Fun in the Ditch

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
So anybody have any odd but fun recollections?

The reason I ask is that a little bit ago I watched a couple of drunk boys drive a truck into the ditch. It's a deep ditch, so it likely qualifies as a crash. It's okay though...I helped them escape. Actually I gave them each a beer to drink in the car 8O and handed them over to their DAD.

Why not? Christ, if I'd been arrested every time I had too much fun, I'd be hanging from a tree by now.

Anyway, it made me wonder about the joys of the ditch. tell us your ditch stories.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Well, I don't have a ditch story per se, but when I was 16, I was driving my parent's car, a '68 Mustang. I came to a roundabout, and in the act of mightily showing off, I took it at about 50 mph. Unsurprisingly, the car went up and over the curb... and stayed that way, very stuck.

The problem of the stuck car was easy. Being 16 meant that I was soon surrounded by strong helpful young men who quickly pulled the car back off the curb. Still, though, there was some pretty nasty damage underneath. Luckily, it was nothing noticeable unless you looked under there, and the car still drove same as always. My parents didn't notice the damage, and life went on as before.

Years later, though, my dad still had that car, and someone, in snowy conditions, slid gently back into him. It was a minor accident. Dad was a bit confused about it, though, because although the bumper was barely bruised, there was considerable damage underneath. So odd! Keeping a wide-eyed innocent look of surprise and commiseration on my face while hearing of this was definitely one of my Great Moments in Improv Acting. :cool:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Are you sure that didn't all happen in Regina? I distinctly remember pushing three young ladies in a Mustang out of the same situation on Avonhurst Boulevard once. They thanked us profusely, then left without offering us sexual favours. These things happened. Especially the not getting sexual favours part.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I spent one youthful summer doing farm work - fruit picking, and such. Well, it soon became apparent that the easiest job was the sit down one, ie driving the tractor. So, when the farmer came along to ask "can anyone here drive a tractor?", I thought about it for a milli-second then said "Yes, I can." Of course, I couldn't at all - in fact it was the first powered vehicle I'd ever sat behind the wheel of. I left it on it's side in the titular ditch, not bothering even to collect payment for services rendered, and scarpered. I only hope he had another one, with which to drag it out of the ditch.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
I think you may recall my "ditch story", Rev - about my trip in 1971, with hitting a deer at night on my 750 Honda, near Trail BC. So much for the trip to Regina....

I'd go into more detail, but it's getting late, and this damn howl out of my CPU fan is driving me bonkers!

Perhaps next week, when I get it back from being fixed.....

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Fun in the Ditch

Reverend Blair said:
Are you sure that didn't all happen in Regina? I distinctly remember pushing three young ladies in a Mustang out of the same situation on Avonhurst Boulevard once. They thanked us profusely, then left without offering us sexual favours. These things happened. Especially the not getting sexual favours part.

Nah, this happened before your time, Rev, it was in '68, down at Ambleside Beach in West Van. Oh, and I, in my gratitude, offered a night of really twisted kinky sex. :cool: ... kidding....

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
You mean were the same age Rev ? :lol: You born in 64? 8) Were you born in St. Bonifaset hospital ?Not sure of the spelling