Gonzo Art and Pics

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Nice stuff man, Is your art done all by computer? or do you also get down and dirty with the other fun stuff?

I'm sticking to carving sandstone at the moment, there seems to be an abundance of it on PEI.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Thanks. Carving sandstone sounds like fun. I love that kind of stuff on buildings. What designs do you carve? I draw my pictures, clean them up, and colour them on adobe. Some shading I do with ink, or pencil. Adobe itself takes a long time to use, but I like the results.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Well what I usually create is free standing and usually is considered 3 dimentional so no matter whatever angle you place it in it's always interesting.

My subjects vary, it depends...on what's in the stone I guess. Sometimes wildlife comes out, others it can be a collage of images. My latest seems to have become a nautaloid type cephalopod of some sort that has just entangled (and is about to devour) a fish.

I blame the Inuit for their influence. They made me take carving classes in grade school, but now at least I have more than just a file at my disposal.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I love Inuit and native art. In Victoria there are alot of totem polls and art all over the city. Right beside the BC museum is a park full of native art.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
The cross Canada pics are in order from Victoria to Ontario. They're all along highway 1. Rogers pass is the one with the icicles, then its Banff, Medicine Hat, Moose Jaw, Winnipeg, northern Ontario. The last picture is of a sunset at Lake Superior.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Gonzo your art work is awesome, and I especially like the one of the church downtown. Did you ever go into the long house at the museum. Great sketches of Victoria. Your very talented, but than you are a innovator :wink:

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Thanks. Such kind words from a pea in a pod :D Is the long house beside the museum and accross from the Empress, with all the totem polls? IF thats it then yes. It's realy cool! I want to take my next vacation back in Victoria. THis time I'd have some money to do more things, like whale watching and exploring the island more. It was too hard to try to find a job when I lived there.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Yes thats the one. The smell of the place is intoxicating, all that cedar :p To bad you never made it to the queen charlottes gonzo, thats where emily carr painted alot of her totem pictures. Its never what you know gonzo, its who you know when it comes to finding that job in "victoria" just like politcs :p

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Hey Gonzo next time you go to the island go up to Port Hardy and theres a trail there that will take you to the most western point of Canada. The wind and ocean have slanted all the trees and washed the rock smooth its a really cool place it make for some great shots!

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
gonzo - your pics are wonderful! thanks a lot for sharing them. is that 'castle' building craigdarroch castle? either that or else it is a building in quebec city. love all of them!

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I'm not sure what its called it was ten years ago P but it was a remarkable place very violent with the wind and the ocean pounding away at the island .I have never seen anything like in my travels since.I'm going to take my kids there hopefully this summer