life lessons

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
What lesson have you learnt in life? The idea is to simply to share something you have learnt in life no matter what age or background. Here is one that is at the top of my list.

If you can't figure out why a situation is what it is, you only have to have to know the answer is MONEY and can probably trace it back to money.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I have learned that making a deliberate choice (not from necessity but rather from curiosity) to rid oneself of the love of material possessions will set a person free in many surprising and delightful ways.

I have learned that the so-called 'sweet' people of the world really are just like the rest of us. They just have a different facade that they present to the world, one that often puts an enormous strain on them to maintain.

I have learned that street lights have special sensors that can detect vehicles containing drivers who are running late.

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
I will quote one of my brothers:
"Everyone is somebody's weirdo"

Haggis - glad you solved the traffic light riddle for me! Now can you tell me why the the street light post across the street from our house always goes out when we are out for a walk and go under it?!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: life lessons

bogie said:
Haggis - glad you solved the traffic light riddle for me! Now can you tell me why the the street light post across the street from our house always goes out when we are out for a walk and go under it?!

Well, sure. You see, those lights are light-sensitive so that when daylight comes they will automatically switch off. The purity of your soul casts such a shining bright light that the sensors are tricked into thinking it is daylight. :cool: Same thing happens to me, too, by the way, and mine is the only logical explanation. We saints simply have this burden that we must bear.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Those are very good! Here is one that I like to remember, but I do not include galaniomama in this group :lol:

No birth certificate is issued when a friendship is born. There is nothing tangible. There is just a feeling that your life is different and that your capacity to love and care has miraculously been enlarged without any effort on your part. It’s like having a tiny apartment and somebody moves in with you, but instead of becoming cramped and crowded, the space expands, and you discover rooms you never knew you had until your friend moved in with you. --

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
Nice answer, Haggis. Too bad you also said...
I have learned that the so-called 'sweet' people of the world really are just like the rest of us. They just have a different facade that they present to the world, one that often puts an enormous strain on them to maintain.
:D

I learned never to put something in writing I might regret later. Wise words from my Granddad.
:wink:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
LadyC said:
Nice answer, Haggis. Too bad you also said...

I learned never to put something in writing I might regret later. Wise words from my Granddad.

Hmm, I think I am being too obtuse here, clearly I have missed something! Have I written something that I might regret later? It certainly would not be the first time, but what is the particular significance of my aforementioned comment? Am I now to expect something along the lines of The Revenge of the Sweet People? :cool: :cool:

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Bogie, I love that "Everyone is someone's weirdo", that's great! I think i'll put that on my office tackboard right now!

As for me, what have I learned?

Make believe is, by far, the best toy out there.

Brothers make great friends.

Just because you've never met someone face to face, doens't mean that they can't be very special to you. (Ah, the era of the internet)

Sorry, not funny, just sweet, but not sweet in the way that I'm a sweet person that goes home exhausted.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: life lessons

Diamond Sun said:
Just because you've never met someone face to face, doens't mean that they can't be very special to you. (Ah, the era of the internet)

Sorry, not funny, just sweet, but not sweet in the way that I'm a sweet person that goes home exhausted.
\

I feel the same way, DS. I have come to know a certain person who means a good deal to me despite the fact that I have not actually met her. It is a special kind of relationship, one that is not lessened in any way by the lack of a face-to-face meeting... we have bantered ideas back and forth, laughed together, bitched up a storm together, talked about everything and anything, commiserated frequently about the Agony of Bush, you name it, we have probably discussed it... I consider this person to be a good and true friend.

As for the sweet reference... heh, I am never going to live that one down, am I! :cool:

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Commiserated eh? I might have to look that word up....

The internet is a great place to find and make friends. I know my brother found his special person online. My mom's good friend found her fiance online. It's very cool. Very cool.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
Arghhhh!!!! 8O
I did it again... insulted someone without meaning to!
:oops:

No Haggis, you didn't write something you'll regret later, not that I've noticed at least. What I meant was... what you said about the street lights, and the purity of bogie's (and your) soul... sounded like you were saying he's sweet... in a way... but you also said sweet people are just putting up a facade...

Man, I think I'm digging myself in deeper!

The comment about putting stuff in writing was just my addition to this thread, about life's lessons.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
LadyC said:
Arghhhh!!!! 8O
I did it again... insulted someone without meaning to!
:oops:

No Haggis, you didn't write something you'll regret later, not that I've noticed at least. What I meant was... what you said about the street lights, and the purity of bogie's (and your) soul... sounded like you were saying he's sweet... in a way... but you also said sweet people are just putting up a facade...

Man, I think I'm digging myself in deeper!

The comment about putting stuff in writing was just my addition to this thread, about life's lessons.

No Lady C, you didn't insult me at all. I was just trying to figure out what you meant, that's all.

I don't think sweet people put up a facade any more than the rest of us. We all of us put up a 'public' facade to some degree.

I didn't mean to suggest that sweet people are not genuinely sweet, either. What I meant was, sweet people feel the same anger, frustration, etc., as the rest of us... they just approach such emotions differently, they maintain a proper decorum, if you will, in the face of such frustrations.

What I have found is, a person who presents a gentle demeanor as part of his/her particular public face might one day lash out in anger... and other people, people who know that person only as a 'real sweetheart' will be shocked, truly shocked.

Think about it, if you know someone who is very sweet and kind all the time, imagine if that person suddenly got nasty about something. You would probably react far worse to such an outburst from that person than you would from a known hothead who always has outbursts. This can make it hard on the sweet person, for they find they have to maintain that one-dimensional front in order to keep people feeling comfortable.

I guess what I am saying (and with far too many words, I might add) is that sweet people often become victims of their own desire to be nice. Again, virtually all of us have a public facade, but the ones who are saints have it harder to keep that facade in place.

Yikes, and one more thing, I would love to have a world where everybody maintained that sweet and pleasant public facade. It would be a return to civilization as we once knew it.

Phew, now I am tired, all that work, all those words. :cool:

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
Haggis said:
Think about it, if you know someone who is very sweet and kind all the time, imagine if that person suddenly got nasty about something. You would probably react far worse to such an outburst from that person than you would from a known hothead who always has outbursts. This can make it hard on the sweet person, for they find they have to maintain that one-dimensional front in order to keep people feeling comfortable.
I haven't got nasty yet. If ever I do, I'll let you know how the others react...

Seriously, though, I understand what you mean, but I disagree somewhat. When a sweet person "blows" the usual reaction is shock 8O and I think they get their point across far more effectively than the hothead who always has outbursts. They're looked at with rolled eyes :roll: same old same old.

I learned at a young age that if you always tell the truth you can get away with the occasional lie. That's come in handy a few times for me.

Hey! That's another life lesson!

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
What was the question again?

Oh yeah, life lessons. Always, always wear clean underwear. If you are going to wear underwear (or is it underware??) at all. :wink:

Good friends are always there for you. It doesn't matter if you don't see them for months at a time, a good friend will just start the conversation and continue it. Like time has stood still, and you just carry on. I love that with friends and fiends too.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
or is it underware??)

That type of underwear is the full armour type.

The 'built for heavy duty' type of under garments. Yeah, undergarments, much better word. no.....UNDERPANTS.

Remember underpants???? I think my mom still calls them that. and I am pretty sure my brother does too. sad in a way. What happened to that word? I think we left it behind in grade 4.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
galianomama said:
Remember underpants????

Yeah, the 'by-god' variety. They were, by-god, what they were and they weren't taking any nonsense about it. I miss them, because by-god they sure didn't ride up. They were far too serious for that sort of nonsense.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
They were far too serious for that sort of nonsense.

yes, well my mother still wears them! called bloomers. it took 6 months to find the damn things. i was almost convinced to make her some, because of course, nothing else would do.

oh hag, i could have had so much fun with that :twisted: i had picked out some great printed material (mother will only wear plain, white, down to the mid-knee variety). it was quite delicious what my sister and i had planned. unfortunately, we finally found some in sears. sigh. too bad i say.

needless to say, my mother is a very 'sensible' person. sensible shoes, clothing and of course, underpants. i have a lot of fun with her. drives her mad, but she secretly loves it. 8)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
galianomama said:
yes, well my mother still wears them! called bloomers.

The sexy version used to be called 'step-ins', they were still full-sized but instead of serious cotton they were lacy and silky and very, very whimsical. This was before my time, I think it was back around the 20s or so, but I have a series of hilarious books written by Thorne Smith that go into some detail about step-ins.

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
Two major lessons I've learned so far:

1 - The truth does set you free

2 - Never say never

It may sound like a cliché or too simple, but I'm reminded of these lessons every single day.