Merry Christmas! Or not....

Haggis McBagpipe
Almost time to buy the Christmas cards... but wait, do you still send them out? If not, what made you stop?

Do you buy cards that say 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Holidays or does it matter in the least? If you choose 'Happy Holidays' (or whatever) is it because you feel it is insensitive to non-Christians to say 'Merry Christmas' or because you, yourself, are ardently non-or-anti-Christian?

LadyC
I haven't sent Christmas cards in years, for no other reason than that I'm lazy. When I buy them though (I have lots in my cupboards, as I have the best of intentions every year) I make sure they say "Merry Christmas". Ideally there will be a nice nativity scene on them as well. I figure it's a religious holiday for me, and I wouldn't be offended if I received a Hanukkah or Kwanzaa card.

When it comes to religious beliefs (or non-beliefs), we shouldn't worry so much about being offensive (or offended), and just work on being more accepting of different faiths.

Haggis McBagpipe
I am so much like that, when my daughter was very young, the cards would yellow from having sat in the cupboard for too many years. Now, though, she gets them. She is savvy, she hasn't bought cards in years, for she knows I will be her inadvertent supplier.

I agree that it would be nicest just to see more acceptance of different faiths, as well as more acceptance for those who have no religious beliefs. It's all okay, yet we seem to live in a society that is determined to find the offensive factor of virtually everything.

LadyC
The way I see it, I'm not offended when I receive a "Happy Holidays" card, so no-one else should be offended by my "Merry Christmas" wishes. If they are, they're off my list.

Or... they would be if I had one.

Diamond Sun
I still send Christmas cards, but only to my immediate family and close friends. Oh, and I'm a sucker for being in the Christmas spirit at work and I always show up with Shortbread cookies and Christmas cards for ALL my coworkers.

I love Christmas!

Send me a Happy Holiday, Happy Hanukah, Merry Christmas, Merry X-mas, Merry Santa Days, I don't care...just smile and be jolly!

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Diamond Sun

I always show up with Shortbread cookies and Christmas cards for ALL my coworkers.

You probably aren't aware of me, I am a co-worker who kind of works behind the scenes. You can mail my shortbread to me. 8-)