rumors, myth and urban legends true or false

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
The rev touched a good topic with his distrubing reference to led zeppelin and fish 8O

Here is one I heard, is it true I don"t know? I think Jim would have had to been straight to do this, and I don't think he ever was straight.

In the late nineteen sixties, Doors' singer Jim Morrison
founded a publishing company named Zeppelin Publishing Company
with the help of the legal department of Warner Brothers Pictures
and Atlantic Records. According to promotions for Zeppelin, "Jim
wanted to get his hands on the trademark 'Zeppelin' before Led
Zeppelin did. He did this while everyone in America knew who the
Doors were, but before the other rock group was well known..."
Zeppelin Publishing Company was chartered and put into
hibernation for later resurrection.

How about some more, anybody got any? sure we know your gonna surf the net to get some, but its who comes up with the best one :lol:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Great thread!

Okay, look at the way these 20$ bills of USA are folded:

The pentagon in flames

Now the same fold on the flipside:

WTC in flames

And now this one, it's really funny. A USA 20$ bill folded like 100 times:

These people just have too much time on their hands. Sure the WTC and Pentagon oragami look somewhat like the real things, but only from certain angles and only if you have an imagination.

WTC & Pentagon on 20$ and Osama on 20$: FALSE!

But wait a minute.. take a look at http://www.glennbeck.com/news/05172002.shtml and decide for yourself!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
That is a little spooky andem. Here is one I have seen on the net a few times.

BRAIN FIGHT!

Tokyo, Japan:

Kashima University has expelled four medical students for pelting
other students with human brains.

School officials say the three men and one woman were dissecting
cadavers in the science laboratory when one of the males removed part
of a cerebral cortex from a corpse's skull and threw it at one of the
other medical students.

Within minutes a "brain fight" had broken out.

The students then reportedly opened the windows of the second-floor
lab and began throwing the brains down on unwitting passersby on the
street below. One girl was hit in the face and required treatment at
the university's emergency room.

School security officers say they're fairly certain that more people
were involved in the brain-throwing but only four were witnessed.

The expelled students said they didn't plan the brain fight. One of
them said, "It just sort of happened." He blamed the odd behavior on
the pressure of constant study and lack of sleep.

"We just had to let off some steam," admitted Akayo Hanyu, 19. "I
guess things got a little out of hand." But Dean Shiuro Tatsuno
refuses to budge on his decision to expel the students. "We realize
that our medical students are under pressure," said Dean Tatsuno.

"But we expect our future doctors and nurses to conduct themselves
like ladies and gentlemen at all times."

undergradNITZ

Electoral Member
Aug 6, 2004
Toronto
i tested out all the money folding ones and they all work....in case ur wondering how i got american money is that my family went down to see my uncle...and thats also where i got the 500 cherrybombs...and i kept 1 of every type bill....even the $1 that sorta scares me...

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Red, White, and Jew

Claim: Coca-Cola was once considered anti-Semitic for refusing to do business in Israel.

Origins: The
last thirty-odd years have seen allegations of anti-Semitism hurled at both Coca-Cola and Pepsi, and for both companies the charges stemmed from their one-time reluctance to do business with Israel.

Successfully doing business in the Middle East often depended upon not doing business in Israel. The Arab League was quick to boycott, and multinational concerns were forced to choose between the smaller market of Israel and the much larger market of the combined Arab states. For firms caught in the middle, it was a "no win" situation.

Coca-Cola's turn in the harsh spotlight of public opinion came in 1966.

April 1 1966: At a press conference in Tel Aviv, businessman Moshe Bornstein accused Coca-Cola of refusing to do business in Israel out of fear of reprisals and loss of profits in the Arab soft drink market. A week later in New York, the Anti-Defamation League of the B'nai B'rith released a statement backing up the charges, triggering headlines across the U.S.A. Coca-Cola was in hot water, and the American public was demanding answers. It was also rejecting the answers it was getting.

In 1949 Coca-Cola had attempted to open a bottling plant in Israel, but its efforts had been blocked by the Israeli government. As long as no one questioned the company too closely, the failure of this one stab at the Israeli market appeared to provide a satisfactory answer for Coca-Cola's conspicuous absence from the Israeli market. In the meanwhile, Coca-Cola was content to continue quietly serving the much larger Arab market, a market it was likely to lose if it began operating in Israel.

In 1961 an incident in Cairo involving civil servant Mohammad Abu Shadi momentarily shattered the quiet. Shadi had come into possession of a Coca-Cola bottle manufactured in Ethiopia, mistaken the Amharic lettering on its label for Hebrew, and publicly accused Coca-Cola of doing business with Israel.

The manager of Coca-Cola's Egyptian bottling operations wasted no time (and little thought) in assuring the press that Coca-Cola would never allow the Israelis a franchise. With their hands forced by their bottler's impolitic statement, company officials quickly invented the explanation that Israel was too small to support a franchise and gave their reasons for staying away as purely economic, not political. For the time being, this seemed to keep a lid on the brewing storm.

It wasn't until 1966 that people began to wonder openly why it was that nearby Cyprus had no difficulty supporting its Coca-Cola franchise despite their having only one-tenth the population of Israel. The comfortable aura of quiet was shattered by Bornstein's charges and the subsequent uproar they raised in the U.S.A.

When these issues came to light in 1966, they proved highly embarrassing to Coca-Cola. The administrators of Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan announced they would stop serving Coke, and the owners of Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Emporium on Coney Island followed suit. Faced with the prospect of a Jewish boycott in America, the company attempted to right the tipped canoe by announcing it would open a bottling plant in Tel Aviv. (Such is the price of business: Israel with the fury of America behind it became a much more attractive market than it ever had been all on its own.) The Arab League struck back by placing Coca-Cola on its boycott list. The boycott began in August 1968 and lasted until May 1991 (or until 1979 in Egypt, where they made their own rules).

Pepsi's entry into Israel in 1992 did not go smoothly — the evolution theme of its "Choice of a New Generation" ad campaign (in which man was portrayed as evolving from a monkey into a Pepsi drinker) angered the strictly observant haredi community. Though Pepsi pulled the campaign from Israel, it found itself in more hot water over a 1993 Michael Jackson tour. Jackson's unthinking flashbulb-popping arrival on a Sabbath was viewed by many observant Jews as a desecration. For a time Pepsi lost its kashrut (kosher) certificate because it was deemed to be promoting a culture that would corrupt the nation's youth through rock music concerts and advertisements featuring scantily-clad women.

Prior to 1992, Pepsi had backed the other horse, choosing to service the lucrative Coke-less Arab markets in the boycott days. For its decision to stay out of Israel (and thus itself avoid being placed on the Arab League's blacklist), Pepsi faced continued criticism in the United States. In certain circles it was considered politically incorrect to be seen drinking Pepsi.

The Anti-Defamation League of the B'nai B'rith investigated claims that Pepsi was participating in the boycott of Israel. U.S. law prohibited American companies from taking part in this boycott, but the law was vague, and outright violations were hard to pin down. Nothing ever came of the investigations, and Pepsi was never placed on the American government's list of violators.

Pepsi always denied it was the fear of losing their Arab markets that kept them out of Israel. Like Coca-Cola in 1961, Pepsi fell back upon the claim of Israel's being too small to support a franchise. At least this time the excuse was a bit more believable -- Coca-Cola's already holding down the lion's share of the Israeli soft drink market gave this claim a bit more plausibility. Even so, Pepsi was doing business in many other small markets and much more often than not competing head-to-head against Coca-Cola. If these conditions were keeping them out of Israel, then why weren't they equally keeping them out of these other markets?

Many people in the United States believed Pepsi was going along with the boycott, whether it was proveable in the eyes of U.S. law or not. Those lucrative Arab markets did not come without a price, and Pepsi paid it in loss of goodwill in the U.S. A significant number of American cola drinkers grew up suspecting Pepsi of being anti-Israel and refrained from buying their product. By contrast, Coca-Cola appeared heroic.

This appearance failed to take into account Coca-Cola's fast stepping to shake off similar charges in the 1960s. Pepsi's mud-spattered skirts were but Coca-Cola's hand-me-downs — same skirt, just a bit older.

Today you can get either Coke or Pepsi in anywhere in the Middle East, and the days of the boycott have faded into memory. Even so, there are still those who observe the stricture of "Coke is for Jews; Pepsi is for Arabs." Old wounds are not necessarily healed wounds.

Barbara "Pepsi challenge" Mikkelson

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Stop it!!!! you are to funny!!! this is just like candid camera, you know the one where kids say the darnest things...OK how is this one...

Claim: Only two Coca-Cola executives know Coke's formula, and each of them knows only half of it.

Origins: For
three quarters of a century, rumors about the measures the Coca-Cola Company has employed to keep the formula of its flagship product a secret have been used to enhance consumer perception of Coca-Cola's specialness. The company has courted the media on this issue, establishing through repetition the belief that anything so closely guarded must be special indeed.

Well, lollipops to that notion. What's special here isn't the formula; it's how the hulaballoo raised over it has been turned into yet another way to enhance the product's cachet.

Coca-Cola does have a rule about only two executives' being privy to the formula, but each of those men knows how to formulate the syrup independent of the other, not just half of an ingredients list. Perhaps this particular rumor about two executives, each knowing only part of the secret and thus incapable of concocting a batch of syrup on his own, results from confusion with the business practices of another Southern company famous for guarding its secrets, Kentucky Fried Chicken. (KFC's security measures include its secret blend of 11 herbs and spices being mixed at two different locations and combined at a third location.)

Coca-Cola's two executives rule to the contrary, the whole notion is simply part of a media circus — other than for the publicity value, there's no need to go to any lengths to keep the Coke recipe secret. Anyone who could reproduce the drink couldn't market the product as Coca-Cola, and without that brand name the beverage would be close to worthless. As the New Coke fiasco proved, the public's devotion to Coca-Cola has little to do with how it tastes.

Moreover, at least one of the ingredients called for in the recipe would be next to impossible to secure in the U.S. (or to bring into the country): decocainized flavor essence of the coca leaf. As it now stands, only Stepan Co.'s New Jersey plant possesses the necessary DEA permit to import the leaves and remove the cocaine from them. Anyone looking to reproduce the drink would have to go to Stepan to get one of the key ingredients, and Stepan would refuse to sell to them.

Okay, so keeping a tight lid on the recipe isn't so vitally important. Where, then, did all this tap dancing about a secret formula come from?

Ernest Woodruff (he who was Coca-Cola from 1916 through about 1931) reveled in the secrecy of the formula, knowing that making a big to-do about it would convince the media — and thus the general public — that they were getting something really special when they bought a Coke. In 1925, the only written copy of its formula Coca-Cola admits to having was retrieved from a New York bank (where it had been held as collateral on a sugar loan) and reverently laid in safe deposit box in Woodruff's Atlanta bank, the Trust Company of Georgia (which later merged with Sun Bank of Florida, creating SunTrust Bank).

But that was only the first step. That same year the company set a policy whereby no one could view the formula without written permission from the Board, and then only in the presence of the President, Chairman, or Corporate Secretary. Furthermore, the rule dictated that only two company officials would be allowed to know the recipe at any given time, and their identities were never to be disclosed for any reason. In keeping with the spirit of things, company policy was amended once air travel became the norm to preclude those two officers from ever flying on the same plane.

'Twas all smoke and mirrors, though — even as Woodruff's people were communicating these security measures to the media, the company employed at least four men who were known to be capable of producing Coke syrup in their sleep and a handful of others who were strongly rumored to have this knowledge.

These days the Coca-Cola Company is quite close-mouthed about who knows how to make the syrup that makes the world go around. It is reasonable to assume, however, that no matter what the publicly stated policy is, realities on the manufacturing floor regarding syrup production haven't changed from the Woodruff days, with a number of people in syrup production knowing the formula by heart. Official policy, after all, is for the media — it's not meant for everyday use.

Throughout the years, a number of handwritten formulas have surfaced and have been presented to Coca-Cola. The company routinely waves them off as "not authentic," and that usually ends the matter. After all, no one can authenticate his tattered copy of the recipe for the Holy Grail of soft drinks unless Coca-Cola shows theirs, and Coca-Cola never does.

Even so, that Holy Grail may already be in the public's hands. In 1993, Mark Pendergrast published what he believed to be Coke's original formula in For God, Country and Coca-Cola. He'd come across the following among John Pemberton's papers:

Citrate Caffein, 1 oz.
Ext. Vanilla, 1 oz.
Flavoring, 2.5 oz.
F.E. Coco, 4 oz.
Citric Acid, 3 oz.
Lime Juice, 1 Qt.
Sugar, 30 lbs.
Water, 2.5 Gal.
Caramel sufficient
Mix Caffeine Acid and Lime Juice in 1 Qt Boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool.

Flavoring
Oil Orange, 80
Oil Lemon, 120
Oil Nutmeg, 40
Oil Cinnamon, 40
Oil Coriander, 40
Oil Neroli, 40
Alcohol, 1 Qt.
let stand 24 hours.

('F.E. Coco' stands for fluid extract of coca. And yes, at one time Coca-Cola did contain cocaine. The cola part of the product's name comes from the kola nut, an ingredient that appears on the above list as 'Citrate Caffein.')

The Coca-Cola Company was quick to label Pendergast's published find as "not accurate" and "the latest in a long line of previous, unsuccessful attempts to reveal a 107-year-old mystery." Mind you, given how much Coca-Cola has invested in proclaiming its formula to be a carefully-guarded secret, it is never expected to react in any other fashion even if it is someday handed the real formula.

In a disingenuous way, even if the Pendergrast version were the original, Coca-Cola would still be right about the "not accurate" part. Changes were made to the recipe between the time Pemberton marketed it in 1886 and Woodruff in the 1920s made it company canon that the formula would hereafter not be tinkered with: glycerin was added as a preservative, cocaine was eliminated, caffeine was greatly reduced, and citric acid was replaced with phosphoric acid, to name the changes we know about. Therefore, even if the Pendergrast version were dead on, it still would not be the formulation currently in use, because important changes were later made to it. (Visit our Knew Coke page to find out about what happened to the company the one time it broke Woodruff's "no tinkering" rule by reformulating the product as New Coke.)

Is the Pendergrast version The Real Thing? Chances are it is (or perhaps, more accurately, it was — remember what we said about changes made to the formula decades later). It certainly fits with what lab analysis has for years been telling Coke-hunters had to be in the formula, and with what Coca-Cola outsiders who claim to have seen or been told about the formula now remember of it.

A bit of a stir was created in 1996 during the divorce proceedings of Frank and Patti Robinson. Mrs. Robinson laid claim to several sheets of Mr. Robinson's great-grandfather's handwriting, notes which might well have been a record of Pemberton's earliest attempts to come up with Coca-Cola. These papers had been passed down through the Robinson family for generations. In 1997 these jotted notes were awarded to the husband, but the matter of who owns them is still very much in contention, as the matter is currently under appeal.

This great-grandfather who did the scribbling was Frank Mason Robinson, who was a partner of pharmacist John Pemberton. Robinson named the drink in 1886 and wrote the famous label in flowing script.

Barbara "extract(ing) information" Mikkelson

Aviallani

Electoral Member
Aug 26, 2004
Calgary, NW
OMG this thread rocks!! I love Urban legends, I haunt the snopes page all the time! hehe I'll dig up some of my favorites a little later. Gotta clean the house first before my daughter gets home :)

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Aviallani, can't wait to see your stuff!! I gotta find something suitable that would empress undergrandnitz. You gotta clean house, I gotta tend my poor deglected garden for awhile. Catch you all later....

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Ok break time......I called my nephew undergrandnitz to try and find an urban legend that would impress you, but he is not at home. Maybe you heard of this website? its kind of long, but easy to read, no big words and its kinda interesting, as far as human beings go.

Dear Guide:

My husband heard about this Website that claims to sell human beef for the connoisseur. I insist this HAS to be a hoax!

The site is extremely well thought out; they even say that they ship all beef with an extra postage-paid box "folded up" inside the package, for the customer to return bones, which are illegal to dump. They list recipes, they have price lists, they sell gourmet cooking accessories such as Wusthof Knives, All-Clad cookware and the like. They have an extensive wine list, as well as numerous other gourmet delicacies, such as La maison du Chocolat truffles, expensive olive oils and balsamic vinegars.

I don't believe the sale of human meat is legal anywhere in the world, yet they list testimonials and describe their state-of-the-art processing plant. PLEASE check it out and tell me it's a hoax.

Dear Reader:

Have no fear. It is a hoax.

ManBeef.com [snapshot of defunct site courtesy of the Internet Archive], the home page of "ManBeef International Meats, was created in January 2001. As you noted, the site purports to sell "high quality human meat" products. But, like the equally despised and controversial Bonsai Kitten Website which pretends to advocate cruelty to animals, ManBeef.com is nothing but an elaborate prank calculated to push people's emotional buttons. What could inspire more outrage than a business proudly catering to cannibals?

The site's deceptively professional veneer has left many a visitor teetering on the brink of credulity, but the simple fact is that selling "human meat" is illegal on two grounds:

It's forbidden in the U.S. (and indeed in most parts of the world) to sell human body parts for any reason.

All meat products sold in the U.S. must be inspected and graded by either the USDA or the FDA. According to a government spokesman, there is no approved use of human meat in the United States.
"Joseph Christopherson," the pseudonymous, self-styled "CEO" of ManBeef, has admitted in print that it's all a hoax, though he has yet to reveal his true identity, citing "security reasons."

What was his motivation for creating the site? "As society slowly becomes more and more jaded, it takes more to get a rise out of people," Christopherson told The Columbian (Vancouver, WA) in mid-July. "The subject of human meat was chosen because of its ability to churn the viewer's stomach and help outrage the more 'sensitive' viewers. This includes Bible thumpers."

Christopherson promises he will reveal all on the Website very soon, including the origin and history of the hoax and a sampling of the hate mail he has received.

An investigation by the FDA is reportedly underway.

Take the Poll: "Should prank Websites like ManBeef.com be required to post disclaimers stating that the material isn't real?"

Sources and further reading:

"ManBeef.com Creator Says It's a Hoax." The Columbian, 14 July 2001.
National Organ Transplant Act 1984. Library of Congress.
"OK, We'll Bite: Is Cannibalism Pitch for Real?." San Diego Union-Tribune, 14 April 2001.
"Paging Dr. Lecter: Your Dot.com Is Here" Los Angeles Times, 18 April 2001.
"Website Gives New Meaning to 'Rump Roast'." The Columbian, 25 May 2001.
"Website Offers 'High Quality' Human Meat." Associated Press, 19 June 2001

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
The Cookie Recipe That Cost a Bundle-Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
The email describes the story of a person who was eating at a famous restaurant, department store, or hotel and liked the cookie that was served for dessert so well that she asked for the recipe. Later, when going through the credit card statement, the diner discovers that the restaurant charged an enormous amount of money for the supposedly "secret" recipe. So, in revenge, she decides to send the recipe to everybody she knows so it won't be so secret anymore.

The Truth:
This is one of the classic urban legends. It has circulated for decades and various versions have named different restaurants and hotels, although one of the most common versions says it happened at Neiman-Marcus.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Alright Teddy, I am calling you teddy now, because you remind me of one of those three boys in that movie stand by me :lol: This my last one for you, try going outside for awhile, get out of the house...I gota go its Sunday night stargazing at the observatory here. They have a awesome 1.8 metre plaskett telescope there! plus members of the royal astronomical society come there and let you peek through their telescopes at celestial objects. Its alot more interesting than dead racoons on train tracks.. plus its a very good view up there.Try it out Teddy....ok instead of cut and paste you can read it at the link...I hope its not to long for ya.....

http://members.aol.com/gnomeweb/