Ponderables: Pick an era, any era

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Bloody hell, Haggis that is such a great question! Quick, let me try to be the first in the rush to answer it.

Assuming I can't go into the future, which is where I'd like to go, I'd like to go back to the dawn of civilization, the earliest years... but only if I had a round ticket, I think.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
A round ticket? Tickets are generally rectangular in shape, aren't they? Ah, I see: you are speculating that tickets issued in the primeval mists most likely had a circular shape. Or, perhaps, spherical. Now I know :idea: you need to go back in time to hunt for your lost marbles! Zo, how long have you been having zis dream?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Yes, there has been considerable evidence to suggest that tickets of that era were round.

Speculation has it that the Round Ticket, which is what they called it at that time - 'unnnngh urk argh unn ack' - was, in fact, very instrumental in the eventual invention of the wheel and the donut.

It is interesting to note that prior to the invention of the wheel, ticket holders had rather long waits at depots.

One must not suppose the depots at the dawn of civilization to be anything like the modern stations we enjoy today. They lacked many of the modern amenities, Starbucks is a notable example of, as prehistoric man was wont to say, Amenities-We-Sure-Wish-We-Had - ''unnnngh urk argh unn ack'.

There is some speculation that the lack of Starbucks and other amenities explains the poor posture of prehistoric man, the prevailing view being: slumped stance = depressed prehistoric man. This makes perfect sense when one considers the hardships involved, whereas a prehistoric man had to wait for transportation that never came, with a ticket that didn't fit well in the wallet, and without so much as a decent cup of coffee.

Hope this helps.

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
hahahah Haggis you crack me up!!! lol :D

If I could pick an era to live in...I would have to say the 1700-1800s. Now granted I wouldnt live long since they didn't have any sort of antiobiotics and the common cold could potentially kill you. But I have found it a very interesting era.

Or I would either choose the egyptian age in like 500 BC? Something BC....But the egytpians have always been an interesting culture.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I would like to live in the WWII times.. The technology advances at that time amaze me. I would definately have wanted to have something to do with that.

Lisa

Electoral Member
May 22, 2004
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
What a good question! Well if it cannot be the future I would like to go back to the Elizabethan age (and of course to England). Euhm can i also be a Catholic? Because, well else i would be killed by Eliza and i would rather dislike that

Also, i would then like to be of some importance, aristocracy or something because if you were a woman (which actually is accurate for humanity up until the 1890's) you would be automatically be treated as inferior to men.

Yes, i have got some demands, byt hey they are needed for those times.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Haggis you certainly come up with unusual topics. I would say I would choose the late 1800 to early 1900, but only if I can return with what I know now :D I would hook up with my relatives from Scotland who came over on the oatmeal boat the hector and make sure they were no where near halifax when the explosion happened. But than again if I did that I might not be here now.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
peapod said:
Haggis you certainly come up with unusual topics. I would say I would choose the late 1800 to early 1900, but only if I can return with what I know now :D I would hook up with my relatives from Scotland who came over on the oatmeal boat the hector and make sure they were no where near halifax when the explosion happened. But than again if I did that I might not be here now.

Ahhh, the lovely dilemma. If you went back and warned them, you'd've never been born, and if you were never born you could not go back to warn them in which case you WOULD have been born... and so it goes...

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Actually, I'd like to go back (with a return ticket, of course), only one generation.

I'd like to have witnessed, for my self, the generation that went from horse and buggy, iceboxes, gas lamps, etc., to an era of cars, planes, electricty, computers, space shuttles and the internet.

A great regret of mine was not vodeo taping my grandparents reminiscences befor they passed.

If you have older relatives, I think it would make for a great family project.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
We share this regret, Research. I recall my impatience when my parents talked of old times, now I'd do anything to sit quietly and listen.

I'd like to - and this will sound insane, but if one is only visiting another time briefly, it is not so insane - live through a major hard time such as the Depression Era, or the bombing of London, or something like that.

I'd like to witness the human spirit as people struggle against overwhelming odds. We face few such challenges today, we are not challenged in such a profound way. I wonder if we're even up for it.

Yes, September 11th brought iwth it tales of courage, but the stories show that many of the people embraced the grief and horror and refused to let it go. In many cases, it paralyzed them instead of strengthening them.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
The paralysis you describe in your lasr paragraph, I think, is pretty universal, a nuanced Darwinism, I think.

I too, would have liked to have witnessed the bombing of London, etc.

I'd also like to have seen some of the horrors, from the seige of Leningrad to the camps in Europe, to Pol Pot and even Saddam.

There is much to learn from the misuse of our potential.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
You know Haggis, we ought to start a thread of our parents reminiscences, for example, how/where they met, etc., for starters.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Look at the bright side-- theres hope for us both.

Lots being done in the field of genetic defects.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Please donate, help us find a cure for forum addiction. Be generous, this crippling disease affects millions, leaving families bereft. Carpal tunnel syndrome is only one of the many lethal side-effects, caffeine addiction is another... specifically addiction to organic Mexican coffee. Open your wallets, send in your money now. But wait. With each donation of $25 or more you will receive a set of Ginsu knives. Don't pick up that phone yet, there's more. If you act now, your ginsu knives will be authenticated by a signature from a Person Crippled By Forum Addiction. Call now, 1-800-555-1212. Help those who can't help themselves.