Life lessons

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Do you have a single most powerful life lesson that you would like to share with others? I have a few, but right now I have to do some work, I be back later to read all your wonderful posts :p or not :twisted:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
peapod said:
Do you have a single most powerful life lesson that you would like to share with others? I have a few, but right now I have to do some work, I be back later to read all your wonderful posts :p or not :twisted:

Love thy neighbor (outside of the biblical reference) doesn't always apply. :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Take responsibility for your actions.

Don't be a victim of yourself

Let it go. It really doesn't matter. Learn the good from it. Let go of the bad.

Smile. All the time. For the hell of it.

Listen. Don't advice. They'll ask your opinion if they want it. Don't assume they need it. don't be angry if they don't take it.

I can't remember where I heard this or who said it but it's brilliant:

"Happiness is a journey. Not a destination.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto

You got it, Twila. This was one of the most difficult life lessons I ever learned. When I was just 16, with very little money, I was out with some friends. It was late at night, and I was backing my old beater car out of a parking spot at some motel or bar (? I can't remember). Anyway, I was stupid and cut the wheel, and then backed up. Of course my front end swung around and sideswiped the car parked next to me - it did quite a bit of damage. Every part of me screamed 'get out of there!', but I stopped. I went in to the place and tracked down the fellow who owned the car, and explained what had happened. I gave him my contact info and agreed to pay for all damages. I had to work for months to pay it off, but it was a great lesson, and I can still look back now and be proud.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: Life lessons

Twila said:

Don't be a victim of yourself

Let it go. It really doesn't matter. Learn the good from it. Let go of the bad.

Smile. All the time. For the hell of it.

Listen. Don't advice. They'll ask your opinion if they want it. Don't assume they need it. don't be angry if they don't take it.

I can't remember where I heard this or who said it but it's brilliant:

"Happiness is a journey. Not a destination.

Those are wise words we should all try to live by ,Twila. Well said. :)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Zig Zag green papers are in the package backwards, so if you roll a cigarette in the dark by feel it will fall apart after you light it and the hot ember will become entangled in your chest hair.

That's a life lesson I won't forget soon.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
Courtesy of my Grandad...
Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.

From my autograph book, courtesy of my old minister...
Don't be what you isn't,
Just be what you is,
'Cause when you is what you isn't,
Then you isn't what you is!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I like your t shirts vanni :p

Well ehm...lets see I was thinking about more along the lines of humour, such a question is something pondered, like forever. :p

I always like to find things out for myself, this can be both good and bad :p An example would be when we would visit my nanny (grandmother) on the shores of lake huron. ( I just like saying that, it makes me feel like hawathia. She would get ice on the inside of her window panes. We were fascinated by ice inside, and I was told why I should not put my tongue on the window. Yes it was all revealed, the science, the conquences laid out. Still tho, I had to find out for myself...and everything they told me was true. I know it was because I found out for myself :p

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Never put regular dish soap in the dishwasher, particularly if it's a built-in.

This is sound advice. However, there are some people who are simply unable to take advice such as this without knowing the 'why". Such as myself.

I now know the "why" of it. But I had to find out the hard way. Or rather the wet sudsy way.

Life lessons with humour is what your looking for, eh Pea?

Well here's one for you. Never let a goat chew on your pony tail. It looks cute while they're doing it. However at some point they will chew through and you will be left lopsided!

Never tell small children that they have 'tatoes in their ears. You'll scare them. Instead simply call it what it is..ear wax. No need to cutsy it up for them. You'll only make them cry. Like I did to my daughter, who found it particularily horrifying to have vegetable growing inside her ears.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
My sis and I experimented with the dish soap too... we even added more on the cutlery. :D

Not particularly funny, but I also learned its's not a good idea to tell a frightened child that they're "safe now". My son gets night terrors, and when I told him that, he looked at me with huge eyes and asked "From what?!?"

Good point.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Some children are far too literal.

I asked my daughter to clean her room. I said "I want everything picked up off the floor"

She started bawling and wailing about how she didn't know if she was even able to pick up her dresser or her bed.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
When my daughter was 3 she was given a $3 allowance to do chores, which included cleaning up her room. Her Dad told her one Saturday to get at it, and when she balked he told her she wouldn't get her allowance till it was done. She immediately went to her room, and before we could be impressed with how well that worked, she reappeared, and handed him a Twonie and a Loonie and said, "Here's $3 Daddy. Go clean up my room."

Clever girl.

Cathou

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2005
Montréal
Here the simgle most important life teach me : Never regret anything : No matter hard or painfull is the path that you life have take, everything you live contribute to make yourself what you are.