Darwin Day

View Poll Results: Should Canada make Darwin Day a national statuatory holiday?
Yes 8 72.73%
Of course 1 9.09%
No. I hate science. 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

peapod
Well speaking of science...listen to this...I just found out that one of my brothers, who is building a house..this is important...

Well when the site was being excuvated for the foundation...guess what was found....this is exciting....ready....

2 DINOSAUR EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not kidding!!! I just found out!!!!!! now science desends upon my brothers land I am sure it will be in the paper and I can link it up here.. I do not know what kind or what...more info to follow..

Vanni Fucci
Hey Pea...

That kicks a lot of ***...I'm a bit of an armchair paleontologist myself...

merryclaire
that is totally cool pea!!
how exciting is that?
i want dinosaur eggs!!

merryclaire
my sweet RB
i am starting to believe that you think i am a dodo bird that is in need of educating.
i can only hope that i am ever so wrong in this assumption.
i think i stated in my last thread that while i did not believe that darwin was the main man, it was apparent that you did and let's leave it at that and every one goes home and plays hokie pokie.
but you had to go and say that cutures for making meds were based on evolutionary theory, which makes me wonder what the heck you're thinking.
people were playing with microscopes, etc and knew their were little wee things long before anyone came along and started talking about sparrows with long thin beaks in the galapigo islands
and as for someone changing our basic assumptions of life, i believe that most of the men i mentioned did that as well, so you see, now you're making me repeat myself, so it must be a trend in here

what i believe is that you think darwin is the main man, and i am happy that you think that, but what i said right in the beginning, is that i don't.
i think that your main agenda seems to be to thumb your nose at all christians and their beliefs and that darwin best represents the way to do that.

and i've changed my mind, i don't think their should be a scientist day.
i've decided that in these times of war and chaos, that we are all better served by remembering our humanity and our better natures. something that science, while necessary and important, doesn't neccessarily do.

so, in those lines, let's skip darwin day and make a national holiday called love, peace and happiness day.

Reverend Blair
Knowing that something is there and understanding how to control it and make it useful are two very different things, MerryClaire.

The men you've met that have changed things for you have not done the same for a whole society. It is doubtful that they even did it for whatever their area of specialization...few people do.

I'm not terribly concerned whether you agree with idea of a Darwin Day or not, but since you are not the only one here I thought I should answer the concerns raised, no matter who raised them or why. You can continue to partake in the conversation or not, but don't expect me to stop just because it makes you uncomfortable.

Your assumptions about my motives are far off base and have the ring of an excuse about them. I say that because I have consistently and repeatedly given reasons for why we should have Darwin Day. Among those reasons is the promotion of science over superstition, but it is not, as you insist, just to thumb my nose at religion.

So you can agree to disagree MerryClaire. I'll continue to promote Darwin Day.

merryclaire
The men you've met that have changed things for you have not done the same for a whole society. It is doubtful that they even did it for whatever their area of specialization...few people do.

....i said the men i have mentioned in the previous threads....descartes, mendehl, etc etc....and everyone i stated has vastly pushed the boundaries of their societies and belief systems of their relevant times...all of them were ground breakers that have paved the way for our thinking today
unfortunately the men i've met in this lifetime, have done little to change things for me, let alone society *sigh*

darwin did not know how to control and make useful little wee beasties because he developed the theory of evolution.

trust me the conversation does not make me feel uncomfortable, but thank you for the concern

no ring of excuse to my theory on your motives. just the feeling i gathered from the various threads i have seen you post. you seem to not enjoy religion very much and seem happy to try to disparage it. maybe i am wrong.

science is good, so is religion.
science is bad, so is religion.
it is the people behind the religion and science who make it good or bad.
i don't believe religion is superstition.
i do believe that if all we are left with is science and no religion, the world will be a soulless place. there will be soulless people in charge of science, making godlike decisions.
how scary is that?
and RB, i like science, i'm not scared of science. i'm scared of soulless people.

missile
No problem with having a new holiday in February,I just think that it should be named after a Canadian ,or something Canadian[preferably something to do with the season.]

Reverend Blair
There's nothing soulless about science, MerryClaire.

Quote:

darwin did not know how to control and make useful little wee beasties because he developed the theory of evolution.

I never said that Darwin knew how to do that, I said that his theory affected the way it was done and allowed it to be done efficiently and in a controlled manner. Darwin's theory did, in fact, affect micro-biology. That's where those little beasties get studied and developed, MerryClaire.

Quote:

you seem to not enjoy religion very much and seem happy to try to disparage it. maybe i am wrong.

I enjoy religion immensely. Any discussion of the human condition and/or philosophy without religion would be terribly incomplete. It should not be taught as science though, because it is not science. More than that, I think it is time that we strongly affirmed that our decisions as society are based in fact.

Quote:

i do believe that if all we are left with is science and no religion, the world will be a soulless place.

Have I suggested that? No, I have not. I've not said that we need to get rid of the religious holidays that we celebrate. I've not said that we should enforce atheism by law or promote it any more than any other belief system.

What I have sugggested is that we give science a day of its own as a way of acknowledging its importance in our society and affirming our dedication to fact-based decision making. Because of the impact that Darwin had on the world, and because of when his birthday is, and because we need a long weekend in February, I suggest that we use his birthday as that day.

Vanni Fucci
I'm a big fan of Marshall J. Gauvin, a great Canadian freethinker...here's a transcript of a speech he delivered in Minneapolis in 1921...

Heart of the Bible (external - login to view)

...in it he touches upon the discussion of evolution vs. creation, and in my opinion, and with the facts that he there presented, there leaves little room for debate...

...I think Gauvin would have supported your motion Rev, were he still with us today...and if you're interested, I understand that all of his original works were deeded to the University of Manitoba...might be worth checking out...

peapod
You could even have great writers day....like say CS Lewis...a religious man...only offering his own spiritual journey, not trying to shove it down my throat :P I could appreciate that, and he wrote some great books...like coronicles of Naria..We never had X boxes, just books :P and the great outdoors.

Reverend Blair
That should be required reading for everyone. I heard of Gauvin, but never that speech before.

peapod
It should be presented in schools rev, everyone should be presented with all facts, and than they can decide for themselves what they believe. Trouble there are people out there that don't want you to think for yourself.

What I despise about it, is how it is used to munipulate ignorant uneducated people. And you don't have to attend school to educate yourself. The munipulation is used for greed and personal wealth and power. I still greatly admire isaac asimov's essay on how religion is used by people in postions of power. He must have shook his head, but he could still look up in the night sky and know the truth :P

I don't care if you pray to a paper cup!! or that is your god! As long as you don't think you are a god :P

Reverend Blair
Or Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land.

The other thing that should be required reading is Greg Bear's "Darwin's Radio." It's really cool.

tibear
Absolutely agree with you MerryClaire.

RB, worded the poll to make sure that there was really only one answer. A deliberate attack on the section of the religious citizens of Canada.

Jay
"It should be presented in schools rev, everyone should be presented with all facts, and than they can decide for themselves what they believe. Trouble there are people out there that don't want you to think for yourself."

Is that why they took religion out of public schools, so we could have all the facts?

peapod
Is that why they took religion out of public schools, so we could have all the facts?

The last time I looked around there is a church on every street corner, last time I turned the television on it was pretty easy to find someone begging for money for the "supreme" one. Funny how he never has any cash. Your message is everywhere, so please do not use the equal coverage thing, you have more than your fair share.

In a "free" society there is more than enough room for all points of view. Why does it frighten you if people look and read all views. Are you saying we are all "sheep" and cannot come to our "own" conclusion.

Here is your big chance to shine Jay. Take marshall gauvins essay that fucci (I wonder if he wears gucci) posted ^^^^^^^there a few posts up. Put it up on the board here, and refute it point by point.
A word to the wise tho...I think fucci and a few others know your book a little better than you do. But please I am opened mined please show me where mr. marshall is wrong in what he presents.

So Jay I offically ask both you and tibear to put up Marshall Gauvins essay and refute it point by point. Hey than you post an essay on someone of your choice someone could refute it point by point. Now if you don't take this challenge....well that is going to tell us something nes pas?

tibear
Pea,

It reminds me of the day, I was in the office of the guidance teacher of my son's school. I had a problem with some of the morality that was being taught in the school(Imagine that!!)

Anyway, one of the statements taught in grade 5 was, "All adults have sex." IN addition to being completely false, I know many people who don't have sex, I had a problem with the implication that once a person reaches adulthood, they are to have sex.

I told the teacher that in our homes we taught our children that all "married" adults have sex. We were told that this was fine but that it wasn't the schools job to teach Christian morals to the children.

I then asked her what would happen when the True/False question of "Do all adults have sex?" comes up on the test and my child answers false. The teacher would mark as incorrect and thus teach my children against our families believes.

Does this sound like a fair system of education which respect the different beliefs of people???

peapod
tibear you did not answer my question. You might have a possible convert here. Please put up the Marshall essay and show me point by point where he is wrong. This is your chance to show me the error of my ways. Are you going to do it?

Reverend Blair
I'm guessing they won't, Peapod. That would require them to read it.

tibear, the teacher was right. All adults do have sex. At least the healthy ones. Abstinence is not just a sexual dysfunction, but a human one.

tibear
Which parts of the essay would you like me to debate??

tibear
RB,

So your telling me that any adult who abstanes from sex is mentally or physically diminished. Interesting perspective. Does that mean that an 18 year must go out on their birthday and hire a prostitute to ensure they are healthy?? How often must an adult have sex before you consider to them to be healthy??

In other threads, you've accused me of trying to impose my beliefs onto others. Yet here is an instance where others HAVE imposed their beliefs onto others and you see no problem with it. Don't you find that rather hypocritical???

You're OK with the imposition of beliefs, as long as their YOUR beliefs.

Reverend Blair
No, I mean that healthy adults have sex, Tibear. It might not be a regular occurrence, it might be three times a day.

tibear
As I posted earlier, so in "BlairLand", anyone who choses not to have sex is suffering from either a mental or physical ailment???

Interesting perspective. Doesn't make any sense, but interesting just the same. I don't think I ever heard of anyone dying from "Lack of sex".

Reverend Blair
Regardless of what you think, tibear, abstinence...purposely choosing not have sex on an ongoing basis...is a sexual dysfunction.

Should you be trying to rebut the Gauvin piece?

tibear
RB,

As stated earlier, what points would you like me to debate???

Reverend Blair
Why not the whole thing?

tibear
I take it from your answer your not willing to debate. That's OK.

Reverend Blair
Then you'd be taking it the wrong way.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

The last time I looked around there is a church on every street corner, last time I turned the television on it was pretty easy to find someone begging for money for the "supreme" one. Funny how he never has any cash. Your message is everywhere, so please do not use the equal coverage thing, you have more than your fair share.

Aye; and the last time I turned the TV on it was full of tits and *** Peapod, and not my "message". Also there were all these commercials begging me for my fat *** dirty dollar. There is no shortage of secular atheist commentary out there either, but you think it needs to be taught in schools? God has no cash? Well he seems to be doing allot better than the tits and *** peddlers out there, and for that matter, maybe cashless God should just do what the lefties do in Canada, have the Government pay for his wants and desires, like the CBC junkies do.

There is no one more needy in this society than that of a lefty. And these ppl are for real, and if you do not like their way of life too bad, youíre paying for it anyways. And if you say no, they put you in jail, all the while telling you they arenít forcing their beliefs on you, and they are only doing it for your own good.

Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

In a "free" society there is more than enough room for all points of view. Why does it frighten you if people look and read all views. Are you saying we are all "sheep" and cannot come to our "own" conclusion.

Yes it is a "free" society isn't it, anyways...

I don't know Peopdod, why does it frighten me, since you seem to have just drawn that little statement out of your magic rabbit hat, because I surely didn't say anything to that effect.

Nor did I even closely; not even by any stretch of the imagination, suggest you or your atheist friends were sheep and couldn't come to your own conclusions. But I will say you sure have a knack for putting words in people's mouths, and projecting images you have of me out there so you may make others believe your sad commentary.

I want to know where Peapod got all these idea's from, because it sure couldn't have been from my short single line post. And I mean I WANT TO KNOW.
So here is your big chance to shine Peapod.

Quote:

Here is your big chance to shine Jay. Take marshall gauvins essay that fucci (I wonder if he wears gucci) posted ^^^^^^^there a few posts up. Put it up on the board here, and refute it point by point.
A word to the wise tho...I think fucci and a few others know your book a little better than you do. But please I am opened mined please show me where mr. marshall is wrong in what he presents.

My big chance to shine eh? Well when I open the door to a big dark room and turn the light on and find 20 blind people standing there, did I really do any good? Perhaps for myself, but I highly doubt I did one beneficial thing for those who are blind standing in the so called dark. I cannot imagine for a moment you are going to see the light on anything I say peapod, so excuse me if I don't take lightly to your ordering me around.

So what if I do read this document Peapod, and I find I agree with some of these points, do I still have to refute the points anyway, for your amusement?

Maybe I'm a person who believes in free will, and choices, and not taking orders from atheists unless it brings me something valuable.
Is this going to bring me something valuable Peapod?

Quote:

A word to the wise tho...I think fucci and a few others know your book a little better than you do.

You can THINK all you want Peapod, but thatís all it is, is your thoughts. But I'm sure Vanni knows so much about the good book, and whenever I'm in need of spirituality or when I have major philosophical questions, or when I need help with my religious questions, I always turn to the know it all atheist, and now that I know Vanni is one, I will simply ask him.

Quote:

But please I am opened mined

Well I'm glad you said that cause I sure as hell would not have guessed that. All atheist ppl I know are open minded. Oh wait, no their not, their always telling me exactly how this world works and what to believe and what not too. That is until they discover that it isn't that way, but another, and then again another.

There is nothing more disgusting than hearing this BS about the "free thinking atheist", when I know they cannot for one moment bring themselves to think there might be a "God", and he might have an effect on my life.

Quote:

So Jay I offically ask both you and tibear to put up Marshall Gauvins essay and refute it point by point. Hey than you post an essay on someone of your choice someone could refute it point by point. Now if you don't take this challenge....well that is going to tell us something nes pas?

Well I'm sorry Peapod, officially I cannot accept your proposal, because I cannot agree to something I know nothing about. I will have to read the document, and then I will entertain your idea.

Quote:

Now if you don't take this challenge....well that is going to tell us something nes pas?

Yes peapod it will tell us something, it would tell us that Jay doesn't jump when Peapod commands, cause he's smarter than that.

Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

I'm guessing they won't, Peapod. That would require them to read it.

You do a lot of guessing around here. Let me do some, Iím guessing Reverend shouldnít allow every insult that comes in to his head, make its way down to his fingers and onto the keyboard for all to see.

Reverend Blair
Whatever, Jay.

This is about science and the need for reason though. If you want your kids to learn your mythology in school, then send them to a faith-based school. If you are expecting other people's kids to learn your mythology in public school, then you should expect to be told, "No."

Canada is not a Christian state. That may anger you, but your anger is not our problem. By all indications you want nothing to do with Canadian society anyway.