Walmart in China

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
i had no idea...that there are 43 walmart stores in china.

they have opened a store in yellowknife, causing the local businesses to try to fight and stay alive.

what will happen in 15 years, will our society go full circle and go 'back to basics' - shopping locally?

there are 256 in canada, of which 80% have 'pantry' services. they now have opened in southern ontario food stores with the 'sam' club.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
I try to shop locally as much as possible, but cost is definitely a factor. Why should I pay extra to support a local business when I can save money by buying it elsewhere?

The little guys have to do something to encourage me to spend my dollars in their stores. Offer me excellent service, have a great return policy, get to know my name...

Don't just open your doors and expect people do do right by you.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
they have opened a store in yellowknife, causing the local businesses to try to fight and stay alive.

That sucks, If they can keep the prices the same as the "down south" prices they have, the Yellowknife buisnessess are FORKED! Prices are double to triple normally there.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
galaniomama I forgot to mention to you, go and read that thread in the lounge called economics of sustainability. Did you watch the program the other night on this? You have to check this man out. :wink:

FirstKnight

Mar 25, 2005
Re: RE: Walmart in China

LadyC said:
have a great return policy

You've hit it right on..!!

Nothing beats over the counter returns..3 Months,6 Months..Upto a year on many items..

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"southern ontario food stores with the 'sam' club."

We have one just down the road form me. Great store, if you like that kinda thing.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
China Mart =Junk their stuff needs warrantys because you always have to take it back.I wonder if they sell Walmart as a lifestyle in China like they ddo in the US and here?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
One thing about ontario, when I visit my uncle in kitchener, they have a huge amish farmer market, its one of the best I have ever seen, to many people tho. :p

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast

FirstKnight said:
LadyC said:
have a great return policy

You've hit it right on..!!

Nothing beats over the counter returns..3 Months,6 Months..Upto a year on many items..
Costco has one of the best return policies... they'll even take stuff back they didn't even sell in the first place. I've seen people return tents and other camping gear in the fall, and computers and DVD players when it's time for the upgrade... for a full refund.

I love shopping at Costco. :D

FirstKnight

Mar 25, 2005

LadyC said:
Costco has one of the best return policies... :D

We shop alot at Costco also..Actually just bought a new convection microwave and a coffee brewer there last weekend..

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
peapod said:
One thing about ontario, when I visit my uncle in kitchener, they have a huge amish farmer market, its one of the best I have ever seen, to many people tho. :p

Kitchener is an old German stomping ground.

There are lots of Mennonite, Amish and Quakers around these parts.

You have to love Ontario.....

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
It only makes sense seeing as how everything at Walmart is MADE in China!

yeah, that's what i thought too! crazy world eh? but i really didn't think they had that many stores there, i guess they are gearing up for the olympics.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I think it is ironic they are in China, but China's economy is growing at twice as fast as the American one and is expected to overtake it by 2042.

I wonder how long before they go to India? Another ecomomy that is booming.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I heard that zellers may be no more .Target is looking to buy them out .That will suck another big US corporation taking over