The human journey

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
My theory is that modern humans wiped out all other humanoid beings. The fossil record clearly shows there were other hominid evolutionary paths, inlcuding the Neanderthals, who went extinct around the same time that modern humans arrived in Europe. We killed off our competition either directly or by simply out-competing them in their niche. To me, this is also a convenient explaination for some of our odd behaviours such as racism/xenophobia; warring cultures; and nearly universal ancient legends of tiny humanoids (elves etc.), giant humanoids, bigfoot/yeti, etc.

Leveller

Apr 28, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: The human journey

Laika said:
We killed off our competition either directly or by simply out-competing them in their niche. To me, this is also a convenient explaination for some of our odd behaviours such as racism/xenophobia; warring cultures; and nearly universal ancient legends of tiny humanoids (elves etc.), giant humanoids, bigfoot/yeti, etc.

There is also a theory that we intermarried or crossbred with them. There is fossil evidence of this. There is probably DNA research going on to verify or refute it. I don't know if that has anything to do with racism and xenophobia though. I'd be careful about making those kinds of claims.

There is lots of research that is well-founded about the family structure and the types of social organization of early societies. It is very interesting. It shows that they had wars, but it also shows that they had a kind of primitive democracy that was in many ways superior to what we have today. For example, within a social group or tribe, the whole people ruled. There was no inequality between men and women. There were leaders, but they had responsibilities without having any special rights that placed them above anyone else. Any big decision such as whether or not to go to war, whether or not to admit someone from outside into the social group, etc. could not be made unilaterally by some leader. It had to be discussed at a tribal meeting. All members of the tribe could attend, everyone had the equal right to speak, everyone had the right to vote on every decision. Wow!

Because it sheds such light on the present and future, the study of the past is fascinating and important.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
Just to clarify, I am not attempting to justify racism or xenophobia! It was just a random idea I had when trying to understand those concepts in an objective manner. I realize these are emotionally charged topics, but that doesn't stop me from wondering "What makes us do the things we do?"

I'm not entirely convinced about the interbreeding with Neanderthals. I do not doubt that it may have happened occaisionally; but I don't think that is how they became extinct. They had distinctive features that do not appear to be a part of our current physical appearance. For example, wouldn't features such as the bell-shaped chest and longer (front to back) head show up from time to time in their decendants?

Leveller

Apr 28, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: The human journey

Laika said:
Just to clarify, I am not attempting to justify racism or xenophobia! It was just a random idea I had when trying to understand those concepts in an objective manner. I realize these are emotionally charged topics, but that doesn't stop me from wondering "What makes us do the things we do?"

Just to clarify, I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. My fault. It's good to wonder what makes us do the things we do.

Laika said:
For example, wouldn't features such as the bell-shaped chest and longer (front to back) head show up from time to time in their decendants?

Look around. I see these features sometimes, less prominent of course. But I also don't think there was a lot of intermixing.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
I would love to have my ancestry traced...but not for $99. My Nan has questioned her many a time about where the black hair came from in our family...was there a close encounter with some asian blood at some point...my great grandma says no but everyone was blond until my great grandma has kids and now most of us have black hair!!!

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
:eek: watch out now, P - you know how many Frasers there are knocking about. You may find your $99 wasted on some vague stuff you could've found out yourself.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
I am thinking that they are just going to send you a letter saying you are decended from Africans and leave it at that. If you do do it though Pea you'll have to post where you are from!!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Henry I have done the frasers, thats my mom's family, my fathers was already done Since I don't have his last name anymore, I can say he was Dube, accent over the e :p Now I am starting to work on my mothers, mothers family. English, went by the name of Last. Came to quebec for some free land in the 1800"s. Emma we could be related 8O I know I am already related to henry :p

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I believe there must have been a love/hate relationship with our homonid cousins when we shared the same living space. As humans there would've been no doubt that there would have been conflict between groups, but interbreeding is sometimes a result of that conflict also. Who Knows. I remember hearing of a study being done in Europe on Testing DNA in regards to answer that question, but that was a couple years ago and I haven't heard anything since.

I believe it happened though, I saw a photograph of my great great great uncle from the mid 1800's, and I swear it was a cro-magnon with a top hat and mutton chops...or a shaved gorilla. Either way there's gotta be a bit of them in us, especially if your ancestors were from Europe.