if you could meet one person

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: if you could meet one

H.L. Mencken. To sit in a bar with that man for an afternoon and listen to him ridicule politicians and creationists would be educational as hell.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well who better 8) rev, he was a reporter at the scopes monkey trial.
"quote from his reporting"

"Darrow has lost this case. It was lost long before he came to Dayton. But it seems to me that he has nevertheless performed a great public service by fighting it to a finish and in a perfectly serious way. Let no one mistake it for comedy, farcical though it may be in all its details. It serves notice on the country that Neanderthal man is organizing in these forlorn backwaters of the land, led by a fanatic, rid of sense and devoid of conscience. Tennessee, challenging him too timorously and too late, now sees its courts converted into camp meetings and its Bill of Rights made a mock of by its sworn officers of the law. There are other States that had better look to their arsenals before the Hun is at their gates."

Anyway, mine would have to be shackleton, his feat never ceases to amaze me, I can read it over and over again and every time its more amazing than the last.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I'd like to hang out with Hieronymus Bosch for about a day and see what makes him tick.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Winston Churchill. One of the most important figures of the past century, a great leader, a sense of humor, and a drunk to boot!

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Of course peapod :p Others: Mordechai Anilewicz, one of the leaders of the Jewish Uprising in the Warsaw Ghetto in 1943 (I read some interesting things about him). My greatgrandparents, and two of my grandparents who died before I reached the age of 1. There are more, but at this moment I can't think of any.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well yes I also forgot about you ricky...ehm..what a ponder...okay If I were to be able to met shackleton, I would insist that my live hero come along...that would be da man ricky :p :wink:

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
John Diefenbaker Just to ask him why he sold out Avro and Canada :? And Robert Oppenheimer I'd have a million questions for him :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

So would I, Emma. He wasn't given to spending the afternnon drinking beer though, by most accounts...that's why I went for Mencken.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I'd like to meet Freddy too...if only to ask him what the hell he was thinking with that whole retro-50's thing.

I'm more interested in Justin than Pierre now, Gonzo. Pierre was a relatively known quantity, but his kids aren't and Justin seems destined for politics. I also want to know if he and Joe Clark's kid ever had a thing for each other...but I don't want to start some weird Frankensteinian eugenics movement.

I would have liked to have been there when Pierre Trudeau and Rene Levesque were young men arguing with each other in bars though. By all accounts those were very interesting discussions. They didn't know it at the time, but they were defining the future of their country.