A new bicycle.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
I last purchased a bicycle in 1973, a Liberia touring bike. It was stolen in 1977. I haven't owned a bike since. Lately, I have been thinking about purchasing a new one. Ten-speed, ram-horn handlebars, leather saddle, rear-wheel fender, and so on. Any recommendations? I want to spend about $200 USD, tops; that's about $265 CAD.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Sounds as though you want what is called a 'comfort bike', great for commuting and just goofing off around town. In that price range I believe you might like the retro-style Schwinns, they're gorgeous, good quality and reasonably priced.

I doubt very much that you'd get a leather saddle with that, they cost about as much as what you want to spend on a bike (not quite, but I paid $130 just for my saddle).

If the retro-styling means little, try Costco, they have better quality bikes for less money as opposed to just-plain-cheap bikes that you might get at other stores.

Bike shops are unlikely to have anything in the price range you're looking at, unless you're okay with second-hand, which is a GREAT way to buy a bike, as far as that goes.

Try them out first, see if you like the feel of a road bike or a mountain bike or a hybrid/comfort bike. The all ride very differently. Go for a real test drive on one, not just around the parking lot.

Hope this helps.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Retro? Yeah, I remember my red Schwinn 26-inch bike. Carried papers on it. A couple of years ago, in the fall, I was raking up some leaves that had fallen in the front yard. A stranger approached me, coming up the hill--we live at mid-block, with an alley beside us. It took me a couple of moments to recognize him, a guy I'd gone to grade school with. I hadn't seen him in a lot of years, not since high school. He was in Columbus from Austin, working a season on the railroad, to accumulate capital for his goldsmithing business back in Austin. He said, "You don't remember me, do you?" When he spoke, it was Sessin Durgham. I said, "Yes, I do. Remember the time Mr. Edwards got so pissed off because I said the word 'draft dodger'?" He smiled. Anyway, he riding his old red Schwinn 26-inch, with no fenders. I asked him if I could go for a ride. He said I could, if I'd let him rake some leaves. Deal. I rode down the street to our old grade school, and what a rush that was, whizzing around the old schoolyard! What a rush!

I think I'm probably going to have to up the ante, Haggis. I could go as high as six hundred, maybe. My older brother bought a motorcycle last year. I'll have to ask him if maybe he could sell me his bike, cheap.

Oh, and I like your avatar. Is that an hommage to "Poltergeist?"

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
American Voice said:
I think I'm probably going to have to up the ante, Haggis. I could go as high as six hundred, maybe. My older brother bought a motorcycle last year. I'll have to ask him if maybe he could sell me his bike, cheap.

Oh, and I like your avatar. Is that an hommage to "Poltergeist?"

Neat story, American.

Six hundred is better, and for that you can get a good retro comfort bike... or a pretty good mountain bike... or a damn fine second-hand road bike. I am not really familiar with American prices, because it isn't just a matter of the dollar difference, bikes are, I believe cheaper overall stateside.

Your number one priority should be to test several bikes before buying, especially establish which type of bike you want.

Good luck and happy riding! You just want to careen through puddles too, doncha!

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
OH, I just got this big, bad, awful crush on you, Haggis. You better not be a guy! :oops:

I canvassed the local bike market this afternoon. To replace the one I had back in the '70's would run at least $2000 USD. I've just got to hope that that Abeneezer Scrooge brother of mine will sell me his.

By the way, here's a reliable link that will provide you will current rates of exchange between a number of national currencies:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Did you establish a link to a purveyor of Converse All-Stars? Please, PM it to me. I'd be most grateful.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
American Voice said:
By the way, here's a reliable link that will provide you will current rates of exchange between a number of national currencies:

Did you establish a link to a purveyor of Converse All-Stars? Please, PM it to me. I'd be most grateful.

Thanks for the link, although what I meant to say was, bicycles are just cheaper in the states irrespective of exchange rate.

Haven't found a Conversicator yet, haven't had time today, but hopefully tomorrow will, and yes, will PM the info to you.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Thanks. I gotta go. I'm over my hours. I'll service the twenty questions game faithfully, but otherwise a low profile. See ya after the 12th. Cheers!