboggans are canoes that go down mountains, or that we have a different day for Easter just like we have a different day then them for Thanksgiving) a large majority of them will believe you.

peapod
Hey Diamond check your pm's.