The Mowing is Done

Reverend Blair
I mowed the very back of my yard today. That means I got to use my 1956 Allis Chalmers walking tractor. I loaned it to bro-in-law first, so it came back in perfect working order, including all new knife sections on the sickle mower. The important thing about antique equipment is to get somebody else to fix it whenever possible.

First I had to get the tractor out of the yard. That requires wrestling it through the gate while all four dogs help. The blind dog escaped and ran head-first into the truck cap I have out back. She's used to running into things, being blind and all, so the neighbour and I laughed at her as she got back onto her feet and ran into the fence while trying to find the gate.

I fired up tractor and started with the easy part. I mowed my way through the part that never quite dries, and headed up the yard, cutting swath after swath. The grass fell like Conservatives at a town hall meeting.

Soon it time to cut between the trees though. This is tricky because the machine is a little hard to control and Mrs. Rev considers each small tree to be very important. Even though it was the first mowing of the year, I got it done without sacrificing a single sapling. I didn't even cut down the ones that the deer killed.

With the trees done, it was time to cut the concrete and rocks. A few years ago I found myself with a lot of concrete and rocks. I could have taken them to the dump, but I had this low area in my yard. I dumped the concrete and rocks in there, thinking I'd put some dirt over it later. Kind of a crude, impromptu dry well. I've never quite gotten around to the dirt part of that though, so now I have all these chunks of mower-destroying concrete hiding in the grass.

Fortunately I have an 1956 Allis Chalmers walking tractor with a sickle mower so the mowing is easy. Unfortunately I have to walk behind trying not to break an ankle by tripping over a chunk of concrete. Life is an adventure though, so what the hell.

With that section done and both of my ankles in more or less the same condition as when I started, all that I needed to do was mow around the big green truck. That requires a lot of forward and reverse and some quick work on the clutch. That should be easy, but apparently in 1956 it in vogue to have reverse move around a bit. Sometimes it's where it's supposed to be, sometimes it's where 3rd gear is supposed to be. When trying to mow between a truck and a fence that can get a little entertaining. Fortunately the clutch consists of a $3.00 v-belt on an open pulley, so abusing it is acceptable.

So the back is mowed and the neighbours are all looking jealous wishing they had an antique walking tractor. Now if I could just find a deep tillage cultivator for it....

peapod
Right now I have to mow just about every day, the grass grows every night, plus I have some bumble bees in a bird house, every time I mow, they get really pissed off. Finally on saturday I called babe. Babe is a well known bee keeper. I called up and she answered and I said Babe? the bee keeper??? She says, the one and only. Well babe gave me quite a lesson on bees. First off, mine are not honey bees, wrong wings, than babe asked me if it was a couple hundred or more. No, maybe a hundred babe, (not that I counted them, just a guessimate) Nope, says babe, not honey bees you need thousands for that. Well babe and I had a nice little chat, interesting lady babe and her bee knowledge. But I still have to deal with the bees

Twila
Rev, you ever thought of getting your blind dog a seeing eye midget?

Twila
God Pea. You don't say what kind of bee's they are after all. Have I ever mentioned I'm one of those curious people? Please come back and tell us what kind of bee's they are.

Or...we may worrry.

peapod
They are bumble bees twila but not the honey kind, they have destroyed my cedar birdhouse... but I can't kill them..please provide a plan twinks. I considered sneaking out at night and covering the hole with that trusty ulitimate weapon....Duct tape! and moving it...I heard they sleep at night, but you know I can ear a weird hummin come from their house at night, I don't reconize the tune tho

Twila
Are they the big beautiful plump bumblers?

Cause If it was me....I'd just leave them. They are far to cute to hurt or kill. Plus imagine all that free polination.....

peapod
Yes I know that twinks you should see my garden but I also have to mow the lawn...and they don't like the sound of the lawn mower and it gets the hive mojo all in a rattle and they start coming after the pea If I moved it late at night...would this cause the birdhouse of bees to fall?? someone told me it would, do you know twinks. If they were honey bees babe herself would have come and got them. Its a dilemma liltwinks.

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Rev, you ever thought of getting your blind dog a seeing eye midget?

I used to just tie her to the old dog, but the old dog is too old for that now.

Quote:

Right now I have to mow just about every day, the grass grows every night, plus I have some bumble bees in a bird house, every time I mow, they get really pissed off.

Bees can react very badly to the sound of a mower...something about the vibration of the engine, I think I heard an expert say once.

My grandfather used to raise honeybees. They were as friendly as an insect can get. When he stopped, wild bees took over the hives. They weren't friendly at all. They still made honey though, you just had to smoke the hell out of the hives before you could get at. Those were normal bees...I really don't want know what killer bees are like.
[/quote]

peapod
Killer bees??? now why did you have to go say something like that for

Twila
Killer bees are bees that have been taken over by Africanized bees. It just takes 1 africanized bee to turn a hive into killers.

1 bad bee......just like 1 bad apple. Even in the bee world.

I watched a special. This is what they said.

They also said that drunk bees were not permitted into the hive. They were turned away.

Twila
how about a non electric mower? Cheap, good for the environment, good for the legs, arms and pecs. Great for the bees.

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Killer bees??? now why did you have to go say something like that for

As far as I know, there are no killer bees in Canada, Peapod. Don't worry.

Quote:

Killer bees are bees that have been taken over by Africanized bees. It just takes 1 africanized bee to turn a hive into killers.

1 bad bee......just like 1 bad apple. Even in the bee world.

I watched a special. This is what they said.

I think I saw that show too, Twila. What freaked me out was the Africans who smoked the hive to get honey with no protective gear.

Quote:

They also said that drunk bees were not permitted into the hive. They were turned away.

I have no idea if this is true, but I heard that if a wasp gets drunk, his wasp buddies are far more likely to sting. Something to keep in mind when you leave that rye and coke out on the picnic table.