peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
This is from another fourm I visit

Another post on the study of personality. You might have noticed in yourself a tendency to estimate a user's personality based on his/her avatar. A user with a serious avatar is calculated to be a serious, objective person, while someone with a colorful avatar is expected to be just the opposite.
However, have you noticed in yourself a tendency to behave according to your avatar? Do you feel that you, based on your avatar, naturally create an expectation on your own behavior, the same way you do for others?
Do you ever, intentionally or unintentionally, pick a certain avatar precisely because you desire to behave in a certain way?
Do you feel that this applies offline as well with faces instead of avatars?

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
I chose my avatar because of my name, which was made up by JM Barrie for the girl character in Peter Pan. There wasn't a "Wendy" avatar, so I went with Tink.

It's also pretty, and I like pretty things.
;)

I've also used a "Wendy the Good Little Witch" avatar, a Norwegian Flag and an eagle (I hail from The Winter Home of the Bald Eagle")

I tend to choose an avatar to reflect who I am, rather than something to aspire to.

Not that I resemble Tinkerbell in the least - she's rather vain.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: avatars and personali

My avatar is Uncle Duke from Doonesbury. He's based on Hunter S Thompson, something Thompson despises. In a lot of ways Duke is more like Thompson (or at least his public persona) than Thompson is though.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
My latest avatars are just another way for me to enjoy my collection of shoes ... all the pics are of shoes I own. I figure I don't get out much and not many of the styles go well with fuzzy orange sweat pants and a ball cap, so what better way to enjoy my obsession than to post pics of them here?! Of course I try to post the more interesting shoes ... I skip the regular running shoes and the plain jane every day slip ons, but I have enough pretty pairs to keep myself entertained here for a while.

My dream is to own a pair of fuzzy claw slippers that make monster noises like the ones Rev has (had?). Ain't no commandment that says "Thou shalt not covet thy forum neighbour's shoes"! :p

I enjoy the avatars. I do believe it gives me a sense of the person behind them, whether we mean it to or not.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I think it looks cool, HeatSink. Mine is of one of my favourite artists so it's just something I like. Free advertisement for Falco :)

Usually it's my Sandmännchen, who you will see again as my avatar in the next few weeks. He isn't someone I look upto, I just like him because he's cute and mysterious!

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
HeatSink...
Your avatar reminds me of those drawing boards we used to have. It consisted of a multi-coloured board covered in a black tar-like substance. Anyone else remember those?

(Let's see who else is the same age as I am....)
;)

Re: RE: avatars and personality

Andem said:
I think it looks cool, HeatSink. Mine is of one of my favourite artists so it's just something I like. Free advertisement for Falco :)

Usually it's my Sandmännchen, who you will see again as my avatar in the next few weeks. He isn't someone I look upto, I just like him because he's cute and mysterious!

Sweet...thanks!

Re: RE: avatars and personality

LadyC said:
I wouldn't even know what to search for in Google...
But trust me... it looks just like your avatar.

OK, I'll take your word for it. I can't remember the name of the filter I applied to the pic, but it does have a name something like 'black and coloured lines' or something. Maybe it's a homage to what you're talking about :)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: avatars and personali

I think I know what Lady C is talking about, but I can't remember what it's called either.

Of course we'd moved up to Etch a Sketch by the time I had toys. Then again, by the time my toys had gone through my two older brothers they didn't work anyway...my Etch a Sketch could only draw horizontal lines. ;-)