What book are you reading now?

moghrabi
I am reading LONGTITUDE and ATTITUDE by Thomas Friedman of the New York Times. Excellent book for those who want to understand American policy.

Diamond Sun
I'm reading nothing that exciting or in depth. Actually, I'm reading two, or maybe is it three, books.

Orxy and Crake by Margaret Atwood, Quentins by Maeve Binchy and some god awful horror mystery that I keep picking up for some reason, but it's just not getting better.

Haggis McBagpipe
Moghrabi, is your avatar a picture of you? It is supposed to be posted in the albums thread!

Thanks for the heads-up on this book, I'll see if I can find it.

Diamond Sun
Haggis, I thought you were going to bed!! You just might have important emailing, or posting, or something to do tomorrow!

I'm sure somebody will need to be nagged about getting photos up!

moghrabi
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

Moghrabi, is your avatar a picture of you? It is supposed to be posted in the albums thread!

Thanks for the heads-up on this book, I'll see if I can find it.

What is albums thread? And do you like my pic?

LuShes
I am currently reading "The Unburied" by Charles Palison (cant relally remember his last name)

What a terrible book so far.. lol

Haggis McBagpipe
I AM going to bed, but you &*^&#*@^$#@ people won't stop posting long enough for me to make my escape! And yes, serious lectures will be in order tomorrow. Hey. In the world of nagging, I am on a roll.

Moghrabi, yes, I like that picture, is it you? The albums thread is Forum Albums, it is RIGHT THERE, and it wants a picture of you.

Good night! Again!

moghrabi
Good night and read before going to bed.

Lisa
Hi! I am reading The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston. Nice book, so far. Not so long for a change.

Ow and AV and others, I was suppose to start a book review threat, but I am currently very busy with my vacation job, so sorry. When I can find the time I will make a review.

The first will be about Orlando by Virginia Woolf.

American Voice
Enjoy your summer job, Lisa. Relax, we're all pretty mellow here. Besides, if you put up a review, then I am obliged to report one. Right now, as I'm not currently reading anything, I'd have to fake one. Don't sweat it. When you get back to school, why you'll have plenty of time to lounge around, reading books for pleasure, eating sandwiches, go to bar and shoot some pool.

researchok
Im reading "The Mighty Endeavor-- THe American War in Europe", by Charles Macdonald

GREAT book.

vista
I am into Full Spectrum Disorder: The Military in the New American Century.

Stan Goff is a former Special Ops soldier - some fascinating little stories and insight.

I have just finished reading a few Oil Depletion, 9/11 books and at times these can get... well...

I need something to take me away for a few moments.

I have partly read Uther by Jack Whyte but I keep comparing it (and I shouldn't) to Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy +1 and it just doesn't grab my interest. No medieval novels compare to these. My all-time favourite read.

BUT, last night we watched The Bourne Identity. I thought it would be best to see this before the new Bourne Supremecy in theatres now.

I need a temporary break in topic so I may go back and re-read these. My favourite Ludlum novels.

researchok
Is it only me- everytime I read a Ludlum novel, it seems they all blend together in some way..

moghrabi
Researchok. You really should read the book i am reading. You will love it.

researchok
Last Friedman book I read was 'From Beirut to Jerusalem'.

Did you read that?

moghrabi
yes. Very good. This one is all his New York Times articles. sixteen of them prior to 9/11 then after 9/11 till I think july 2003 and follows by his own addition of articles since he is limited to so many words per article. So he extends his thoughts in the last section.

Excellent book.

researchok
I'll check it out.

For the most part, I like him-- though at times, I think he oversimplifies history.

THATS the part that scares me. History has factual, political, emotional, social and in many cases (e.g., mid east) aspects, that cant be reduced to purely logical cause and effect assumptions.

Thats half the problem in the region-- way too much oversimplification.

vista
My other favourite storyteller is Jeffrey Archer. His novels that follow the life of a generation or two of a family (Kane & Abel, Prodigal Daughter, As the Crow Flies) are spellbinding and heartwrenching.

'gives one perspective on one's own life...

BTW, Bourne - great movie

researchok
I read those!

Did you know he ended up in prison- some kind of perjury charge, I think.

vista
Yeah I remember something. Prison? I didn't know. But he was a key Thatcher adviser.

Hmmm... Prison would give him time to write.

A google away... a summary of articles...

www.guardian.co.uk/archer/0,2759,180881,00.html (external - login to view)

researchok
see this. Its quite intersting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Archer (external - login to view)

Paco
Currently reading "100 Decisive Battles" by Paul K. Davis.

Just picked up a copy of "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu. It's up next.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Paco

Currently reading "100 Decisive Battles" by Paul K. Davis.

Is he the same Paul Davies that wrote 'The Last Three Minutes' which is a good book too, it discusses scenarios for the last three minutes of the universe. Fascinating reading!

Paco
No, not the same author. You're thinking of Paul C. W. Davies.

Paul K. Davis writes a lot of military related works. Some of it history and some modern military analysis.

A couple of his other works, for example:

Defense Planning for the Post-War Era

Deterrence and Influence in Counter Terrorism: A Component in the War on Al Qaeda

Haggis McBagpipe
Thanks, Paco. Your conservative viewpoint in this forum will, I think, make for some very interesting conversations. I'm looking forward to hearing your views. Your choice of a signature, just those two small words, says a good deal about your point of view.

American Voice
Molon Labe?

How does that translate?

Haggis McBagpipe
'Come and get them', a warrior's challenge.

Legend has it that a Spartan general said this rather than to lay down arms. Paco, is this correct? Do you have the story?

Paco
Aye Haggis. I wish to complement you on your knowledge. It doesn't seem to be a well known story and I don't understand why it does not receive more attention.

The story was recorded by Herodotus a Greek himself, so…

"In 480 B.C. the Persian Empire under King Xerxes, marched to invade Greece. The invading force numbered approximately 2 million (recorded by Herodotus). More modern estimates number the invaders from 150,000 to 180,000.

A force of three hundred Spartans was dispatched to the pass of Thermopylae, where the geography of the land favored a defending force. It was hoped, an elite force willing to sacrifice their lives could stall the invaders for a few days until the city states of Greece could muster its armies.

The defenders, led by a Spartan King named Leonidas held off the invaders for seven days.

Two memorials remain today at Thermopylae. Upon the modern one, called the Leonidas Monument is engraved his response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms.

Leonidas' reply was two words, “Molon labe” which translates to “Come and get them.”

Haggis McBagpipe
Thank you, Paco. It is a shame this story is not better known.

Paco
Gen. Tommy Franks Tells the Truth About Iraq (external - login to view)

"The Art of War" may have to wait. From the above link here are a couple of snips...

The man who led the Iraq War is retired from the military now...

Franks' new book, "American Solider," is coming out August 3. His publisher, Regan Books, is using the tag line... "The Man Who Will Tell You the Truth."

This book is loaded with revelations about the Iraq war. Loaded.

I can't reveal the revelations — I promised not to break the embargo — but I can tell you Gen. Franks' book will change the political debate in this country in a few important ways.

Franks is a registered independent, and he takes some whacks at the Republicans as well as the Democrats. He criticizes some high-placed people for things he thinks were mistakes in this war.

My curiosity is peaked.