Can we train animals to predict natural disasters?

dr_farzan

Mar 21, 2005
Sweden
In 373 B.C., historians recorded that animals, including rats, snakes and weasels, deserted the Greek city of Helice in droves just days before a quake devastated the place. Similar accounts of animal behavior at earthquakes have surfaced across the globe since. In Anshan, China, people believe so strongly that animals can predict earthquakes even up to a week in advance. Interestingly, the zoo keepers at that city zoo are now reporting to the seismological bureau whenever they find the animals acting strangely.
Can we train animals to predict natural disasters?

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it
RE: Can we train animals

We don't have to train them, they already do it by themselves. You know the Tsunami that just hit? Half an hour before it hit the animals were all in hiding.

The only thing we have to do is train people to be smart. If you see animals running and hiding, you should do the same ;).

dr_farzan

Mar 21, 2005
Sweden
Yes, CrEsPo.I had read the animal behaviour during the Sumatra Tsunami.In fact, I had been a witness to the sunami during my vacation in the south eastern part of India on Boxing day.We all know the ability of a dog with its nose. We train dogs to be sniffer dogs, police dogs,etc.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Part of the problem is that we aren't in tune with animals anymore. We used to use them to predict the weather (short term, not this groundhog crap) because they can smell rain before we can. They have better hearing in different ranges than us, so they'd be able to hear things like the tsunami and earthquakes earlier.

It isn't magic or a sixth sense, it's the fact that animals' senses are more finely tuned than our own.

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it

Exactly Rev., the animals can sense things so much better than us humans. They can hear sounds at lower and higher frequencies than we can.

I've read somewhere that half an hour before the tsunami hit that the animals were already scattering. That was most likely because they heard the earthquake.