Got a green thumb?

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
I'm a huge gardening freak...so anyways, if there is anyone else here with a green thumb... I need some advice on a couple plants.

I always seem to have problems with my "morning glories" the leaves always seem to get spotted. I checked all the leaves carefully. I don't see any appearence of insects, I even check them in the middle of the night to check for night insects, nothing. I just planted them not to long ago, so I don't think they need fertilizing....course i heard with these you don't even really need fertilizer. They liek full sun. So I dunno...i used really good dirt this time. I think they hate me ;)

I'm also needing information on some mums....anyone have much experience with them? Any tips would be great thanks :)

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Where I am, morning glories are weeds, essentially. They are prolific seed producers. Where does your seed some from? You may need to just leave it to natural selection, for adapted specimens to evolve. A successful native strain will have resistance to whatever is causing the spots on the foliage--probably a fungus. Look around your neighborhood. Do you see anyone with morning glories that are healthy and, therefore, immune to the local fungus that is lethal to the plants grown from your, presumably, imported seeds? Ask if you can harvest seeds from their adapted strain.

Have you looked at clematis? They are climbers, as well, with larger, stunningly beautiful, and more durable flowers.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Here is how I categorize plants:

red flowers
yellow flowers
big flowers
little flowers
dead flowers
things that climb on stuff
things that don't
things that die when I don't water them
things that die when I do water them
grass
weeds (I can grow weeds)

That's pretty well it for me and gardening. As for the clematis, that sounds more like a drink, a Bloody Clematis.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
I live in my quarter-acre jungle here in the midst of an urban desert. All manner of critters and birds dwell with me here. Sandmannchen, too. I even ran into a doe mule deer about a month ago. She was nibbling the tender tips of a Persian lilac growing next to house. When I came around the corner, I don't know which of us was the more startled. She wheeled and bolted. That is the joy of gardening, the unexpected. Two distant cousins of barberry have conjoined to give me a volunteer bush of unique character. The joy of discovery. I encourage all of you, acquire a patch of ground if you are able, and cultivate it.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
We live in a very old farmhouse on an apple orchard just outside the city, with nothing but apple trees and wide open green spaces.

We have so many birds, we go through a bird feeder of food every day... chickadees, yellow-headed blackbirds, redwinged blackbirds, finches, killdeer, wrens, mourning doves, robins, quail, and the list could go on for days! We have several coyotes that live on the property. We have a red-tailed hawk and great horned owl as well. We are well-stocked with birds and other critters. Mice, oh well, we have mice. In fact, leave the kitchen window open and we have all the world's mice in our house within a day.

Still, as for 'cultivated' flowers, we don't do well at all.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
I envy you. I am confined to an inner-urban oasis, hemmed in by cold, hard-hearted arbor- and horticides. It's a great shame, how some people are that way. There is a mentality that confirms ownership by destruction of the property.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
You make your own Paradise. I have lived in what would be termed 'slums', living in a little space not much bigger than your typical modern-day bedroom closet. I was just as happy there as I am here. Other things make life happy, make life good. I have loved every place I've ever lived, for one reason or another.

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
Well my mums are growing back.

I think I am managing ok with teh morning glories in my hanging basket...

I think the morning glories are doing better now. I do know, that sometimes its better to take back some of the leafs so it can leave the plant to concentrate more on the blooms.

I bought an ivy, and tossed it into a nice big pot since it was root bound in its original...now its getting a strange purple tint to the leaves. I think not enough sun light....

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I wish I did know more about plants! I am hopeless. I am amazed at my ability to slaughter plants willy nilly. You are fortunate to have a green thumb, that's for sure. When someone gives me a plant, I have to ask them if it bothers them to be delivering the death penalty to an innocent plant.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Well, that's your problem, LuShes. Morning glories are climbers, you've got to get their feet down in the earth, and give them a good support to ascend. Ivy will grow anywhere: climb, trail, invade--when I mistakenly planted English ivy as ground cover over soil I had banked against the foundation, the stuff was so darned invasive that one creeper of it penetrated the frame of the house, and emerged inside this room, thrugh the cold air duct! Damnedest stuff. Ruins mortar joints. Anyway, your morning glories need to be in the soil. Nothing like that particular shade of blue.