Favorite quotes

peapod
Favorite quotes famous or otherwise

Once when I was lost...... I saw a policeman, and asked him to help me find my parents. I said to him.... "Do you think we'll ever find them? "He said. "I don't know kid..there are so many places they can hide."

Reverend Blair
Look out for yourself-or they'll pee on your grave.
--Louis B. Mayer

Gonzo
"Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe". Albert Einstein

Reverend Blair
Puritanism-the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

--H.L. Mencken

Stretch
“Seek your own truth, then have the wisdom to know when it its found”
The Members of the House of Kheperu.

Hard-Luck Henry
I like the following, from Mark Twain:
"If we hadn't our bewitching autumn foliage, we should still have to credit the weather with one feature which compensates for all its bullying vagaries-the ice-storm: when a leafless tree is clothed with ice from the bottom to the top -- ice that is as bright and clear as crystal; when every bough and twig is strung with ice-beads, frozen dew-drops, and the whole tree sparkles cold and white, like the Shah of Persia's diamond plume. Then the wind waves the branches and the sun comes out and turns all those myriads of beads and drops to prisms that glow and burn and flash with all manner of colored fires, which change and change again with inconceivable rapidity from blue to red, from red to green, and green to gold-the tree becomes a spraying fountain, a very explosion of dazzling jewels; and it stands there the acme, the climax, the supremest possibility in art or nature, of bewildering, intoxicating, intolerable magnificence. One cannot make the words too strong."

peapod
Beautiful!!!!!! henry

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Henry David Thoreau

It should read many women go fishing :P

Reverend Blair
Usually when a lot of men get together, it's called a war.

--Mel Brooks

Stretch
"Just look at us.
Everything is backwards; everything is upside down.
Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice,
universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom,
the major media destroy information
and religions destroy spirituality" ~-Michael Ellner

Vanni Fucci
Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. ~Author Unknown

Reverend Blair
Is it progress ifa cannibal uses a fork?

Stanislaw Lec

Vanni Fucci
I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.

--Robert Frost

Reverend Blair
I never said Ed Muskie was taking Ibogaine.

I said there was a rumour in Milwaukee that a strange Brazilian doctor had been showing up at his suite to administer heavy shots of some strange drug called Ibogaine.

Of course it wasn't true. I never said it was true. I said there was a rumour to that effect. I made up the rumour.

--Hunter S. Thompson

LadyC
Ah but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
or what's a Heaven for?
-Robert Browning.

Grow old along with me,
The best is yet to be,
The last, for which the first was made.
-also Browning.

Reverend Blair
America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Hunter S. Thompson

Vanni Fucci
Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity. -- John Lennon

Reverend Blair
A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.
--T.H. Huxley

Hard-Luck Henry
A fanatic is a man who consciously overcompensates a secret doubt.
--Aldous Huxley

missile
The sun ain't yellow,it's chicken--Bob Dylan

tibear
We wish nothing more, but we will accept nothing less. Masters in our own house we must be, but our house is the whole of Canada. -- Pierre Trudeau

Was he implying that we need to take action in other people's lives????

peapod
It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses. ~Daphne Fielding, The Duchess of Jermyn Street

Hard-Luck Henry
The brief discussion in the Darwin Day thread, re. sex and religion, reminded me of a poem by Blake:

The Garden of Love

I went to the Garden of Love.
And saw what I never had seen:
A Chapel was built in the midst,
Where I used to play on the green.
And the gates of this Chapel were shut,
And "Thou Shalt Not", writ over the door;
So I turn'd to the Garden of Love,
That so many sweet flowers bore,
And I saw it filled with graves,
And tomb-stones where flowers should be:
And Priests in black gowns, were walking their rounds,
And binding with briars, my joys & desires.

Tom McNall
+1
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -******* wet napkin wrapper

Twila
+1
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
-Winston Churchill

missile
That'll be the day-John Wayne in "The Searchers"

Reverend Blair
+1 / -1
To be patriotic, hate all nations but your own; to be religious, all sects but your own; to be moral, all pretences but your own.

Hard-Luck Henry
One going to take a pointed stick to poke a baby bird, should first try it on themselves, to see how it hurts.

Dexter Sinister
+1
"The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind."

H. L. Mencken

zenfisher
Oooohhh... you crazy fools don't you know you had it made...you were living in paradise...Les Emerson ( sp)

Reverend Blair
The Anglo-Saxon conscience does not prevent the Anglo-Saxon from sinning, it merely prevents him from enjoying his sin.
--Salvador deMadariaga.