Favorite quotes

zenfisher
Lighten up....Tom Robbins

(V)ercury
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

-Albert Einstein

tibear
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. -Another Albert Einstein

Hard-Luck Henry
Curse the blasted jelly-boned swines, the slimy belly-wriggling invertebrates, the miserable sodding rotters, the flaming sods, the snivelling, dribbling, dithering, palsied pulseless lot that make up England today. They've got white of egg in their veins and their spunk is that watery it's a marvel they can breed.... D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930), in a letter to Ed. Garnett, 3 July 1912

peapod
Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"
The Dude :P

Girl82
Here are a few I like

Happiness depends upon ourselves

Being in love is feeling the sun from both sides

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Hard-Luck Henry
I've cut and pasted this straight from the movie lines quiz, apologies for repeating myself but (imo) it's so good it deserves a place here.

"I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight."
Slacker Danny - the inventor of the 16 skin Camberwell Carrot - in "Withnail & I"

Hard-Luck Henry
"Contrary to Bush's claim that we hate freedom, let him tell us why we did not attack Sweden." Osama bin Laden

Reverend Blair
"That picker there in trouble boy,
Ain't nothin' but a darker side of you."

Waylon Jennings

peapod
In cross examination, as in FISHING, nothing is more ungainly than a fisherman pulled into the water by his catch.
Louis nizer

Vanni Fucci
The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them. ~~ Mark Twain

Vanni Fucci
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
~~ Voltaire

Hard-Luck Henry
"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Albert Einstein

Pemmican
"You're annoyed at not being invited to a party, that you wouldn't have gone to anyway.
Being away is just half as nice then."

Liselotte Pulver, Swiss actress (*1929)

Pemmican
"The older I get, the more people listen to me - even though I say the same as always..."

Sir Peter Ustinov (1921-2004)

Pemmican
"News anchormen always start with 'Good evening!' and need 15 minutes then to explain why it isn't a good evening..."

Rudi Carrell, Dutch TV-show-host, actor, producer (*1935)

Pemmican
"I search a partner for my solo-carreer!"

Anke Engelke (*1965), German comedian

Twila
Some guys asked me what Punk was.

So I kicked over a garbage can and said "That's punk"

He kicks over a garbage can and says "That's punk?'

I said " No, that's trendy"

Billy Joe Armstrong - Green day

peapod
Atheism is a non-prophet organization
George Carlin

Vanni Fucci
"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" George W. Bush

Hard-Luck Henry
"If I'm not for myself, who will be for me?
If not this way,how? If not now, when?"

peapod
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

Vanni Fucci
I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence.
-- J.R.R. Tolkien

peapod
Nature herself makes the wise man/women rich.
Cicero

Vanni Fucci
Nature abhors a vacuum, and if I can only walk with sufficient carelessness I am sure to be filled. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

Vanni Fucci
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~~ Joseph Wood Krutch

Vanni Fucci
I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels. ~~ Pearl S. Buck

Vanni Fucci
When I go into the garden with a spade, and dig a bed, I feel such an exhilaration and health that I discover that I have been defrauding myself all this time in letting others do for me what I should have done with my own hands. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey Rev...maybe you can get him to till your garden for you... :P

peapod
You have no idea just how true that really is

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." ~Robin Tyler

Tom McNall
I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
Groucho Marx