MONSANTO

peapod
Now this has made my day

EARTH-Jan 7, 2005. MONSANTO corporation, "inventors" of Genetically Modified (GM) strains of corn, cotton, canola, and soybeans faced criminal charges* this week for paying out $50,000 US, disguised as "consulting fees" to bribe an Indonesian official. The chemical corporation was trying to prevent the government from conducting an environmental impact assessment of it's GM cotton.

Monsanto corporation apparently confessed to the bribe and reported their crime to the US Justice Department and Securities and Exchange Commission.

For paying officials to look the other way instead of studying whether or not their products pollute our environment, the coporation will now pay $1 Million to the Justice Dept and $500,000 to the SEC (more bribes of a different sort, perhaps?).

Last year Monsanto raked $5.53 Billion US in sales, with a PROFIT of $2.57 Billion. (what's a little 1.5 mil bribe to cover a bribe, eh?)

"Monsanto also has admitted to paying bribes to a number of other high-ranking officials between 1997 and 2002."

Civil and Criminal investigations of Monsanto's business continue.

(*Since they claim to be "people," 3 strikes and the corporations should be out, right?)

Original article found at: news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4153635.stm (external - login to view)

Hey Rev wonder what our "buddy" professor has to say about this

peapod
Now this has made my day

EARTH-Jan 7, 2005. MONSANTO corporation, "inventors" of Genetically Modified (GM) strains of corn, cotton, canola, and soybeans faced criminal charges* this week for paying out $50,000 US, disguised as "consulting fees" to bribe an Indonesian official. The chemical corporation was trying to prevent the government from conducting an environmental impact assessment of it's GM cotton.

Monsanto corporation apparently confessed to the bribe and reported their crime to the US Justice Department and Securities and Exchange Commission.

For paying officials to look the other way instead of studying whether or not their products pollute our environment, the coporation will now pay $1 Million to the Justice Dept and $500,000 to the SEC (more bribes of a different sort, perhaps?).

Last year Monsanto raked $5.53 Billion US in sales, with a PROFIT of $2.57 Billion. (what's a little 1.5 mil bribe to cover a bribe, eh?)

"Monsanto also has admitted to paying bribes to a number of other high-ranking officials between 1997 and 2002."

(*Since they claim to be "people," 3 strikes and the corporations should be out, right?)

Original article found at: news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4153635.stm (external - login to view)

peapod
Now this has made my day

passpatoo

passpatoo

passpatoo

Twila
hmmmm, I wonder if the company that's suggesting GM salmon has this sort of secret in their closet too?

Twila
hmmmm, I wonder if the company that's suggesting GM salmon has this sort of secret in their closet too?

Twila

Reverend Blair
The professor (actually he's a teacher's aid) will claim that it was a plot by anti-GM agitators to reduce his personal expense account. He'll then write a paid advertisement...er...column...for the Globe and Mail blaming it all on Percy Schmeiser.

Reverend Blair
The professor (actually he's a teacher's aid) will claim that it was a plot by anti-GM agitators to reduce his personal expense account. He'll then write a paid advertisement...er...column...for the Globe and Mail blaming it all on Percy Schmeiser.

Reverend Blair

Stretch
"The individual is handicapped by coming face to face
with a conspiracy so monstrous
he cannot believe it exists."
- J. Edgar Hoover

The Great Con-ola
Canola oil has a number of undesirable health effects when used as the main source of dietary fats, although these side effects can be offset by the intake of saturated fats.
www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/canola.html (external - login to view)

The OILING of AMERICA
Part 1 of 2
Modern-day diets high in hydrogenated vegetable oils instead of traditional animal fats are implicated in causing a significant increase in heart disease and cancer.
www.nexusmagazine.com/article...america.1.html (external - login to view)
www.nexusmagazine.com/article...america.2.html (external - login to view)

THE MARGARINE HOAX
Margarine, Fatty Acids and Your Health
To maintain good health it is important that we have the correct intake of omega fatty acids in our diets.
Hydrogenated fats like margarine are non-foods with toxic effects and should be avoided at any cost.
www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/margarine.html (external - login to view)

Tragedy and Hype
The Third International Soy Symposium
Far from being the perfect food, modern soy products contain antinutrients and toxins and they interfer with the absorption of vitamins and minerals.
www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/soydangers.html (external - login to view)

Anyone notice any "connection" 'tween the above mentioned articles and MONSANTO?

Stretch
- J. Edgar Hoover

The Great Con-ola
Canola oil has a number of undesirable health effects when used as the main source of dietary fats, although these side effects can be offset by the intake of saturated fats.

The OILING of AMERICA
Part 1 of 2
Modern-day diets high in hydrogenated vegetable oils instead of traditional animal fats are implicated in causing a significant increase in heart disease and cancer.

THE MARGARINE HOAX
To maintain good health it is important that we have the correct intake of omega fatty acids in our diets.
Hydrogenated fats like margarine are non-foods with toxic effects and should be avoided at any cost.

Tragedy and Hype
Far from being the perfect food, modern soy products contain antinutrients and toxins and they interfer with the absorption of vitamins and minerals.

Anyone notice any "connection" 'tween the above mentioned articles and MONSANTO?

Stretch
- J. Edgar Hoover

The Great Con-ola

The OILING of AMERICA
Part 1 of 2

THE MARGARINE HOAX

Tragedy and Hype

Twila
If you visit the CFIA website or the FDA website you can learn an a fair amount about the foods you eat. You can learn from these sites just what level of toxins they allow into food. Scary

If you eat only kosher there's a website that lists all products that say they're kosher but in fact aren't.

Twila
If you visit the CFIA website or the FDA website you can learn an a fair amount about the foods you eat. You can learn from these sites just what level of toxins they allow into food. Scary

If you eat only kosher there's a website that lists all products that say they're kosher but in fact aren't.

Twila

Reverend Blair
Monsanto is a bad organisation, Stretch. Thanks for the links.

Reverend Blair

Reverend Blair

peapod
Twila check out this, its put out by greenpeace. You don't have to order it, most of it is online, you will find it really useful

www.greenpeace.ca/shoppersguide/ (external - login to view)

peapod
Twila check out this, its put out by greenpeace. You don't have to order it, most of it is online, you will find it really useful

peapod

Twila
Thanks Pea! I was extremely happy not to see my cats food listed as having gm ingredients. phew! just what I need gm cats!

happy to see Yves is on the committed to remove list. Had no idea abou President's choice though!

Twila
Thanks Pea! I was extremely happy not to see my cats food listed as having gm ingredients. phew! just what I need gm cats!

happy to see Yves is on the committed to remove list. Had no idea abou President's choice though!

Twila

NSA
Quote:

That's not quite how it works... I know you're partly joking but it's a common belief that eating GM foods could somehow result in "GM genes" entering the eater's body. If this were in fact the case, we would all be now expressing countless genes from every food organism we've ever eaten.

I'm a molecular biologist and am greatly distressed by a lot of the misinformation going around about GMOs and GM foods. I know a lot of these can be ascribed to poor communication of what are in fact quite complicated ideas, but many others are, I think, the result of some sort of misguided "vitalism" or belief that creating something artifically makes it inherently suspect.

That said, my major concern with how genetic modification has affected the food supply is economic - it results in a small group of patent-holders having incredible control over the growth of basic foodstuffs. Farmers need to make a living, and so if they choose Roundup Ready canola, it's likely because it makes them money in the long run. The downside of this (aside from increased RoundUp use) is that Monsanto now has IP rights over much of the crop, and can dictate the terms under which it is grown, and indirectly, the price. As we've seen, Monsanto and other large corporations can't be trusted to exercise their current IP rights responsibly - the Schmieisser case being a good example. And of course they're constantly lobbying government to extend IP holders' rights beyond what is reasonable to insure that innovation is profitable. Having that kind of ruthless monopolism impact the food supply is not desirable - and will certainly not lead to the feed-the-world bounty that the corporate GM proponents still tout.

NSA
Quote:

That's not quite how it works... I know you're partly joking but it's a common belief that eating GM foods could somehow result in "GM genes" entering the eater's body. If this were in fact the case, we would all be now expressing countless genes from every food organism we've ever eaten.

I'm a molecular biologist and am greatly distressed by a lot of the misinformation going around about GMOs and GM foods. I know a lot of these can be ascribed to poor communication of what are in fact quite complicated ideas, but many others are, I think, the result of some sort of misguided "vitalism" or belief that creating something artifically makes it inherently suspect.

That said, my major concern with how genetic modification has affected the food supply is economic - it results in a small group of patent-holders having incredible control over the growth of basic foodstuffs. Farmers need to make a living, and so if they choose Roundup Ready canola, it's likely because it makes them money in the long run. The downside of this (aside from increased RoundUp use) is that Monsanto now has IP rights over much of the crop, and can dictate the terms under which it is grown, and indirectly, the price. As we've seen, Monsanto and other large corporations can't be trusted to exercise their current IP rights responsibly - the Schmieisser case being a good example. And of course they're constantly lobbying government to extend IP holders' rights beyond what is reasonable to insure that innovation is profitable. Having that kind of ruthless monopolism impact the food supply is not desirable - and will certainly not lead to the feed-the-world bounty that the corporate GM proponents still tout.

NSA
Quote: