Who would you have dinner with? (Who Would You Have Dinner With)

JSz
If there was one person in history or present day you could choose to have dinner with, who would it be and why?

personal touch
my grandmother

MHz
One of my parents before they had me.

gopher
+1
Wow - didn't know the forum existed in 2002!

shadowshiv
For today (I would choose a different person every day), I would choose Adolph Hitler, but before he became the psychotic, mass-murdering monster. It would be when he was first starting out as an artist. I would like to hear him talk about his art, and see what (if any) signs there were that he would become one of the world's most reviled people.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Jessica Biel. I'd eat her in one sitting.

shadowshiv
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Jessica Biel. I'd eat her in one sitting.

Mark, it was 'who would you have dinner with', not who would you have for dinner.

Not that I disagree with your choice.

Ludlow
Can't think of any famous person.

damngrumpy
My grandfather on my mothers side of the family. He was apparently associated
with Sam Bronfman. Grandpa was a horse trader and knew the legal maneuvers
of how selling booze across provincial lines worked. Grandpa was Irish Sam
Jewish but they got along fine. All went very well in the booze business in the
early 1900's and when prohibition came to be. Things apparently went south when
Sam's brother in law was murdered for about 7 thousand dollars and a shipment
of booze hijacked by bootleggers near Bienfiet Saskatchewan, I believe its just east
of Estevan
At any rate not long after that incident grandpa was run down by a car in Yorkton as
the story goes and that was shortly before my mother was born. It would be interesting
to know who else he knew and who did him in. I have always been interested in the
event but it shall remain a mystery.
The only real tie in was my aunt who lived to well into her nineties she told me she
remembered Sam coming to the farm in Saltcoats Sask and he always brought a bowl
of fruit. She was about eight years old back then

talloola
+1
whomever is buying, cause its usually me.

SLM
+1
My grandmother because it was always so rare that I got a chance to spend some time alone with her and she was always the one most dearest to my heart.

Blackleaf
Karl Pilkington.

“This is where Diana had her photo taken when she was having her problems with Charlie. Everyone said this is why she looked so miserable, but to be honest I think she was just sick of being in India.”

gopher
+3
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Mark, it was 'who would you have dinner with', not who would you have for dinner.

He meant having her for dessert.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Oooooh okay, but certainly you could understand my confusion.

Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert.

I'm easy Goph

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JSzView Post

If there was one person in history or present day you could choose to have dinner with, who would it be and why?

Jim Bridger might be very interesting what with his knowledge of the Old West and all it's heroes and scoundrels.

Blackleaf
And also Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. I can't leave out the other two thirds of the trio.

shadowshiv
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

I must admit that I enjoy eating pie, particularly one that looks so tasty.

BaalsTears
Captain James Cook. I would love to understand the mind of one of the great explorers during the Age of Discovery.

Ludlow
Minnie The Moocher.

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier;

Oooooh okay, but certainly you could understand my confusion.

Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert.

I'm easy Goph

Ah, it is so good to know you are open minded!

Dixie Cup
+2
Definitely my grandmother. I loved her dearly -especially her cabbage rolls!!

gopher
for me, there's no one that compares with my ideal dinner date Maude Adams:

Ludlow
mott the hoople

Sal
+1
Jung

hands down I always choose Jung

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Jung

hands down I always choose Jung

Well yeah, of course because with Freud it's always "p*enis this and envy that". Sometimes a girl just wants to eat a damned banana.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Well yeah, of course because with Freud it's always "p*enis this and envy that". Sometimes a girl just wants to eat a damned banana.

LOL happy Saturday morning to ya...

and you are correct, sometimes a girl just wants to eat a damn banana

Freud would be interesting too...he did actually accept that all of those female patients had actually been raped and/or molested by fathers and brothers and uncles. He just knew it would destroy his career if he publicly accepted it. He was right. He was brilliant and lauded as the go to for over a century.

In the other thread that Das has running about normal behavior he asks if society makes the rules and essentially I think he is right. What is acceptable at a given time is the very thing that becomes "the norm". then things change and devolve or evolve depending upon the state of the world at the time. I think that too is about survival.

The difference today I think anyway "boats against the current" has gained ground...there are more people willing to admit they readily accept aspects of the tin foil hat group...because frequently history has proven the tin foil hat group actually are correct in various ways at various times.

It's level of tolerance according to survival that drives it.

But I think Jung is one of the most brilliant albeit STRANGE and interesting characters that I have come across. A dinner conversation would be enthralling.

JLM

LOL happy Saturday morning to ya...

But I think Jung is one of the most brilliant albeit STRANGE and interesting characters that I have come across. A dinner conversation would be enthralling.

I read a book about Carl Jung about ten years ago, pretty heavy going as I remember and actually downright boring in places, but to each his own. -

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I read a book about Carl Jung about ten years ago, pretty heavy going as I remember and actually downright boring in places, but to each his own. -

lol....maybe you picked a bad author...what did it focus on JLM?

JLM
+1

lol....maybe you picked a bad author...what did it focus on JLM?

My memory is good but it's short. Biographical perhaps. Pretty much covered his life and his work.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

My memory is good but it's short. Biographical perhaps. Pretty much covered his life and his work.

okay...that's fair...here are some quotes from him so you can get a feel for his take on the human perspective:
  • Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
  • We are born at a given moment, in a given place and, like vintage years of wine, we have the qualities of the year and of the season of which we are born. Astrology does not lay claim to anything more.
  • Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.
  • The healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.
  • When an inner situation is not made conscious, it appears outside as fate.
  • We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect. The judgement of the intellect is only part of the truth.