I am so angry!!!!!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
This morning I picked up the local newspaper, on the front page is the story of some of the things people are doing to the bunnies up at the university.

UVic and its bunny killers

For the third time in just over a year the police have been called to investigate what appears to be an unprovoked bunny killing at the university of victoria.
An employee reporting for work at Uvic's commmons block made the grisly find early wednesday morning.
Campus security discovered the deceased rabbit hanging outside the window of the village grees cafeteria, a vegetarian-oriented eatery adjacent to the commons block student residences. Anti vegetarian graffiti was also scrawled on the window.

Uvic spokesman Patti Pitts said a security camera recorded the images of three males arriving at the scene, remving the bunny from a sack and hanging it on a string where it could be seen by cafeteria patrons.
Its sad and senseless Pitts said. The university doesn't condone any kind of animal cruelty.
But Pitts said the quality of the images on the videotape may not be clear enough to discern the identities of the culprits.
Saanich police are investigating, though they did not have any suspects identified immediately after the incident.
The first incident last fall, a man and a women were arrested after the campus bunny was found with an arrow through its ears.
The two were fined $100 for discharging a bow and arrow in contravention of saanich bylaws.
However they were never charged with animal cruelty.
In September, a Uvic student who fatally BEAT a rabbit while in a drunken stupor pleaded guilty t animal cruelty and received absolute discharge.

You know from everything I read about serial killers, one thing that stands out is their cruelity to animals. There is no way anyone could ever convience me that someone who would beat a bunny to death is not a threat to society.

acidcomplex

Mar 29, 2005
Canada
everyone was once young and stupid, although I do have a problem with the way people are going to look at this, if they had killed a rat and hung it outside the window do you think this would even be news?. Not everything is black and white. I would kill a rat in a second however I would not kill a bunny because society tells me that its wrong to kill something so cute and fluffy :)

*Note: I do not condone killing animals of any kind*

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
cute and fluffy...well how about not killing something that cannot defend itself or understand what you are doing to them. I was young once to, and even drank beer...and never EVER did I consider killing a helpless creature. Personally I find NOTHING young and silly in killing.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't consider rabbits to be much higher up than rats. They are vermin that eat my garden. That isn't the point. You don't torture animals. I don't care how much beer you've had.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I remember visiting the University. The bunnies are a part of the campus. They don’t do any harm. I don’t understand how people can hurt animals like that. It baffles me how people move out to the country, then complain about raccoons and deer and rabbits. People are stupid.
With our ever expanding cities, where are animals going to go? If humans don’t learn to coexist with nature, we'll get screwed.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I don't consider rabbits to be much higher up than rats. They are vermin that eat my garden.

They are both Rodents. Rats eat your garden? weird.

Anybody that can kill a bunny has some serious empathy issues. I understand how some can kill rats. Most think their disgusting filthy creatures. But a bunny is all warm fuzzy innocence. It speaks volumes as to their mental state.

The fact that they then showcase it to a vegetarians speaks of absolute inhumanity.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Rats eat your garden? weird.

Poor phrasing. We have no rats as far as I know (gonna keep my fingers crossed on that too). Rabbits eat my garden.

It baffles me how people move out to the country, then complain about raccoons and deer and rabbits.

A big part of the problem is that we've gotten rid of so many of the predators, either on purpose or through the way toxins work their way up the food chain. The problem isn't racoons and deer and rabbits, it's too many racoons and deer and rabbits.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I know about 4 or 5 years back, there was a big stink at U-VIC as they wanted to cull the rabbit population, and I dont believe they ever did. In a way I guess they are an important part of the eco-system? I dunno.

I notice now a lot of "wild" rabbits around my neighbourhood, I guess it is just a cycle, maybe?

I don't mind rabbits. When I lived in Fort St. John I used to hunt them and eat them. I actually used to run some of the rabbits through my meat grinder and make "rabbit burger" very lean and tasty.( I hope this did not upset anyone)

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
I hate to think of things like this happening! Do you guys get Animal Hospital over there? Unlikely I suppose- my husband thinks it's rubbish but I like watching it- it's based in the RSPCA hospitals (rescue centres) in the UK. Some of the acts of cruelty that you see on there are apauling but more than often they end happily with the animals being rehomed.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
We have some quite tame deer in our local park,and last year,3 of our local young drunken idiots went in and beat one of them to death. That incident really caused the old blood to boil!They were caught and fined,of course,but I would have liked a more severe penalty.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
That's what I was worried about. Until I relealized that even with that many channels there's rarely anything good on.

Although I really enjoy animal planet, it too has lots of repeats and shows I have no interest in.

We also get IFC (Independant Film Channel) they have some excellent movies. Some really strange movies.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Just sick. Does Canada have tough punishments when it comes to cruelity against animals? I know back here it has become a serious point at the national agenda after a whole series of cruelity against animals. Just last week a foal was severely beaten to death for no reason - they broke almost all bones in his little body. The owner though has announced that the person or persons who know who did it and who are willing to turn them in will get a price of 25,000 euros. Now even rightish parties have turned to the government to ask for tougher punishments.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
Poor little foal!! There was a spate of cruelty in the UK a few years ago where someone was going out and slahing horses in the face with a knife. The owners ended up sleeping in the stables with them to protect them!
I just can't understand it- how can someone make something suffer so much? and watch it?

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
The Seal Hunt realy pisses me off. The reason our fishery is in such a bad shape is over-fishing, and polution. But they blame the seal population and want to bash there heads in and skin them alive. Nature has always worked itself out, it doesn't need us screwing around with it.
When I hear of animal cuelty I get pissed off. Psychopaths start off torturing animals and then progress to people. We need tough laws to protect animals and wild life.

Walrus

Nominee Member
Mar 20, 2005
Victoria
peapod said:
cute and fluffy...well how about not killing something that cannot defend itself or understand what you are doing to them. I was young once to, and even drank beer...and never EVER did I consider killing a helpless creature. Personally I find NOTHING young and silly in killing.

But you have no qualms about yanking some poor vegetable from the warm embrace of the earth, skinning it while it's alive and devouring it before it succumbs from its injuries - shame on you :lol:

On a serious note, I don't condone the willful killing of rabbits as has happened, unfortunately the fact that their natural predators can no longer live within the city limits of Victoria due to the close contact with people, rabbits have now become more of a health menace due to their ability to propagate. There are way too many of the damn things around here :twisted: The proper solution becomes a controlled cull - as much as many people would oppose that as well :cry: