I Think my Dogs are Junkies

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I've been using this Deep Cold stuff on my knees and ankles for my arthritis. Like most arthritis things its only effect seems to be to keep Mrs. Rev from insisting that I go see the doctor so she can prescribe some pills that I can't take.

I don't know what's in this stuff but it smells like Vick's vapo-rub. It likely is Vick's vapo-rub in a fancy new container. Like most of this crap, you could likely write SNAKE OIL on the side and be just as accurate. It likely is snake oil, but without the opium and crushed coca leaves mixed in to make it work. What the hell though? It doesn't hurt.

I've noticed something odd this week though. I use this stuff twice a day...once in the morning and once at night. I slather it on. Then the dogs come. It used to be haphazard, but now they are lining up in order of dominance. The old one with mouth cancer goes first, then the one I stole from a junkie, then the psychotic one that was retrieved from the corner of Portage and Donald, then the diabetic blind dog.

The last one isn't the least dominant. She's the enforcer and protector of the oldest one, so her duties require her to be last. She's adamant about it too...step out of line and she makes hyena noises and snaps ineffectually at the air because she can't see who to bite.

They all show up, in their little pack order, and snort my knees. It's like some bizarre ritual. They all do that in the same order too.... left knee, right knee, right ankle.

i think they've become addicted to Deep Cold and made it into their doggie religion.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: I Think my Dogs are J

Maybe they are just paying their respects to the oldest dog in the pack?

We had a dog that loved the smell of pot and would sit next to whoever held the dooby.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Rev ... just be glad you don't use Oil of Olay face cream as well! Moche goes berserk for it ... leaping up (jack russells can really jump!) to lick the stuff off our faces. If we happen to put it on before bed, it's a major tussle to keep her from slobbering it all off our faces. No wrinkles on her tongue! :)

As for the arthritis ... did you know that drinking lots of water and taking calcium supplements do help? Doesn't sound logical, but it's true. If that fails, there's always rum. :)

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Hey Rev? Being co-"sufferers", you and I have chatted about this before, but I dont think since I discovered LAKOTA!

This crap really works! I use it on MY knees too - being an "herbal", it takes a while for you to notice any effect (a week minimum, probably longer), and it's sure not cheap. But by gum, it's the cock for Dolly!

Try it.....

oh, ps - and it's made in Dawson Creek, of all places! Go figure.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
...I discovered LAKOTA!

This crap really works! I use it on MY knees too - being an "herbal", it takes a while for you to notice any effect (a week minimum, probably longer), and it's sure not cheap. But by gum, it's the cock for Dolly!

That's quite interesting, my mother who suffers has given that a try considers it pretty much "snake oil" with some good marketing (**qeue in loon sounds**). But since everyones physiology is different it just may have effected her in a different manner.

I did get her to try weed a couple of times and she found it effective but it only lasted a couple hours and she wasn't interested in smoking pot 12 times a day.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I got no effect from Lakota at all. I used it for about a month. Pot does work, but I find I can't get anything done when I smoke it, so it's no really worthwhile.

What works best is moderate exercise. If I over do it though, like I did at the snake pits yesterday, things get worse instead of better.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Rev, try Glucosamine and Chondroitin. ( It is important to have both G-1500 mg & C-1200 mg per day) It takes a couple of weeks, but they seem to work. My knees rarely bother me too much ( like you say intense exercise will still set them off.)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Yup, tried it. Didn't work. Mrs Rev still buys me cherry flavoured glucosamine though, and I drink it down to make her happy.

The difference, I think, is likely in that I have rheumatoid arthritis. It doesn't respond to much. What it does respond to makes me bleed. You know me, Zen...given my predisposition for both bleeding and doing things that cause bleeding I think I'm likely better off just limping a bit.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Shhh...she had me on the pills and when I quit eating them I told her it was because I hated pills. Now she's got me on the cherry stuff. It's just as ineffective, but it tastes better.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Wel no wonder they didn't work...hmm hope she doesn't read this site ... She mght try suppositories when your sleeping.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Suppositories. When you don't know what's wrong with someone or how to treat it and all else has failed stick something up their butt.

Where did this logic come from? Doctors are perves. Plain and simple. :D

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Ten Packs, somebody's been lying to you if you believe that. Because....they can....they are the leading cause of reinfection for women. Don't you just love this little factoids?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Actually when I had an ear infection the doctor said it was some kind of yeast. Now I'm wondering what was in those ear drops.