Fifth graders make slave auction posters for school assignment

Kathie Bondar
I am kind of tired of bleeding for the issue. Remember, blacks in Africa were often sold to the slave trade by their own. Just like jews can't stop vining for what happened in WWII.

Curious Cdn
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Kathie BondarView Post

I am kind of tired of bleeding for the issue. Remember, blacks in Africa were often sold to the slave trade by their own. Just like jews can't stop vining for what happened in WWII.

My people were enslaved by the Romans 2000 years ago and I am DEMANDING compensation from the Italian government.

Make my Ferrari ... um .... blue.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by Kathie BondarView Post

As long as the truth is told I like to learn about other humans. Everyone should learn histories of places they live. Everyone wants to be heard

Remington1
Slavery existed before the cotton field, and even though the cotton field masters liberated their slaves realizing that modern times absolutely would not tolerate such self servicing, disgusting abuse of other, it continued and bloomed in some parts of the world where slavery includes much more barbaric practices, child brides, child labor, child trafficking, sex slaves, and of course labour slavery, etc.. # 1 is India with an estimated 14.3 million people bound into slavery; next is China with 3.2 million slaves; 3rd is Pakistan 2.1 million; 4th Uzbekistan with 1.2 million and 5th is Russia with 1.0 Million, following these are a few African countries. These figures are from the 2014 Global Slavery Index. Walk - Free Foundation claims that slavery stands at 35.8 million worldwide.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1View Post

Slavery existed before the cotton field, and even though the cotton field masters liberated their slaves realizing that modern times absolutely would not tolerate such self servicing, disgusting abuse of other, it continued and bloomed in some parts of the world where slavery includes much more barbaric practices, child brides, child labor, child trafficking, sex slaves, and of course labour slavery, etc.. # 1 is India with an estimated 14.3 million people bound into slavery; next is China with 3.2 million slaves; 3rd is Pakistan 2.1 million; 4th Uzbekistan with 1.2 million and 5th is Russia with 1.0 Million, following these are a few African countries. These figures are from the 2014 Global Slavery Index. Walk - Free Foundation claims that slavery stands at 35.8 million worldwide.

No no no , it was only those evil Americans that ever enslaved people .

B00Mer
Ya just can't find good help these days.

spaminator
New Jersey school's slave auction reenactment sparks outrage | World | News | To

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

No no no , it was only those evil Americans that ever enslaved people .

Boy howdy, you just love the tu quoque fallacy, don'tcha?

TenPenny
+1
I don't understand the outrage; are the kids supposed to be taught that such things never happened?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I don't understand the outrage; are the kids supposed to be taught that such things never happened?

Rape and wifebeating happened too. They were both legal at the time. Would you suggest we have kids re-create them in schools?

TenPenny
Don't need to, many kids see it first hand already. It's hard to witness a slave auction these days.

Tecumsehsbones

Don't need to, many kids see it first hand already.

Shouldn't we re-enact it for the poor kids who don't get to see it at home? In the name of history, of course.

Mokkajava
+1

I was about to agree with you until I read the second article. The lesson in creating the posters, while unorthodox to some maybe, had value in giving everyone in class the same opportunity of considering what it means to put a monetary value on another human based on physical attributes, and to devalue them as individuals with minds, thoughts, and feelings.The second lesson though singled out one kid and isolated him in a role of ridicule based on the colour of his skin.

Sure the kids need to be taught what happened... but there are definitely right and obviously wrong ways to go about that.

no new posts